Gunslinger Vs. Lightsaber?

Well, not thta you ever face any, but...what if you were to come up against a force user who has force jump (in KotOR style)? You don't get a chance to gun him down before he's on you, using your lack of melee weapon to add +4 to his attack bonus. Also, you know, using lightsabers, the only weapons in the game that do more damage than the best pistols in the game that can also be dual wielded.

Prunned. Lets keep to the topic of the post.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Lightsabers in TSL are somewhat flexible. Here is one. When my PC was dueling Kreia in final battle during time with her three purple lightsabers hunting forth, after leading sabers to an end of Trayus Core, my character happened to go to opposite side of Kreia's stationary standing position. And there was an unobstructed line of sight between her and character. So, as had been using melee attacks with saber for almost later half of game, I decided to use Advanced throw lightsaber, and kept on tossing sabers at her. Slow, but was a bit easier.

Deep from within...

Victims live a life of fantasy.

Some see salvation as an act of God, a few look within for it.

朱宣澧

the problem I've had with blasters is that as soon as you fight any jedi your murdered because the jedi are just blocking the blasters.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

the problem I've had with blasters is that as soon as you fight any jedi your murdered because the jedi are just blocking the blasters.

Exactly. And at the end of the game in the Trayus Academy you're pretty much fighting Sith/Dark Jedi the whole time, and then you have Sion and Traya to deal with. That's why every time I've thought about going the blaster route I've got cold feet.

So Chenwong88, was it okay getting through the endgame in one piece as a pure gunslinger?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

To the blaster folks, everything you listed there I can do with my lightsaber wielding guy. For those reasons I can block your shots, and when another melee guy gets close I can spar with him, and still not get hit. Also the forms don't work with a gunslinger. I can also use a feat to set my modifier to dex rather than str. This game was MADE for lightsabers, and therefore while we could play rock, paper scissors with this and you could win some draws, the lightsaber kicks the blaster wielders arse. One thing you have proven though, dex pwns str by miles.

Being a Jedi in the game, wielding a blaster would be so unJedi like. :)

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

The game is perfectly playable as blaster wielder. While enemies can deflect your bolts, the fact is, your AB is so much higher than theirs, that you can slice right through them regardless. With all precise shot feats, Jedi Masters and the like will still fall.

I've found 2 effective builds for blasters:

Consular/assassin or consular/watchman: If you focus on wisdom, you can stun your enemies and cut them down with blaster fire. The sneak attack damage really adds up.

Guardian/maurauder: due to an interesting quirk, both mastery bonuses add to your damage. Also, the marauders increased combat damage feat adds to blaster damage. So your looking at 2d8+6 extra damage per hit. This build does not work as LS since the mastery bonuses are different, and the weaponmaster feats do not add to ranged damage.

Duh, game is fully playable with blasters because K2 is just ****ing easy

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Man do this dont use ur character or atton use ur third party member equip one wit guns other wit LS and see wat dmg is being done lol ur character doesnt fight like computer does when useing character.

Yes LS's are best they do tons of dmg i mean i can own most sith lords wit 3 master flurrys and i can own apprentices wit 1 master flurry and a plain attack.

Edited by sangero

There is nothing and nobody in the game that can resist a high wisdom Force Wave, except for Kreia. Not even Sion was able to deal with it. And it slowed Kreia down a bit; her little dancing lightsabres didn't have a chance.

So who needs blasters? In the end all of my part members except the droids used melee weapons or lightsabres. I even gave Candalore a heavy-duty melee weapon for the latter part of the game.

Bwahahaha, my plan worked Controversy everywhere (although very one sided) i'll get back to the fact that yes, blasters pale in comparison to lightsabers but I'm also glad to see there are SOME open minded people who have used the blasters and still agree, yes they rule too :D I didn't ask "What kick what's ass" i really just asked you people "what do you prefer" now i'd like to remind you, that if you've never ran a Gunslinger through the game and done it first hand that question doesn't exactly apply to you, but lets keep this going shall we? :o who's next? Opinons are always good.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Its not necessarily the weapon that you use, but how it is used.

I seem to be making sense again. My doctor warned me about this...

I still prefer lightsabers. Im a melee fan.

Pain is all mankind is sure to experience.

Somewhere this is a person, who has suffered a thousand planets' pain. Who has suffered pain that would kill a mortal, and still keeps fighting on. The one who reduces our suffering by taking the brunt of it. He is our true saviour.

He is the son of thunder and consolation.

Unarmed attacks. Of course, will keep lightsaber/melee weapon in inventory list as last tactic in case hand attacks are not enough to bring down some force users like perhaps Sion and Kreia. Using flurry as feat with either way of attacking.

Edited by vaxen83

Deep from within...

朱宣澧

i've tried the "gunslinger" approach numerous times

it actually is really quite fun. i soloed for the most part, but when i did take others with me it was usually mira and t3.

3 people dual wielding fully upgraded Mandalorian Rippers :deadhorse:

first time i tried it i went for consular/watchman

stasis field + sneak attacks :D

and all this talk of lightsabers deflecting blaster bolts. umm... precise shot anybody? :-"

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Unarmed attacks. Of course, will keep lightsaber/melee weapon in inventory list as last tactic in case hand attacks are not enough to bring down some force users like perhaps Sion and Kreia. Using flurry as feat with either way of attacking.

You as well? I like my "kung fu" gal/guy Exile most. Lightsabres are fun and all, but I tend to use them as a last resort or when my character needs to hack through a legion of enemies quickly. Knocking armed enemies down with just ones hands is more fun than shooting or slashing them with a blade, I think.

HK47: Commentary: It is not possible to destroy the master. It is suggested that you run while my blasters warm, meatbags.

Bastila to Revan: You are easily the vainest, most arrogant man I have ever met!

Canderous to Bastila: Insults? Maybe if your master had trained your lightsaber to be as quick as your tongue you could have escaped those Vulkars, you spoiled little Jedi princess!

Thanks. Sabers are nice, just that somehow it seems easier to raise hands and utilise body dynamics to unleash attacks without having to resort to weaponry. Would have wanted unarmed special feats for Exile character that gave additional penalties to target hit by hand attacks. Like say, having stun effect for between 12-15 seconds on target hit by feat like force wave effect, except without knockback.

Edited by vaxen83

Deep from within...

朱宣澧

• 2 months later...

I think most of you are really underestimating the gunslinger. Master speed + two blasters + rapid shot = dead enemies. Especially so when stasis field + sneak attack comes into play. Because then all of those six shots you launch at the enemies do 10-60 extra damage. Multiply 10-60 by 6, and you have 60-360 damage added to the damage you usually do. I just played through all of KOTOR, soloing all the way, and not even once was I endangered by the enemies. In KOTOR the perfect character for this was Scoundrel/Consular, as that's the only way you can have both sneak attack, and awesome force use (for stasis field. Can't have them resisting, now can we). In KOTOR II, it's a bit more difficult. A lot more, actually. Not impossible though. Consular for the non-resisting part, and Watchman/assassin for the sneak attacking. Once again, we have a gunman who can stasis field just about anyone, and shoot them to death while they are being held still. In the end of KOTOR, I was, without having gathered super-good equipment, able to stasis field entire armies, and kill at least 5 enemies before they even move. Six blasts that just about slay the enemy, no matter who he is. Malak was easy.

Movie wise: Lightsaber vs. Blaster - Lightsaber wins

edit: except for Grevious, but he wasn't a Jedi/Sith so he doesn't count. Stupid twit shouldn't have been using a lightsaber in the first place...

Game wise: Open to speculation due to it being a game ^_^

Edited by Lupus Deus

• 2 weeks later...