Tux says...

http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/07/25/1726224

A decent read on the 'vicious circle' of Linux gaming. An acurate statement of how companies won't make games for Linux unless it gets more popular and how people won't use it unless more games are made for it.

Stand Your Convictions and You Will Walk Alone.

i'm gonna dual boot shortly. i use linux extensively at work (the system we're developing is built around linux embedded into single board computers) and have opted to continue some of that work at home. it is stable as hell though a little difficult to learn for non-computer/geek types.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Please refrain from making statements of the "you can't be that stupid" variety. If you find the argument stupid, call the argument stupid, not the person.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

If you want to get into Linux you should really try the dist that me and Joe uses, Ubuntu/Kubuntu (Kubuntu has a different GUI)

http://www.kubuntu.org/

Its extremely simple to install and run, even more so than WinXP

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

let the OS holy wars commence once again!

Whose playing the Christians?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Im going to start using Linux primarily with the comming of Windows Vista. It wont let you listen to mp3's or watch video files that arent digitally signed, it wont let you run virtual CD drives like Daemontools, it wont even allow you to download pictures from websites for cryin out loud.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

If it comes to that level remains to be seen, yes. But Vista WILL be the OS with the highest level of Copy-protection/TPM/DRM-integration in history.

Last tidbit I heard from a reliable source (Microsoft interview on IDG.se) was that all decoding/decryption of "protected media" in Windows Vista will take place in a special protected dedicated memory section that is not acccessible to third-party programs.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

If it comes to that level remains to be seen, yes. But Vista WILL be the OS with the highest level of Copy-protection/TPM/DRM-integration in history.

Last tidbit I heard from a reliable source (Microsoft interview on IDG.se) was that all decoding/decryption of "protected media" in Windows Vista will take place in a special protected dedicated memory section that is not acccessible to third-party programs.

I'm willing to bet crackers will have that slice of memory open in a week and a half of use.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Is Microsoft so big that they could force people to switch to an OS that disables functionality that a lot of people already take for granted?

Yes, Microsoft will get people to switch in the following ways

1. Most newer computers will come shipped with it

2. Games will start requiring Vista to run (DX10)

3. Advertising

4. ?

5. Profit

That's about how it'll all pan out.

Edited by LostStraw