I am sure we can stick to the topic. :)"

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I have never heard of those terms being used to describe energy?

I'm assuming that you are posing a question (indicated by the question mark, if not the use of an interrogative pronoun).

The quoted text was nice SF, but is not science.

Energy is indeed related to matter (according to Einstein's equation E=mc

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I won't presume to make any estimates on how long it would take to do it, assuming it's actually possible.

Anything technologic what is all-day use for us humans, was once sci-fi, I am very sure scientists see movies too, and sooner or later a SW fan/professor will create a real Lightsaber.

IB1OsQq.png

But why, why would he/she do that?

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Well, there have to be something better to do :(

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I can think of plenty of things better to do with billions of dollars than build a lightsaber. :lol:"

Although, if the tech ever arose because of, say, surgical laser research, I'm sure someone on the sidelines would build a lightsaber just because he could. :D

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I can think of plenty of things better to do with billions of dollars than build a lightsaber.  :)"

Although, if the tech ever arose because of, say, surgical laser research, I'm sure someone on the sidelines would build a lightsaber just because he could. :D

Exactly, if something is possible to make, it will be (or is already) made by someone, sometime. This was always the way of science.

IB1OsQq.png

Alright, so you make a beam with limited length. But then you don't have a sword, because it can't deflect another beam.

Maybe lightsabers have a magnetic charge? Err... that would make fighting on ships dangerous, unless you use non-magnetic metals in your spaceships, and have computers that don't use magnetism for anything important. To control photons with a magnet, though... I don't know... it might have to be a magnet capable of rotating a small planet, at least. Not that I know any math behind this.

Ions, or plasma?

Let me explain what made me think of ions:

"The sun gives off high-energy charged particles (also called ions) that travel out into space at speeds of 300 to 1200 kilometres per second. A cloud of such particles is called a plasma. The stream of plasma coming from the sun is known as the solar wind. As the solar wind interacts with the edge of the earth's magnetic field, some of the particles are trapped by it and they follow the lines of magnetic force down into the ionosphere, the section of the earth's atmosphere that extends from about 60 to 600 kilometres above the earth's surface. When the particles collide with the gases in the ionosphere they start to glow, producing the spectacle that we know as the auroras, northern and southern. The array of colours consists of red, green, blue and violet. "

Notice the common lightsaber colors anywhere in that sentence?

The problem is that this could unpredictably effect electrical equipment, and would probably create noxious gas whenever it was used, probably ?? resulting in death of the wielder.

So, lets say the saber is a bunch of high-activity particles, or plasma. You activate a controlled, charged ion field which sets free the particles of plasma on a set path. This is all, of course, tied to the nature of the crystal that you use to hold and control such particles. Such crystals are, in Star Wars lore, connected to the Force in some way. So then we'd need to discover the Force. If a Sun can't control it's own ion's and plasma, how else could a lightsaber? In perfect equilibrium, losing minimal heat or energy? Without creating massive amounts of dangerous radiation, and/or heat, and or/magnetism??

I say: Lightsabers come from the same place the Force did.

But I have an idea. Lets say you have a rod, like your average lightsaber replica blade, that attaches to a handle and emits colored light. Neat. Then you put a strong magnet in the core of the light, and when you hit the two saber replicas together you get a neat feeling of resistance, and the magnet core pushes the casing of the lights (which is necessarily a little supple) inward, so that the light at that point shows brighter. You know how LCD's get warped when you touch them?

There you go. Plus, you can spar with it.

Edited by CrowPusher

Assuming that constituent components of a saber is subjected to reactions beyond mere weather changes like rain or winds that alone, are unlikely to snuff out light blade. If sabers could exist perhaps even close to half as much as how sun does, then perhaps. Otherwise any suggestions?

Edited by vaxen83

Deep from within...

Victims live a life of fantasy.

Some see salvation as an act of God, a few look within for it.

