Anyone See those NWN2 Beta Pics at NWN2 News?

I saw a few of these beta gameplay pics over at NWN2 News today and the heads looked like my little brother modeled them and my little sister textured them. What gives? The lighting was all opaque and flat with no contrast. I really hope those were just really early pre-model/texture pics because I was expecting much better. The backgrounds looked nice but those heads gotta go, and throw some light and dark in there!

soulthiefsig5fl0.jpg

It seems that old screenshots were from the old E3 alpha build. Look at the Gen Con images from the latest bulid.

Wow... without shadows open-faced helms look lame.

EDIT:

And this guy:

CIMG3954.JPG

Needs decaf.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I could careless if the gameplay is good.

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

LOL!

The heads were better in NWN1 and Baldurs Gate 1. That's sad.

What's funny is at least one of the armors and most of backgrounds look nice. The Art Director needs to get his hands on a more experienced modeler for the actual characters. Too many "mannequin" looking heads. Very stiff and contrived.

Well It won't stop me from getting the game, but It sure looks like I'll be loading some Ascii .mdl's into 3DSMax and getting my hands dirty to give these things a more "organic" look.

soulthiefsig5fl0.jpg

The remakes of the dwarves and trolls kinda look "meh" as well. Not much in the "spirit" of Gygax/Tolkien lore as we know them to look and act. The original NWN nailed it for me and my friends.

To be fair though some of the "official" images out there look decent in terms of characters during some of the fight scenes. I just can't help but scrutinize, because you want to have talented "hardcore" D&D guy's working on this stuff. When you get nervous is when they have these new kids modeling the work or doing character design that have little or no history on the canon base of these characters, or the important aspects of games that came before them - eg: Gauntlet, Diablo I and 2 ect.

I'm really interested in seeing how they redid the inventory. I thought that aspect of the original NWN series was perfect. The attention to detail to all of the inventory items was a big attracter for me. I hope they didn't skimp there.

soulthiefsig5fl0.jpg

Soulthief is too geeky for the Obsidian forums. How sad is that?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

[quote name='

Heja Sverige!!

Someone should post pictures of a NWN2 troll and a "canonical" DnD Troll, and compare them.

Heja Sverige!!

Obsessing about how the invontory looks, not works mind you, but looks is the most ridiculous concern regarding NWN2 Ive ever seen :lol:

...And the NWN2 trolls look EXACTLY like the ugly mofo's in the Monster Book for D&D 3.5 so I dont think anyone can argue that they got them wrong (I downloaded it on PDF.. not a geek)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Someone should post pictures of a NWN2 troll and a "canonical" DnD Troll, and compare them.

Actually I think it'd be funnier to get out a couple BG1 screenshots and put them next to the NWN2 models just so everyone can see how the 6 pixel (number pulled out of my arse, obviously) heads look so much better.

Honestly though, he's not too geeky for Obsidian, he and Hades just need to get together sometime and discuss everything that's wrong with the designer's visions and how theirs are so much better.

Oh, and Soulthief, using how strong you are in real life as a comeback is just one step above threatening to beat someone up over the internet.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP