Return to Ebon Hawk: Insta-Healing

First off, this is somewhat a continuation of a discussion here, just in case you're curious.

Anyway, I've played KOTOR a few times, and I really fell in love with the "Return to Ebon Hawk", "Transit Back" instant-healing. For instance, inside the Vulkar base, right before the dude guarding the accellerator, I would leave the bay, leave the base, go to the Apartment, Transit Back, go back to the bay, and then go fight him. Basically, whenever I could, I would take advantage of this free healing. This really does take away from the game, since I could have used medpacs to heal (hey, maybe I would have ended up needing to BUY them; what a concept).

Here is my suggestion on how to fix this, but not totally nerf it:

You know the medical room on the Hawk? Make it so that to be healed, you actually must enter the Hawk, go there, and activate some kind of console. You then get a little cutscene of the character lying down on the chair thingie.

Depending on how MUCH you want to nerf it, you can do a few things after that:

1) The auto-heal has been nerfed enough. You had to enter the Hawk, walk to a point, use a console, and view a cutscene. Time to go kill.

2) Nerf it a bit more, by requiring that it use up medpacs (though you save the kits by going here; maybe one pack heals five times as much as the base with one point in Treat Injury per level of the main character).

3) Nerf it a lot more by taking the character out of action for... Like... Ten seconds per HP they need healed.

Of course, I don't think this healing will be needed as much, because it seems that characters ALL have natural healing. But still, sometimes you get really hurt in a fight, want to be at 100% before venturing into the enemy base, and want to conserve medpacs.

Thoughts? Discussion commence!

Curious about the subraces in Pillars of Eternity? Check out 

First off, this is somewhat a continuation of a discussion here, just in case you're curious.

Anyway, I've played KOTOR a few times, and I really fell in love with the "Return to Ebon Hawk", "Transit Back" instant-healing.  For instance, inside the Vulkar base, right before the dude guarding the accellerator, I would leave the bay, leave the base, go to the Apartment, Transit Back, go back to the bay, and then go fight him.  Basically, whenever I could, I would take advantage of this free healing.  This really does take away from the game, since I could have used medpacs to heal (hey, maybe I would have ended up needing to BUY them; what a concept).

You know the medical room on the Hawk?  Make it so that to be healed, you actually must enter the Hawk, go there, and activate some kind of console.  You then get a little cutscene of the character lying down on the chair thingie.

1) The auto-heal has been nerfed enough.  You had to enter the Hawk, walk to a point, use a console, and view a cutscene.  Time to go kill.

2) Nerf it a bit more, by requiring that it use up medpacs (though you save the kits by going here; maybe one pack heals five times as much as the base with one point in Treat Injury per level of the main character).

3) Nerf it a lot more by taking the character out of action for...  Like...  Ten seconds per HP they need healed.

Of course, I don't think this healing will be needed as much, because it seems that characters ALL have natural healing.  But still, sometimes you get really hurt in a fight, want to be at 100% before venturing into the enemy base, and want to conserve medpacs.

Thoughts?  Discussion commence!

i kindy like your idea but there are somethings i don't agree with

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Because of the way I am, I used it. I hoard things, even useless medpacs.

Anyway, the cutscene was just an idea (hey, they could have two or three to keep it from getting totally boring). I think having to enter the Hawk and walk to the medical room (and activate the console) would be long enough.

What can I say? It's there, it doesn't break the game, so I use it. I'd just like there to be a purpose to the medpacs we haul around. Is that so much to ask?

I'm fully aware of the exploit - however, seeing as KOTOR kept crashing every now and then during area transitions, I chose to rely on medpacks instead. Besides, with me, Juhani and Bastila (who was later replaced by that old Jedi guy whose name I cannot remember even though I finished replaying KOTOR 15 minutes ago) all having the Heal power, medpacks and what not did not come in handy until the very end.

In the 6 times ive beatan KOTOR ive never used transit back. I also never took advantage of comp spikes. I would sell them on taris for 100 creds and 160 on yavin i think i only used spikes on the forge. but i think they should take away the insta heal.

I like the insta-heal being there, but I just think it should be toned down...

And in TSL, you may not always have easy access to Heal. Dark siders won't have any effective way to heal outside of combat (well, some lightsiders may stick around with an evil char, but it doesn't sound like it).

Because, they'd have to spend the force powers to purchase Heal and Cure, then they'd cost an extreme amount of force points to cast as dark siders.

Yeah, there are always those medpacs, but why use them if you have free, quick, easy healing just by transporting to the Ebon Hawk and back? Did you even read the first post?

Anyway, I've played KOTOR a few times, and I really fell in love with the "Return to Ebon Hawk", "Transit Back" instant-healing.  For instance, inside the Vulkar base, right before the dude guarding the accellerator, I would leave the bay, leave the base, go to the Apartment, Transit Back, go back to the bay, and then go fight him.  Basically, whenever I could, I would take advantage of this free healing.  This really does take away from the game, since I could have used medpacs to heal (hey, maybe I would have ended up needing to BUY them; what a concept).

You know the medical room on the Hawk?  Make it so that to be healed, you actually must enter the Hawk, go there, and activate some kind of console.  You then get a little cutscene of the character lying down on the chair thingie.

1) The auto-heal has been nerfed enough.  You had to enter the Hawk, walk to a point, use a console, and view a cutscene.  Time to go kill.

3) Nerf it a lot more by taking the character out of action for...  Like...  Ten seconds per HP they need healed.

Of course, I don't think this healing will be needed as much, because it seems that characters ALL have natural healing.  But still, sometimes you get really hurt in a fight, want to be at 100% before venturing into the enemy base, and want to conserve medpacs.

Thoughts?  Discussion commence!

First off I don't think it needs to be changed, second off what other people have said, "If you don't like it don't use it," third off this isn't a mmorpg meaning it doesn't hurt you in any way if someone uses it, fourth off many other people liked the old system, and last but not least what the devs said, "If it isn't broken don't fix it," and obviously the insta heal wasn't broken. ;) I don't think the devs are doing any major nerfing, just fixing things. So.... don't expect any nerfing of anything from the first Kotor.

A: You don't need to quote my whole post; you can just say "In reply to original post..."

B: If it's in the game, and useful, I am GOING to use it (unless I'm playing some sort of "hardcore self-limiting kind" where I go solo, play on the difficult setting, use a single blaster but get the 2wf fighting feat anyway, and only use normal medpacs [read: What it takes to make KOTOR 1 hard]).

C: Yeah, the munchkins love it. These are the same people screaming "PLZ HELP ME W/ D BANDON!!!".

If they're going to leave it in, then they better make there be many fewer times when you can just pop to/from the Hawk. Really, I can do it in the middle of clearing the sewers; why would I EVER want to use my medpacs? The insta-heal doesn't add to the game, it just takes away. And I like to be able to enjoy the game by playing it with all the features it was given; not being forced to ignore some of them to have a good time.

A: I was pressing quote at first then it took me to the same page then I pressed reply and it quoted. :lol:

B: The only compromise I could come with is at the hardest level it changes.

C: I never used insta travel/ heal unless I was going to tinker with stuff or talk to npcs, travel between planets, and get those scripted encoounters to come. It's convienient that I got healed also considering it's not worth the load times just to get back to a place so I can insta travel. I just used force heal.(I hope you're not going to go after force heal :p ) It doesn't hurt anything that much in my eyes, there's no need to nerf it, it doesn't unbalance the game, and it takes too much time depending where you're at.

I personally enjoyed traveling. The worst part was the load times. I mentioned before on this topic that I had never used insta healing before lol but i just used it lastnight on tatooine to get to the yavin starport. It didnt really make a difference to me because i uswually force heal and let it restore while I walk to the ebon hAWK