朱宣澧

Thread pruned. The PM system is a wonderful tool at our disposal that can be used for contacting members on a personal note.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

• 4 weeks later...

It has been some time. I have been away and only just now come back to see all the additions that followed my post.

Please understand that it was never my intention to start a topic on the religion of Scientology or to chalange the E=MC2 formula.

I came across the idea if Flows, Despersals and Ridges as a simple explenation of how energy and mass could be thought of. If you can find any form of matter or energy that is not able to be described by these 3 catagories then let me know.

That matter is only a from of energy is a fact, not theory. The explenation I gave is a theory on why this is.

The lightsaber has inspired alot of people. It is a SF device that has gotten an amazing responce. Yet it is nothing more than some ones dream.

It has always been the dreamer that pointed the way for science, not the other way around. This may bring a point of contention, but I ask you to look at it from the stand point of how it could be until you feel you undestand it, then chalange it. It is only funny that if something should be worked out that is not deamed it may not get recognition and will go nowhere until it does. Lets not forget that we are living the dreams of many SF thinkers right now.

The things that have been in SF may have been far from anything that we could ever do. But they have been sitting there like a beacon pointing the way for science.

The mechanics of a lightsaber aside, the phenomenon is not impossible. A beam of energy that is intense enough to resist most anything from passing thru it is within the laws of possiblility. That is could be "firey" enough to "cut" things is not ether. Yet that it can be tamed by a small handheld wand is something yet to be bridged with what is known today.

The SF that seems so strange and out of reach is becoming possible. Force fields really are possible. Why they are in many ways like the stuff you can find in some SF..., I will leave to you. NASA has a prototype antigravity device that last I heard could remove 5% of the 75lb test weight that was used to test it. And even death rays with a ionized beam are possible that look just like what you see in the movies. And ion engines on space craft are already in use!

I however am still waiting for the flying cars. A model of whitch, with 4 fans where the tires would be, is going on sale in 2009. ;)

Edited by James Dunn

Now, obviously the blade itself can't really be a photon based laser. First of all, that wouldn't just stop after a few feet, and secondly it would pass through everything, so it wouldn't make much of a sword.

I was thinking more along the lines of the blade being a superheated plasma contained by a strong magnetic field in just the right shape. That would both be hot enough to burn through pretty much anything, and if would 'stop' if it hit another light saber. And depending on the material you make your plasma out of, you can select the color.

Of course, this doesn't quite solve the problem of power supply. The saber handle would need to provide power for a relatively huge magnetic field to contain the plasma, and it would also need to provide the energy to heat the plasma. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head would be some sort of peanut-sized fusion reactor. Then the reactor could provide the plasma and the energy at the same time.

I guess for this scenario we'd have to assume that people in a galaxy far far way are badasses when it comes to electromagnetism and would be able to counteract field fluctuations and cancellations. If the device could detect a rapid weakening of the field at some point on the blade, then perhaps it could quickly reverse the direction of the containment field to halt the cancellation effect. Of course, both the light sabers touching each other would attempt this field reversal, necessitating more reversals to keep the fields from cancelling. Now, making the assumption that these reversals would happen very quickly, they would probably make the air molecules in the vicinity vibrate back and forth, producing sound and giving us that characteristic light saber crackle.

Oh snap! I think I just reached a whole new plane of nerdiness. Sweet.

Hawking radiation is (in theory) the only radiation a black hole can 'emit'. Basically virtual particle-antiparticle pairs are brought into existence by weird timespace curvature at the event horizon. The energy to create these particles comes from the black hole, effectively shrinking it by some small amount. Large black holes are stable, though, as they suck in more energy than they send out. Small ones, however, shrink until they literally evaporate. Unfortunately we'd need super small black holes to fit into a light saber handle, and those would decay very quickly and release huge amounts of energy in that time (>> atomic bomb).

Edited by Nero

The force helps me poop better, and use lightsabers to cut my food that then turns into poop.

• 2 months later...