Suikoden

Calax

After playing Suikoden V and 3 I've found I actually kind of like the Idea behind them, For those who don't play "jrpgs" or more specifically the Suikoden series, what you do is you start out with your hero/heroes and follow them through a story that winds up with them running an army. in each game your able to "collect" party members (108 in total) and use them in a number of ways. One way is that you every so often get into strategic battles with your opponent.

Trust me the strategic battles are only really strategic for the set up, then you spend most of your time jumping from one army to the other (at least in Suikoden V's iteration of the system) as they engage in battle. the battles themselves are really just rock paper scissors but with numbers attached.

Now with the advent of more capabilities I think were a game made similar with the degree of complexity and sheer length of this game (I'm pushing 40-50 hours on my first run, and I'm only about 3/4s' of the way through) I would hope that they'd add a different system and a itsy bitsy bit of complexity to the armies system.

As it is now your troops are determined by which of your generals is in primary command of that unit. Personally I'd like to see somthing more like Kessen's system where each general is better with various units but can be changed between unit types based on the number of swords/horses/rifles/whatever in your inventory. Also because of the way Suikoden is set up, I would hope you'd be able to attach and detach men at will. So that for major engagements with your opponents you'd have a pool of say 10000 volunteers + whatever your various leaders brought (people representing various factions within your army would have troops already attached. As would those who's backstory would allow it) from that pool you'd "draft" people into a swordsman, spearman, archer or cavalry officer based on what you needed for various engagements.

It'd also make sense from a different point of view. One of the "stars" that you meet in V is a dwarf who wants to forge weapons but isn't allowed to by his boss. He joins you because with you he'd get to make "LOTS AND LOTS" of weapons. Now the way the system is set up now you don't actually have anything to do with "lots and lots" of weapons being forged. instead you "forge" your weapon to a higher level.

This came out of somthing that kept bugging me as I was playing because I'm a RTS fan. The fact that my fights are determined in a rock paper scissors fashion bugs the bejessus out of me because me and the computer always send the defending units weakness after it which can lead to a giant circle of troops trying to catch each other and make the unit in front cry like a little girl before the unit behind it does the same thing to it.

Besides a prince should command more than 1.6k troops.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Right now I'd be happy with a combination of Suikoden 2 and Suikoden 3 combat for strategic battles.

I'm just glad they went back to the 6 person character battles in Suikoden V. IV was such a disappointment in pretty much every aspect.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The original Suikoden should never have had sequels.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

The original Suikoden should never have had sequels.

We're lucky it did though, seeing as Suikoden 2 is the best game for the original playstation.

Devastatorsig.jpg

You mean besides Vagrant Story, Castlevania: SOTN and Tekken 3.

P.S.: I haven't played Suikoden 2. :">

Heja Sverige!!

You mean besides Vagrant Story, Castlevania: SOTN and Tekken 3.

P.S.: I haven't played Suikoden 2.  :">

I haven't played Tekken 3 or Castlevania, but I'd say it is better than Vagrant Story, which was an awesome game.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Urg, I found the original Suikoden kinda bland.

So did I, Suikoden 2 was awesome though. Which is why a used copy goes from 70-100+ bucks on ebay.

Devastatorsig.jpg

couldn't really get into 3 because of the "three stories at the same time" thing.

couldn't really get into 3 because of the "three stories at the same time" thing.

it was the 3rd best one. In order of goodness it goes 2, 5, 3, 4, 1. If Suiokoden 1 had a better translation, it would have beat 4.

Devastatorsig.jpg

What confuses me is how a game like the original Suikoden is successful enough to warrant a sequel. It's hands down one of the worst games I've ever played. Imagine if Gigli had a sequel.

Interestingly, I have the same feelings towards Breath Of Fire.

Heja Sverige!!

What confuses me is how a game like the original Suikoden is successful enough to warrant a sequel. It's hands down  one of the worst games I've ever played. Imagine if Gigli had a sequel.

Interestingly, I have the same feelings towards Breath Of Fire.

I liked the first Breath of Fire. It wasn't great, but I liked it. Same with Suikoden. But BoF 2 was awesome, and 3 and 4 weren't bad. Dragon Quarter was garbage.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I was wondering when darque was going to show up and say that.

Heja Sverige!!

Really? Everybody hated the first Suikoden? That's my favorite, after 2.

The war system, although simple and stupid, was cute. The good endings and bad endings were radically different. Pahn was a great character. I don't see how an original like Suikoden would be considered all around "bad." Best of all, no freakin' squirrels!

Of course, other than tactics, my third favorite would be the despised "boat" Suikoden.

Speaking of Tactics, did anyone read/see The Goat or Who Is Sylvia? by Edward Albee?

Okay, now I know what to rom. Thanks guys.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

All characters in Suikoden 1 were about as deep as something incredibly shallow.

Heja Sverige!!

That is why I'm going to skip it.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

We're lucky it did though, seeing as Suikoden 2 is the best game for the original playstation.

That would be Persona 2: Eternal Punishment. ;)

Yup, Suikoden 2 might have done a few things right... but Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, it does so many things right and offers so much content.

Screw you all, Threads of Fate is the best PSX game. WORLD DOMINATION, baby!

Man, your just pissed because you couldn't make friends with demons. :(

EDIT :

I like your idea Calax. It would be great if you had more control over how your castle/town was built once you started recruiting all those people.

Edited by Haitoku

just got off a V binge...

got frustrated because I"ve just taken storm fist but NONE of the triggers were working. I tried to start off the next part of the story line but Lucrecia keeps saying "Make sure you've done everything" when I've been running around for an hour and a half!

got frustrated because I"ve just taken storm fist but NONE of the triggers were working. I tried to start off the next part of the story line but Lucrecia keeps saying "Make sure you've done everything" when I've been running around for an hour and a half!

Your suppose to head into the Godwin manor. :(

Edited by Haitoku

Your suppose to head into the Godwin manor. :(

I did. but got chased out by godwin soldiers.