The hobbies forum........

darth maddison

It's like polishing the brass on the Titanic.

I always loved that expression. Oh, and I agree whole-heartedly. Gateway drug, my left eye! The people who have that self-destructive urge to "move on" will move on anyway. I know plenty of people who stayed right in their comfort zone, so to speak.

Statistically you could say the same thing about booze being a gateway. But practically speaking I'd say it did lead on to other use. But that's because in order to get it you have to speak to dealers. Dealers who are the gateway to other drugs. It also acts as a gateway because it diminishes the perception of the very real and serious danger messages about things like crack and heroin.

Having said that even when it is legal I shan't often take it. If at all. I much prefer booze.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Only time I've done drugs was when some horny gay spanish dude spiked my drink in Barcelona. :ph34r: Luckily I had big bulky friends who helped me back to the hotel. :)

Edited by Lucius

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

The ol' Roofie Colada is no fun. I had a classmate in college that showed up to class one day looking like hell. He had little band aids all over his face (Nelly style) and arms and some pretty big cuts on his head. Apparently, someone put something in his drink at a bar and he ended up climbing someone's fence and jumping off into some bushes, as well as a bunch of other stuff he doesn't remember doing.

The way I figure, the drug wasn't meant for his drink or it was dropped in by a gay guy. Because, honestly, how many women need to drug a guy at a bar to get him to sleep with them?

Oh, and is THAT what "crunk" means? I always thought it was just the name of a particularly awful and creatively bankrupt style of hip hop.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

You don't get low with tha crunk, G? Oh yeah, here's Lil Jon's high school pic, if you haven't seen it before.

Linky no worky.

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /archives/liljohnhighschoolpic.jpg on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.34 Server at www.joerod.com Port 80

I like tweaking and overclocking my computer hardware. I spend a lot of time doing it just for fun so I guess it could be considered a hobby. I just love finding weird GPU bioses or neat little tricks to cram more juice out of my current system. Even if it sometimes kills it..

If hockey is a hobby then I do that too.

Is ogling girls a hobby? Because I love to go out with a couple of friends, take a cold beer in the sun and just admire the skirts walking by while chatting about life's crap.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Is ogling girls a hobby? Because I love to go out with a couple of friends, take a cold beer in the sun and just admire the skirts walking by while chatting about life's crap.

no that's being a guy .. so unless that's a hobby it doesn't count..

but it sure is a great way to pass the time! :wacko:

Fortune favors the bald.

I don't entirely disagree that it could be considered a gateway drug.  But if it becomes legalized, that status will disappear.

a friend and i were discussing this idea the other day. i think it is a gateway simply because the dealers tend to be more hardcore, i.e. involved in other drugs as well, than the average user, and making such purchases exposes the user to the dealer's other habits. so, the drug itself is not the gateway, but the means to obtaining the drug sort of is. people that aren't going to step up won't regardless of what they are exposed to. people that will step up will find a way.

taks

The fact that it's illegal lends itself to the status of Gateway drug. There is a line that is crossed, and once it's been crossed, it's easier to justify further experimentation.

yeah, but most of the people i knew that did drugs, and moved into harder stuff, were willing to try even before the started on pot. that it was illegal was not even a consideration to any of us for that matter.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

There is also a growing degree of acceptance for pot that is (rightfully) missing for the other drugs. Even the FBI has relaxed its policy toward marijuana use in the last few years. I filled out an application for one of their writing jobs last summer, and their drug-related questions made it possible for someone who had tried marijuana to be hired.

I believe the caveats were "not in the last three years" and "not more than five (may be wrong , but I know it was less than 10) times total."

I thought that was a nice change, a way for someone who was curious, tried it and then regretted it, to have a chance for a nice government job.

Edited by Darth Drabek

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

There is also a growing degree of acceptance for pot that is (rightfully) missing for the other drugs. Even the FBI has relaxed its policy toward marijuana use in the last few years. I filled out an application for one of their writing jobs last summer, and their drug-related questions made it possible for someone who had tried marijuana to be hired.

I believe the caveats were "not in the last three years" and "not more than five (may be wrong , but I know it was less than 10) times total."

I thought that was a nice change, a way for someone who was curious, tried it and then regretted it, to have a chance for a nice government job.

Agreed. Frankly the option would be to not hire anyone who'd been to college.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

based on my experience with security and the government, there is no rule that prohibits past use of just about any drug. as long as a) it was casual, b) it no longer continues, c) you weren't dealing and d) you admit it openly. for the most part they are concerned about addiction/dealing and hiding facts, which can be used by foreign nationals/enemies to compromise your position.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

So to end the controversial discussion and almost-certain doom of this thread, I thought I'd share with you guys the thought that I actually have very few/if not no hobbies whatsoever really. If you think about it, a hobby is something you have a passion for, enjoy doing and do so regularly you know the in's and out's of it....or that's the way I see it in my case. I mean, I have things like art and surfing which I do do, but I wouldn't say I do them regularly enough to be a hobby (i.e. every day, for a large portion of the day, or in all my spare time).

I think I shall do my best to change that, but there's an interesting though that occurred to me anyway.

Agreed. Frankly the option would be to not hire anyone who'd been to college.

How are they supposed to check if youve smoked pot like 5 years ago anyway? All traces sunstances disapear from the urine in days and the blood in weeks.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "