Pluto demoted

metadigital

I think it's more interesting that Pluto-Charon was a "binary planet" group.

It is good news, because instead of it being a "well, we called it a planet, so keep it", being a planet is according to rules.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Ohno. Pluto was the only "planet" that was discovered by an american, therefore it was kind of "the american planet". Now America has no planets.

A dwarf planet?! How degrading is that? "Your **** isn't big enough to be called a ****, but don't worry about it, we'll just call it a dwarf ****, it's just as good!".

Well it's not like anyother country that is still around has discoverd any of the planets (besides possibly Egypt).

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Well it's not like anyother country that is still around has discoverd any of the planets (besides possibly Egypt).

Uranus was quite late, I think. I'll head off to Wikipedia to check.

Edit: Yup. William Herschel did the deed. I guess Germany and Britain can share that one, though the Greeks, Egyptians, Chinese and/or Japanese are still somewhat in the lead. :ermm:

Edited by SteveThaiBinh

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Can anyone post a link to the standards used when deciding what is a planet and what is not? This is an honest request, by the way.

At any rate, I fail to see the relevance of this, beyond the small change to school programs that this change entails.

Must be a slow week for news agencies...

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Slow week? What are you talking about? Some guy confessed to the Jon Benet Ramsey murder!!1189! That's like six months of news stories right there!

Please: no one start a thread about it, because I don't want to read any more about a Caucasian American child beauty queen from a wealthy family who got abused and killed. Yes, it's tragic, but it happens to other people too and their families don't become national tabloid darlings.

Woo... sorry 'bout that. I better have another beer before I get too worked up.

Anyway, yeah. Pluto, what a bummer. Maybe Disney will change the dog's name to Neptune now. Although the whole "god of the sea" thing doesn't really fit a dog's name from my perspective, but then - I'm just rambling.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Can anyone post a link to the standards used when deciding what is a planet and what is not? This is an honest request, by the way.

At any rate, I fail to see the relevance of this, beyond the small change to school programs that this change entails.

Must be a slow week for news agencies...

This from Wikipedia:

A planet within our solar system is defined by the International Astronomical Union as a celestial body that is in orbit around the Sun, has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a hydrostatic equilibrium (nearly round) shape, and has cleared the neighbourhood around its orbit. Those bodies which fulfil the first two conditions but not the third are dwarf planets if they are not satellites.

I agree that it's a story of very little practical importance, but still it's of huge interest to a great many people, probably everyone who studied science at school. Something that we thought we knew absolutely has changed forever. Well, until the next meeting of the IAU at least. :D

This is dumb.

There's no reason to change the darn classifications. :)

As I understand it, they haven't changed the criteria for being a planet, they've created them. Before, there was nothing but convention and tradition.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Anyway, yeah. Pluto, what a bummer. Maybe Disney will change the dog's name to Neptune now. Although the whole "god of the sea" thing doesn't really fit a dog's name from my perspective, but then - I'm just rambling.

Yeah, but calling a (presumably) cute puppy Pluto is either ironic or invokes the original Roman latin cognate of the Greek word "Ploutos" (wealth), and was considered by the Romans as the giver of gold, silver, and other subterranean substances (and only later conflated with the Greek god of the spiritual underworld (Hades), and then the Christian Satan).

So Neptune would be fine, except the dog would probably need to eat a lot more, to get bigger.

Also, Mickey should really get another dog called Charon, and the two puppies be inseperable ... unless Pluto had a sibling that we haven't been told about yet ... ZOMG! Story! ©!

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Apparently Earth is no longer a planet. Link

But Dr Stern pointed out that Earth, Mars, Jupiter and Neptune have also not fully cleared their orbital zones. Earth orbits with 10,000 near-Earth asteroids. Jupiter, meanwhile, is accompanied by 100,000 Trojan asteroids on its orbital path.

These rocks are all essentially chunks of rubble left over from the formation of the Solar System more than four billion years ago.

"If Neptune had cleared its zone, Pluto wouldn't be there," he added.

Edited by Deraldin

It has been a while

But back you are, Mithrandir

It makes me happy

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds