Resumes and Cover Letters

Peter.M.Allen

How would you rate your success in getting a job in gaming?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate your success in getting a job in gaming?

• 1) None; haven't applied
    • 2) Little; rejection letters galore
    • 3) Little with promise; rejected with recomendations to reapply in the future
    • 4) Some; Gotten past submission to atleast a 1st round interview
    • 5) Quite a bit; Next interview round, but JUST got beat out
    • 6) BINGO; Got me a piece of that fat-money-cake

So we're all here because we want in on that fat-money-cake known as The Gaming Industry, so I figure we scratch eachother's backs and throw around tips, ideas, and comments on everything from resumes to interviews. :)

-- Peter

Im currently studying Game Development at Uni in Sweden with focus on 3D graphics and animation (our education system is quite a bit different in that we dont have anything like a major etc. but rather you follow a pre-designed program of classes).

Now the issue is that Starbreeze studios are hiring QA's now, and alot of people from my Uni already work there so I might have a good shot at getting a job. But Im thinking that it is far better to complete my degree( in Graphics first and then look for jobs in that field instead of trying the old work-your-way-up. What do you think?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Im currently studying Game Development at Uni in Sweden with focus on 3D graphics and animation (our education system is quite a bit different in that we dont have anything like a major etc. but rather you follow a pre-designed program of classes).

Now the issue is that Starbreeze studios are hiring QA's now, and alot of people from my Uni already work there so I might have a good shot at getting a job. But Im thinking that it is far better to complete my degree(  in Graphics first and then look for jobs in that field instead of trying the old work-your-way-up. What do you think?

That's what I'm doing / did. The degree makes a TOTAL difference when it comes to a LONG-TERM career. If you look at the more senior positions requirements, they all want some kind of degree. So while your friends are set more easily to get out of the entery-level / sub-entry-level to something more mid-level, they're going to have a lot harder time getting beyond that.

Besides, I say you should always finish what you start.

-- Peter

Have you ever modded anything?

Oh, and you migh consider erasing your personal information(phone and email) from that resume you posted here. Can't be too careful.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Have you ever modded anything?

Oh, and you migh consider erasing your personal information(phone and email) from that resume you posted here. Can't be too careful.

I'd love to, but I don't know where to start. See, the major problem I'm having is that I work and everything on a Mac, so any editing programs, i.e. Unreal Editor, aren't available to me. I picked-up Unreal 2004 strictly for that reason, but found out they never made an editor for the Mac version (jerk-faces). So if someone could tell me an affordable program that can accomplish the task for Mac.. I'm just of up the creek.

Not to mention I don't exactly live in a very "gamer friendly" community so the entire population of people where I live wanting to do anything like that would consist of... ME. And I'd move, but I can't because I'm just living barely beyond broke. Ouig, it's a circle ;)

Eh, I'm okay with it. It's nothing that's not on my professional site, not to mention you can't get blood from a stone.

See, what I WANT to do is get an assistant production position: it's entry-level, usually lasts pre all the way through post production, touches up on ALL the different facets of a game, get to interact with people, mixed with a little desk work, just enough responcibility, bla bla bla perfect for me. It'd be a sweet way to get myself comfortable with the whole process all while earning responcibility and a pay-check that I can live off of. Very pro-reponcibility and livable paycheck.

From what I understand, the games industry is anything but a "fat money cake."

True, but isn't it fun to say "fat money-cake"? Say it outloud: FAT MONEY CAKE 8D. Hey, as long as I'm doing the work I love and it lets me afford to have a decient income that lets me be comfortable then I'm just peachy as can be. "Fat Money Cake" is more of a general expression I use in replacement of "bitchin'" or something.

Hehe, Fat Money Cake!

Evidently there aren't as many wanting "in on that fat-money-cake known as The Gaming Industry" as you thought ... :blink:

Hell, fine by me. Betters MY odds :(

I'm planning on it too, but haven't started my resume quite yet.

Here is one that I made for my IIP placement. It had to be on one page (I don't have word installed, so it's no longer in two columns unfortunately, and a bit more general.

I ended up getting a job at my University working on ScriptEase.

Some wierd stuff also happened when I converted it to RichText with WordPad, as my Student accomplishments certainly didn't happen in 2007, 2008, and 2009. It seemed to make bullets years. 2002 Team player! LOL

Edited by alanschu

From what I understand I'll probably end up making less money if/when I break into the games industry than I will be in two years when I finish up my Network Security degree and have a few computer certificates under my belt.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

Not Bragging... Just stating I have a job, for my work placement year, in the industry. Sadly not with OE!

I considered getting one with Bioware, though their placement started in May and I was offered a sure deal in January. It was an opportunity I couldn't refuse, though my eye was always on Bioware at the time.

From what I understand I'll probably end up making less money if/when I break into the games industry than I will be in two years when I finish up my Network Security degree and have a few computer certificates under my belt.

Chase that money man, but for me, I just want to do what I've always wanted to so since I was a kid. Maybe it'll pan out, manybe not, but nothing ventured, nothing gained..... Besides, money isn't going to mean anything to me because I'm gonna get me a sugar-mama and she'll pay for my ass :thumbsup: ( :) )

Not Bragging... Just stating I have a job, for my work placement year, in the industry. Sadly not with OE!

I considered getting one with Bioware, though their placement started in May and I was offered a sure deal in January. It was an opportunity I couldn't refuse, though my eye was always on Bioware at the time.

I tried a few places, I've had my knockbacks, as we all do when looking for jobs. I'm not certain what I'm going to be working on... But any work placement that gives experience is better than leaving university simply with a degree.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

That's what I was thinking.  My internship lasts 16 months, so it adds an extra year to school.  But I get paid, and get credit...as well as the invaluable experience.

Wow, that must be a bad ass internship. TAKE IT! :ph34r: You might even find if they chose to hire you full-time after they might help pay for the remainder of your education. I'm seeing that quite a few companies are starting to do that more.

I did take the internship. It started in January. It's not directly with a games company, but with two of my professors. They are working on a program that works with Neverwinter Nights and Bioware called ScriptEase.

It's been a pretty cool internship so far.

I did take the internship.  It started in January.  It's not directly with a games company, but with two of my professors.  They are working on a program that works with Neverwinter Nights and Bioware called ScriptEase.

It's been a pretty cool internship so far.

It seems like a fairly interesting internship.

:x

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me