Who uses Vsync?

Bokishi

Do you use Vsync in your games?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use Vsync in your games?

• Yes
    • No

I use it because I hate tearing. Problem is that it can halve your framerate, and I end up having to use a third party utility (DirectX Tweaker) to enable triple buffering and bring the framerate back up again. It's a hassle, but I don't like the tearing.

Edited by metadigital

I always use Vsync becaue it affects more than just tearing. It helps you avoid plenty of other graphic distortions aswell.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I never use it. I've never seen the point of it, as the tearing doesn't bother me.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Never use it either. I only notice tearing when the framerate drops in some areas, and that's the particular case when V-sync can only help increase the problem. Usually I try to keep my frames above 40 or so which seems to help with the tearing.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I use it because I hate tearing. Problem is that it can half your framerate, and I end up having to use a third party utility (DirectX Tweaker) to enable triple buffering and bring the framerate back up again. It's a hassle, but I don't like the tearing.

My LCD can only do 60Hz, don't see what the point of getting more FPS per second then that is -- as it could only display up to 60FPS anyway.

I've noticed that turning it on helps reduce tearing quite alot. Is there really a huge performance degredation? I haven't noticed one myself.. but maybe I haven't played enough games.

What is this tearing you speak of.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I think it depends on the hardware combination and the drivers. With my AGP ATI 9600 at 1024x768 and venerable old CRT at 85 hz, I couldn't use it in either Kotor game without the screen becoming unreadable. When I changed to my current PCIe 7600GT (same resolution, same monitor, same Kotor installations), the games would run with VSync off, but each and every interior light had an awful glare that bled across all of the images. Performance was the pits. One click of the magic VSync button, and all was happiness.

So far, though, those are the only games affected; although admittedly I haven't run many since I got Oblivion. So I guess in general the answer is no, I don't generally use it unless I have to (I had ATI cards for years, and learned to stay away from it with that particular machine).

Never had a need for it either. I do occasionally see that effect but pretty rarely. I probably don't play the type of games that might do it a lot, very much. I've also had too many old games that really didn't like it when vsync was turned on - ie they'd crash - so I developed the habit of it always being off. I forget about it most of the time. :p

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• 3 weeks later...