Cutesy is Good

RE is not doing too good since RE1, they are pretty much doing the same thing over and over again.

I really liked 3. Being chased around and not knowing quite when he would pop up added a lot of tension.

When I first played it I didnt know you could kill him. Pumping that many bullets into something and it not falling over dosnt usually bode well. So I did a lot of running and dodging as he followed me around.

The last one I played was Code Veronica (unless you count RE0 which I gave up on pretty early).

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Hate to break it to you but RE 4 has nothing to do with the T virus, G virus, or even Umbrella. I saw some of the pics inthe game and it looks downright awesome. That chain saw wielding guy can really take a bite out of Leon. Another thing that there are no area transition screens like the doors. Hell there won't be any cut scenes either. Its going to be straight on dialog and action. The action being of course running the hell away from the chain saw wielding fruit cake who is wearing a burlap sack.

^Nice to have you here, Jackalmonkey.

thx will b here all wk.

Come to think of it: no, I will most certainly not be here all week. See, I only stopped by because severxsever helpfully mentioned that this place is a retard warren, and now and again I like posting in a forum where I have absolutely nothing to lose. For instance, watch me now as I blatantly insult a moderator:

HEY FIONAVAR. NICE FACE. I'LL BET YOU SOMETIMES EAT FOOD WITH IT. AND THAT WHEN YOU DO, YOU BECOME FULL AFTER A CERTAIN PERIOD OF TIME. AND THEN NO LONGER WISH TO EAT ANY MORE FOOD. HAHAHA.

Okay, so I'm not good at insulting people. This is really beside the point, which is: I don't intend to be here for any significant period of time, but thanks for the welcome anyway.

A dull boy.

Um ... welll um ... I'll try to imagine that we are still on topic and that ... well now I'm hungry ...

FLoSD.ObE

Note: Thread has been earmarked for possible derailment closure ;) (Wow that sounded official, eh?)

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

So... getting back on the subject... which is the fact that cute graphics are the be all and end all of... of graphics. Dammit, buggered that up.

Anyway, here are some awesome games with cute graphics.

Mario Kart.

Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2.

OK, true, they're neither PC games nor RPGs, but I think they still illustrate my point that cute graphics are rad. If there were more PC games with cute graphics (other than the two awesome ones I've already mentioned), then I could use them as examples of PC games with cute graphics (hopefully, ones that rock. That would help my point.)

So Delaware should employ cute graphics so I can forever use it as an example of awesomeness.

The FFVIII demo for PC had "cute" graphics... the game(-demo) s**ed :p

I'll give it the benefit of the doubt though, that it *might* have been better in japanese and on a console.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

hmm, I'm not really a fan of cute graphics - especially in RPGs - I much prefer realistically drawn characters and locations.

Final Fantasy 6 is fairly cute, but I think that was more because of SNES's limited graphics than design. It's still a great game.

Come to think of it, one of my all-time favorite RPGs is cute as hell -- Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana 2) . This game is so cute it'll make you puke. Try not to laugh when you first see Rabites bouncing around.

Btw, I tried Zelda on Gamecube, and I find it almost too cute to play. I'm not likely to complete it any time soon.

*spits*

Cutesy .. urrggh... vomit...

Seriously though:

Good gameplay is good gameplay and the cutesy overlay really is immaterial, in fact the games would have been even better with realistic graphics.

All that cutesy graphics do is make is possibly more attractive to infants and nappy wearing teenagers (if there are any) :D

And yes many are there to copy the display format of certain anime cartoons which although interesting in minor amounts is EASILY overused.

People who take this topic seriously are cute.

Disgaea's an example of a good game with cutesy graphics. The Japanese can definitely go overboard in that department, though.

I like lush, detailed, well-designed graphics, in any style. If the base illustrations aren't interesting, it doesn't matter whether they're implemented "realistically" or "cartoony", the graphics are gonna be dull. And if the base art it excellent and the graphics programmers know what they're doing, the graphics will be good.

Disgaea's an example of a good game with cutesy graphics. The Japanese can definitely go overboard in that department, though.

Wait till you see La Pucelle.

Link to follow..

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/lapucelle/...ens.html?page=4

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I've seen it. In fact, I... um never mind ;).

It looks fun. The thing about Disgaea, and probably La Pucelle, is that those cute graphics cover for gobs of sarcasm, a good dose of evilness, and incredible amounts of gameplay complexity and depth. They're cute like an evil little gnome with a poisoned dagger and a workable plan to conquer the world is cute.

"Cute" only works when trying to mimic a anime look,

Nonsense. Twinsen and Beyond Good And Evil are both clearly cute, both clearly rad, and both clearly not trying to mimic an anime look. Same with the cow in Black and White, although I haven't actually played that game, and don't really plan to.

"Cute" only works when trying to mimic a anime look,

Nonsense. Twinsen and Beyond Good And Evil are both clearly cute, both clearly rad, and both clearly not trying to mimic an anime look. Same with the cow in Black and White, although I haven't actually played that game, and don't really plan to.

Maybe , but its only when the Japanese do it that it seems to get wide term acceptance.

Pokemon, Duel Monsters, Yugi Oh, Final Fantasy Crystal, Legend of Mana take your pick..

478327[/snapback]

Well theirs has more acceptance, but then again, they do it more often. They have more series, and have mastered it quite well. Twinsen was definetely "cute", but the styles are different. Each worked on their own.

Also, Pokemon and Yugi Oh seem to be more accepted, true, but not necessarily because of the anime style, but rather because of the whole merchandise surrounding them. Don't also forget how Mana and CC are made by Square. Most things that Square do are widely accepted, even if they were using good anime in it or not.