So I finally finished KotOR2...

That's right, I finally finished it.

It was a lot better the second time I played it (got up to a certain point involving Atton that I just quit playing).

I'm not really sure what to say...I was expecting the bottem to drop out at the end like a lot of people seemed to complain about. I didn't get that feeling at all. The whole game seemd to really get rolling after Nar Shadda and I couldn't stop playing. The whole thing threw me for a loop. A lot of things happened that I didn't expect to happen ( which I won't name here).

Obsidian did a great bit of story-telling the whole way through. Why did everyone complain about the ending? It was no worse than most other RPGs out there. BG, Fallout, KotOR1, etc. It wasn't spectacular or anything, but it surely did not detract from the rest of the game in the least. It even gave an "epilogue" of sorts about all the characters and places. I've not seen that since Fallout, for crying out loud!

For the rest of the game, wow. I have no idea how many things I missed. Just caught a thread about being able to convert Atton to a Jedi (a dark Jedi, at that!), and I was like WTF!? How did I miss that? Now I don't know if it was the way that I played the game that made it happen or I just lucked into the situation, the way the game handled the situation with the Handmaiden (made her a Jedi) and the timing of the events that unfolded was pretty spot on, following through the whole story. Hmm..maybe I can give the game another proper run through? I would, but I just got FEAR and Spellforce 2.

The use of skills in dialogue (and in general) was pretty good. If Obsidian can do as well with NWN2, I'll be more than happy.

The saber animations and fights were awesome (though easy) to watch, every style included (two sabers, double sabers, single). Made fighting tons of sith fun to watch. Sometimes I just let the battles play out and put my cursor to the side of the screen so it would rotate around the action. Dizzying, but cool, nonetheless.

All in all, kudos Obsidian. Job very well done. Thanks for the game :blink:

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I'm guessing that going in with knowledge of the lackluster ending helped ease the surprise.

And/Or you didn't pay as much attention to certain points.

The game left way too many unanswered questions. The first time I beat the game I was shocked that it was over. I started wondering why I was feeling... unfullfilled, then I thought of various plots.

What the heck was the deal with GO-TO and the remote? Was there anymore to the HK-50 factory? Why did my character just run off without saying good bye to any of the companions? Why was Mira the only one who came to Malachor with the Exile? The deal with how Kreia died but the Exile didn't with their bond?

Many of these things were pretty major plot points. Sometimes directors can cut an entire character out of a story and still have a plot that works perfectly, KoTOR 2 hacked out way too much.

The game itself until leaving for Malachor was amazing and had me hooked at every new plot twist and revelation. The ending though really sapped the overall enjoyment of the game.

I'm glad someone wasn't horribly disapointed by the ending though. In all honesty I really can't see how anyone who had paid attention to the story and was waiting for the big pay off(s) at the end to be revealed could not be disapointed with it...

:blink:

Arkan, the first time I played the game I said the same thing about the ending. I really didn't notice anything was wrong with it until after people pointed it out to me. Like, why Mira was on the surface? I just assumed she wanted to follow you. You've really gotta think about the small details, and then play it through again, just to get the full understanding of why people are so dissapointed in the ending.

That's right, I finally finished it.

It was a lot better the second time I played it (got up to a certain point involving Atton that I just quit playing).

I'm not really sure what to say...I was expecting the bottem to drop out at the end like a lot of people seemed to complain about. I didn't get that feeling at all. The whole game seemd to really get rolling after Nar Shadda and I couldn't stop playing. The whole thing threw me for a loop. A lot of things happened that I didn't expect to happen ( which I won't name here).

Obsidian did a great bit of story-telling the whole way through. Why did everyone complain about the ending? It was no worse than most other RPGs out there. BG, Fallout, KotOR1, etc. It wasn't spectacular or anything, but it surely did not detract from the rest of the game in the least. It even gave an "epilogue" of sorts about all the characters and places. I've not seen that since Fallout, for crying out loud!

For the rest of the game, wow. I have no idea how many things I missed. Just caught a thread about being able to convert Atton to a Jedi (a dark Jedi, at that!), and I was like WTF!? How did I miss that? Now I don't know if it was the way that I played the game that made it happen or I just lucked into the situation,  the way the game handled the situation with the Handmaiden (made her a Jedi) and the timing of the events that unfolded was pretty spot on, following through the whole story. Hmm..maybe I can give the game another proper run through? I would, but I just got FEAR and Spellforce 2.

The use of skills in dialogue (and in general) was pretty good. If Obsidian can do as well with NWN2, I'll be more than happy.

The saber animations and fights were awesome (though easy) to watch, every style included (two sabers, double sabers, single). Made fighting tons of sith fun to watch. Sometimes I just let the battles play out and put my cursor to the side of the screen so it would rotate around the action. Dizzying, but cool, nonetheless.

All in all, kudos Obsidian. Job very well done. Thanks for the game :)

You have quite a bit of issues remaining in TSL to discover.

Deep from within...

Victims live a life of fantasy.

Some see salvation as an act of God, a few look within for it.

朱宣澧

I don't think that you can compare the ending of KOTOR1 to 2, but I did like the ending it was good. I love the game and am playing it through the second time myself, I have almost beaten it again.

"For my ally is the force, and a powerful ally it is"

Actually I was suprised they could make K2 after K1 cos it had an epic and complete ending. But since I found out the events of K2 were 5 years after K1 and that there where different characters I got K2 as well.

No. K2's ending leaves to a sequel... at least the LS ending does...

Actually I was suprised they could make K2 after K1 cos it had an epic and complete ending. But since I found out the events of K2 were 5 years after K1 and that there where different characters I got K2 as well.

No not really, it was obvious they were going to make another one.

Hah...yeah, I forgot about Mira. I guess she died.

Goto? Meh, I never really bothered with him anyway. And my character didn't leave without saying goodbye to his friends.

The ending cinematic showed the EH picking up the protagonist (sort of, anyway)

The bond between the PC and Kreia, well,

I just assumed the bond was severed during the confrontation.

Oh well.

I liked it, and no amount of reflection is going to change the initial enjoyment I got out of it. Perhaps I missed some minor points that didn't strike me until they were brought up here, but that tends to happen when it's passed midnight.

Edited by Arkan

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

No not really, it was obvious they were going to make another one.

I do hope they make one last effort... but I believe it will be far more sophisticated than K1/K2.

Well in a sense it had its meaning. Destroying Malachor (which became an asteroid field afterwards) and leaving for the UR to find Revan... makes sense... it was what the game was meant to leave with: an opening.

The Exile's mission was to end the Sith Wars and go and fight the True Sith.

Hmm..maybe I can give the game another proper run through? I would, but I just got FEAR and Spellforce 2.

All in all, kudos Obsidian. Job very well done. Thanks for the game :blink:

Beware Spellforce 2 it uses StarForce.

Glad you enjoyed the game. I hope Obsidian makes a Kotor 3.

Yes, I know how to bypass StarForce :(

Krookie is right. You should at least play the game 3 or 4 times to understand the whole story and find out which missing parts there are in the game.

Yeah you could find some missing parts, but I think you should understand the story the 1st or 2nd time you play.

What the heck was the deal with GO-TO and the remote? Was there anymore to the HK-50 factory?

According to the New Essential Guide to Droids, HK-47 did canonically visit the HK factory and, together with HK-50s, helped the remote against G0-T0.

Throughout the game there were various glitchy and plot holey things that showed bit of a lack of polish and a little rushing, but they were totally acceptable. Especially considering that the rest of the game was basically a fantastic sequel.

More options, more variation between playthroughs, more skills and powers, new features, better graphics. A+. It starts out slow but once you get off telos it picks up, and it's good times.

But everything after the main part of the story (the four planets) didn't make any sense. Plot hole after plot hole, lots of things which could easily have been explained by adding a single line ina conversation, but they were left gaping.

I wasn't too disappointed that some cool features got cut out, like the multiple (real) endings, and the HK factory, I understand pressure to publish the game, but leaving basic plot exposition out of the picture doesn't work.

The character epilogue thing was nice. Too bad she didn't care to explain what was going with the rest of ending.

How the EH magically repaired itself and flew out of the core of Malachor, why Bao Dur decided to send the remote to reactivate the mass shadow generator, what exactly the mass shadow generator was, aside from a WMD, wtf was up with G0-T0, how Hanharr got there, what Mira was doing, etc, etc, etc.

Some of those have explanations, but the game doesn't tell you that. And those are just the one at the end, not even counting the nonsensical Darth Nihilus, the total illogic of Visas staying with you and her feelings toward your character, the vague, easy to miss explanation for what goes on with Visas and Nihilus on his ship, that scene where G0-T0 literally destroys the Remote and nothing happens.

It's a lot of crap, plus some dumb glotches that really seriously stick out. I don't like the idea of the plot at all, even if you know all the pieces, but it's incomplete, so why even bother criticizing it for it's content.

If the game weren't so darn fantastic in execution in terms of playability, replayability, options and improvements over the original, I wouldn't be playing it for the fourth time.

What the heck was the deal with GO-TO and the remote? Was there anymore to the HK-50 factory?

According to the New Essential Guide to Droids, HK-47 did canonically visit the HK factory and, together with HK-50s, helped the remote against G0-T0.

Who are you quoting from?

Might be quote from previous topic which still relates to how some content was omitted from K2, nonetheless. Abrupt ending was due to lack of time/pressure for early release of game. G0T0's and HK-47's story was left unexplained deeply.

Deep from within...

Victims live a life of fantasy.

Some see salvation as an act of God, a few look within for it.

朱宣澧