The Music Thread - Currently Listening To

Baley

Hey, Drabs. The one with the nice lady emoting and crying tears of pleasure? Oh yes. Well, how much Steve Albini have you heard? Early noise|industrial|punk rock or something like that, I think it's bloody great. Major Touch and Go band. They're gonna be playing a few tracks at the Touch and Go 25th Anniversary.

I've posted this before, but it should still make a lot of people wet. Shame I'm poor, eh?

Have you ever read Our Band Could Be Your Life? I've been thinking about picking it up.

And thanks for the tips, I'll go shop surfing tomorrow.

Edited by Baley

Yeah, that's the album cover I'm referencing. Definitely jumps off the rack at you...

I think Albini produced pixies records right? And Nirvana too, IIRC. I have heard good things about that book, but have not read it.

Frank Black - Hang On To Your Ego

A cover of a Beach Boys song that Brian Wilson wimped out on and changed the lyrics to: "I Know There's an Answer."

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

I think Albini produced pixies records right? And Nirvana too, IIRC. I have heard good things about that book, but have not read it.

Yeah, the guy definitely gets around. Man, I mean I was sure about bands like Tar, Tad, The Jesus Lizard or Melt Banana, but I hadn't realised how many of the albums I have the dude's engineered.

Big Black - Precious Thing.

I liked it so much, I decided I need to listen to Pancho and Lefty again. There's a peculiar quality to the song.

Now, I'm listening to Guantan Amera -- Celia Cruz.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I loooooove that album cover. :wacko:

Here's something very, very odd. Apparently, Jim Davis decided to make several very unfunny Garfield comic strips back in 1989. "What's so shocking about that," you say. "Garfield is never funny!"

"Ha ha ha," I reply. But these strips are intentionally thought-provoking and there's even a "popular" theory that all subsequent strips are delusions as Garfield starves to death in an abandoned house.

Creepy, eh?

Of course, the reason I came across this odd piece of internet jetsam is because the song playing in the background is "Bonnie Brae" off the latest Twilight Singers record.

Garfield is Dead?

That was different. Of course with a great song like that, you could have posted some dead rat picture and I still would have sat through it.

The Beach Boys - Wouldn't It Be Nice?

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

That was different.  Of course with  a great song like that, you could have posted some dead rat picture and I still would have sat through it.

The Beach Boys  -  Wouldn't It Be Nice?

Ah one of my favorite Beach Boys songs. Have you ever heard the original "Hang on to your Ego?" I think it was on the same album as Wouldn't it be Nice. Although, you might have a hits comp, god knows the beach boys put out enough of them.

Anyway, yeah, it was a potshot at some of his contemporaries (I've heard Lennon), and Mike Love whined that they change it. "I Know There's an Answer" is the tepid result.

Joe Jackson Band - On Your Radio

No, TBH I don't have any BB albums or anything, just that one song. *Hint hint*

All I really think of whenever I hear of those guys is Brian Wilson sitting in a sandbox and Charles Manson... :wacko:

Dwight Twilley -

..live!

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Ah the beach boys were very good at what they did. I seem to remember Baley (was it Baley?) calling them heavily overrated, and that may be true, but they were still very good, dammit!

I also forgot that Ted Leo signed to Touch and Go a few months back. That would be a pretty rockin set of bands (most of whom even I've never heard of, but I trust T&G's rep as a great label).

Goddamn if we don't have to keep this music thread going ourselves sometimes. Ah, I see Krookie is in here too. Maybe he'll post something brand new for us to read.

Yeah, that was a pretty bad joke.

The quality isn't great, but I love the song.

Edit: Johnny Hickman tears up the solo. Gotta love it.

Edited by Darth Drabek

Touch And Go used to feature the Lemonheads before they were signed by a major label, if I remember correctly.

And if anyone else can remember this song, congratulate yourself on being old!

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

hahaha

Centerfold is a classic.

I'm off to listen to more spanish guitar. I finally got a new cd! Don't worry, I won't bore you guys with the details!

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Tom Petty - Mary Jane's Last Dance

That was JGBs' lead singer Peter Wolf on his debut solo single. Ah, to be eleven again... >_<

And for the record, Freeze Frame stands out as my favorite song from the J Geils Band. It's just too catchy.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

SInce we're waxing nostalgic here, I'll contribute my final song before logging off for the night:

George Harrison -

See if you can recognize the male lead in this video. He's a rogue demon hunter, youknow. Plus I prefer this version to that lame one with the animated room.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

One of my old bands used to cover Mary Jane's Last Dance. We used to cover Twilight Zone too, and there's actually a recording of that one. I'll have to dig that one up sometime.

I gotta say though... I liked the song a lot more when I didn't know the video took place in a morgue. It's actually pretty damn creepy, isn't it? Especially when he's dancing with the dead girl.... hoo boy.

The Rolling Stones - Loving Cup

Phish covers this song, and it's actually very good. I'm not a hippie though, I swear. :ph34r:

Ohhhhhhhh.... what a beautiful buzz!

Oh the animated room video was a classic. Very bad, yeah, but still classic in a pop culture trivia way. >_<

I don't know who the dude is. The comments even give me a lead, but I still have no idea.

Iron Maiden - Hallowed Be Thy Name

UP THE IRONS!!!

@ baley: some rap lyrics are indeed witty, clever and even beautiful, i just dont think 2pac is. and i mean no offense, as i have friends who listen to rap religiously and i include rap albums in my all time top 10. hell, i'd go see dizzee or cage or doom or kool keith in a split second if they came to this wretched, frozen country. but mainstream rap, post doggystyle & 36 chambers is just all about bling. making money. and i really cant relate to that. neither can i relate to glorified gang banging, which seemed to have been the dominant subejct in rap lyrics in the 90s. the 2000s have so far been worse, all the good artists are deep, deep underground with no hope on getting to the charts. people like 2pac, biggie and p diddlydoo have ruined rap as people think it's just that. when it's not. or isnt supposed to be. or something.

now that i read what i wrote, it doesnt make any sense and is generally incorrect and i'm overlooking tons and tons of great rappers who sold a lot but never sold out. but my opinion stands. rap today is saturated with so-so rappers who have the neptunes or whoever behind them and sell a lot because of that. and imo thats just wrong.

/end rant.

ps. that 8 am all day is a classic.

i'm at work, so i have to listen to stuff from my nano

on topic:

cage - grand ol' party crash (feat jello biafra)