Dungeons and Dragons 4e

Lancer, I was comparing baseline 2e ADnD versus baseline 3.5e DnD.  Corebooks only, you know.

Baseline material is only PHB, DMG, and the first MM.

Except you brought in d20 into the mix which isn't a baseline system either(a whole hodge podge of third party products).

It is only fair to compare 2ndEd with 3.x not with d20.

image002.gifLancer

Not really.  When I say d20 System I mean the SRD, baseline material.

And isn't the d20 SRD for fantasy (spells, monsters,etc..)?

I don't see how this can be used for postmodern New York:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35

OOoooh.. the "other" SRD. The modern SRD

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/msrd

Edited by Lancer

image002.gifLancer

- And of course, any house rules that a DM sees fit.

-And perhaps most important, a good DM with a healthy imagination that can think "outside the box."

You forget that these are 'not included' into the book or the system, this is up to the GM-s and becouse there were many good GM-s for AD&D, many say that that system is the best...but if you think about it, you say that only becouse of the GM-s and the stories you played already...heh, *good ol' memories* style.

I Played and tested many games, and the best international ones are the 3.5 and the new Whitewolf system (ONLY the system, i still like the original clans and such much better). As for the best system EVER what i tried and play is one of my home: World of Chaos, the world (Worluk) where many weird and funny things spice up the average fantasy stories.

And no, im not saying that WoC is the best becouse its also hungarian, there are other 4 hungarian systems/worlds but those are not good. Judging the system itself: It is the most difficult one to learn and the longest time to make the char, but it has all the possibilities you want and need.

Becouse its not really possible to write it down or such here in a post, i better let it end now :rolleyes:

(I would need to translate a book what is 2.5 - times bigger than the d20 players handbook)

IB1OsQq.png

• 2 weeks later...

I can't say I'm surprised; while I liked parts of 3e I'd slowly stopped getting the products as I got to a point where I'd grown to feel that they were really obviously milking the product and I also began to feel that 4e was definately a great likelyhood of coming to fruition.

I'm spending my RPG $$ elsewhere these days, either tracking down 2e stuff I want, or looking to other RPG systems entirely.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

WotC are doing a fine job milking it for all of its worth. First it was 3.0 which was fine and dandy. They released a bunch of books on it, which I bought, most of them. Than they released rule set 3.5 and all of the new rules books, etc, which I never bothered to buy. Now 4.0? I'll just go back to AD&D and find some of the old resources in used book stores.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Well, if you think 3.5 or even AD&D is fine, then youve got no reason to ever buy a new system.

Here in Sweden, most people still play "Drakar och Demoner"* from 1991 even though there have been 4 new editions since then.

* Its a game of its own and not a translation of D&D, they did choose the similar name to cash in on the hype though. The first editions (1982) was a translation of Chaosiums Basic Role-Playing, it then grew into something completely different

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Well, if you think 3.5 or even AD&D is fine, then youve got no reason to ever buy a new system.

Here in Sweden, most people still play "Drakar och Demoner"* from 1991 even though there have been 4 new editions since then.

* Its a game of its own and  not a translation of D&D, they did choose the similar name to cash in on the hype though. The first editions (1982) was a translation of Chaosiums Basic Role-Playing, it then grew into something completely different

Could it be possible to find that outside Sweduland?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Nope. Although I suppose you could try Swede auction sites. And the rules are all in swedish.

But in all honesty, there are plenty of better systems out there.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Yeah, but it'd be great to play a Norden system, Finnish ones are very rare and very brand, like Myrskyn Aika.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Well, if you want to Ive got some shabby PDF copies of the three basic rulebooks. The copyright went out the window ten years ago so its perfectly legal.

Drakar och Demoner is still in print though. And the most recent version isn't bad. It's just different enough from the older version that old school people wrinkle their nose. And it's got much better layouts and nie hardcover books.

So it could be worth checking out if all you want is a Swedish RPG system.

@Kaftan:

I'm note sure you're right on that copyright thing. If a RPG reaches verksh

Heh, Ive actually met the CEO of Paradox. I dont think theyre in the least concerned about 15year old out-of-print editions of some hokey RPG they bought the rights to.

I saw Drakar och Demoner v.6 and I didnt like that at all as it was IMO a step backwards in that it had fixed classes and levels and so on like D&D. From wikipedia theyre now on v.8, have they gone back to a more advanced system? Oh heck.. someone around here has got to have a book.

I'm not sure, I haven't looked at it since v6 myself. I know they released a free add-on on their webpage with rules for a levelless version of the game. Or maybe in a Player's Guide style book if such has ever been released, not 100% sure. Given how frequently such a system was requested, I'd guess it's have made it into the core rules now one way or another.

And the classes have always existed in Drakar och Demoner, they were just a tad more customizable.

In an attempt to not stray too far off topic: For all of those complaining that WotC are releasing new versions of the game too rapidly, v6 of Drakar and Demoner was released at roughly the same time as D&D and has apparently released two full editions since then. Releasing new editions a few years or so apart is fairly common practice and besides that good business.

edit: according to wikipedia, the current version is v9, but the first from Paradox was v7 so everything else still stands.

edit again: Riotminds (the publisher of Drakar and Demoner who leased the liscence from Paradox and then bought it) did release a Player's Guide type supplement, Drakar och Demoner: Expert and I think that's where the levelless rules where. That was merged into the next (v8) edition, although v9 is a huge reworking of the rules so I have no idea how they look like now.

final edit: After some more checking around I found that Riotminds on their webpage has a short description on how the rules work. It appears that the system is now indeed levelles and that the classes are more customizable. However, they have incorporated a few big changes. The biggest being the removal of Grundegenskaper (abilities I think in D&D) in favor of focusin only on skills.

Edited by Spider