IGN's NWN2 impression

kumquatq3

If the stronghold is as good as the article makes it sound; it may be the best part of the NWN2 OC. It would also be better than the BG2 strongholds. We shall see. :)

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I'm not sure how to take this whole "stronghold" thing. I'm playing spellforce 2 right now, which blends RTS with RPG (very light on both, actually, but a decent mix). I'm sure I can handle the whole army thing, but that certainly isn't something I was looking forward to in NWN2...seeing it is manditory. That's a strike against the game for me, right now. If they do it well, it may not deter from the rest of the game, but if they implement it poorly, it will probably sink the game...

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

wow, it sounds like a lot of work has gone into the strongholds. It's like we have a mini RTS in the game, which I don't know if that's a good idea. But regardless I'm excited, as it sounds like fun. :lol:

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

I'm betting this is right up the alley of Suikoden fans.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Sounds interesting, although I agree with the sentiment that this mandatory feature could be a bad thing if not done right.

As an aside, the description of the mass battles, and how they are controlled, sounds similar, IMO, to NWN HotU battle where the PC was tasked with defending that gate region just outside the Underdark town.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

The legendary Deekin will make a cameo/appearance in this game!  Remember: You heard it here first ladies & gents (from the same jag who was the first to prove Mandalore was Canderous no less!).

Wait, what?

I distinctly remember you saying Mandalore was Gluupor! :lol:"

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I think it sounds great. :- I always really appreciate having a home or base in any RPG, a place to drop off my stuff at the very least. Something as huge and interactive as this will be terrific fun. And it's a nice way of developing a character in the fantasy setting - PCs are forever getting called 'My Lord', and now he/she actually has to be a lord, with some of the responsibilities that go with the title. :D

I only hope that all the work Obsidian is doing with previewers and publicity pays off, though. This is the kind of feature that reviewers can take the wrong way, i.e. a slight deviation from the standard RPG norm, shock horror! Obsidian doesn't need some idiot complaining that the stronghold system isn't as well developed as in, say, Stronghold, and therefore the game sucks. :D

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I'm betting this is right up the alley of Suikoden fans.

Large-scaled battles based on the "rock, papers, scissors"-system? :ermm:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy