Remember PhysX?

mkreku

http://usa.asus.com/event/physx/card.html

Apparently Asus has decided to release an Ageia PhysX physics card now.

Asus deal includes GRAW in the package, which may make it more worthwhile than the BFG card. Those are the only two manufacturers that I've heard of that even bothered making PhysX cards..

I wonder what made Asus jump on the sinking Ageia ship now..? Did I miss something?

Edit: Uhm.. it seems my hardware vendors were the ones missing the Asus:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2751

Apparently it's been out since May. Oh well.

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

That's old news. However PhysX is dying and needs a savior quick. All this card does is make my computer noisier. Hell, it's not even that powerful. I spawn like 30,000 boxes in the Physx SDK, and it lags.

Edit: the point when physx takes a dump (10 fps seriously)

post-1750-1156414993_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bokishi

Interesting. I was looking into this PhysX card for my new computer, but the list of games that can use it is very short and nothing really that I'd like. Nevertheless the DELL salesman was very keen on it, probably not expecting me to have done any research. I don't think I'll get one, but maybe DELL's support is enough to keep it going?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Well, to say if it is or is not powerful you'd have to compare to how it performs with CPU only.

Even then, I do see something like this as a good thing. Hardware T&L was initially slower than letting the CPU do all the work initially with the GeForce. Though nVidia was in a much better position of power than Aegia is.

UT, UT2003, UT2004, UT2007.

Wouldn't that make it UT4? :)

(note; double-post too)

Personally I don't see the advantage of having

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

That's old news. However PhysX is dying and needs a savior quick. All this card does is make my computer noisier. Hell, it's not even that powerful. I spawn like 30,000 boxes in the Physx SDK, and it lags.

Bok, are you sure it's the PhysX itself that is getting saturated? Couldn't it be that your GeForce is getting overloaded with all the polygons the PhysX is churning out?

Guess you also liked "walking around half the map to find that grenade that fell of the body" or "where did he drop the ammoclip while under machinegunfire minigame"?

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Not really...

Having NPC's set themselves on fire because they bounce over a flaming barrel with an too huge hitbox could be considered fun though >_<

^

Bok, are you sure it's the PhysX itself that is getting saturated? Couldn't it be that your GeForce is getting overloaded with all the polygons the PhysX is churning out?

Good point, I don't know ;)

The problem with physics cards is that they're simply in alot of respects toned down GPU's, working through a PCI port, so naturally they're more on par in terms of power due to memory bandwidth as old PCI GFX cards surely!

(Don't quote me on that)

It's more likely we'll see GPU cards having PPU's on there aswell.

I've certainly read my fair share on hijacking GPU's to do collision detection information, a seperate PCI PPU seems fairly pointless to me.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

Good point, I don't know :)

I seriously doubt that is the case.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

I seriously doubt that is the case.

Could it be culling that takes most of CPU time? Wouldn't be surprising given the number of objects.

Thought that was part of the GFX pipeline and took place on the card, although it could very well depend upon the code.... Come to think of it Physics wouldn't have the option of culling what you can't see, like that of the GFX Card.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

Yes, there is a part that is done in the hardware, but some of it is done in the code (in fact you can do occlusion queries in Direct3D9).

Anyway it was just a guess, I think here PhysX itself is at fault.

True, and I think so aswell.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg