Sports Games Thread

Bokishi

Right now I'm playing Rockstar Table Tennis, it rocks, I think it's one of the best games I ever played.

I'm waiting for Madden 07 for my Xbox 360.

Get Pro Evolution Soccer aka Winning Eleven instead, Bok. They actually use their feet believe it or not. And a ball!

Football > Soccer

Wait a minute :blink:

Most of them leave me wanting more.

The thing about most sports games is that I've long since given up on the games (particularly hockey and basketball) being anything like their real life counterparts, but I am very interested in the dynasty modes. Madden was the first one to really catch my interest for its dynasty mode, it sounds like the upcoming NHL game will have some improvements upcoming as well.

MVP Baseball 2005 is the best sports game ever. I am on Season #7, and still rocks. I usually stop quickly (most basketball games), 1 season (most sports), or 2-3 (football); but this one rocks.

Sports games I am looking forward to is the new Smackdown vs. Raw and Madden '2007. NHL 2006 was dreadful, and 2005 was meh so I doubt I'll be in a rush to pick up 2007....

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

NHL 07 looks interesting, as the puck is supposed to be much more independant than previous years. They've always treated the puck like it's a magnet that sticks to the blade of whoever is closest. Still, I don't know what that will do to gameplay.

NCAA 07 (football) is really stripped down. The gameplay is good, but all the neat franchise options and the good drafting stuff is left out. It's bare bones, someone compared it to NCAA 98 and that's pretty accurate.

However, Madden 07 is supposed to have in the Superstar mode and some neat new Franchise stuff. I'm excited to focus solely on the WR position.

SI's sports management sims (Football Manager, Out of the park baseball, East side hockey) > Everything else. Chuck Norris endorsed fact.

These games are also rather unique in that they represent the small minority of modern games which are processor intensive, rather than GPU bound.

You can forget about FPS - it's all about processing times, baby. Think your dual core or SLI graphics card bling is going to carry your measy 32-bit single core CPU for these games? Think again. :o

manthing2.jpg

I have no clue what Jags just said, but I enjoy the hockey games. And I have a vicous left hook in Fight Night Round 2.

And Paul Phoenix is my favorite Tekken character. But sometimes I like Lei Wulong. Or Anna Williams as well. Sometimes Armor King is fun. King notsomuch. Jin's okay but boring. Yoshimitsu is a blast. Plus you can't forget Marshall Law and his somersault press.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I have no clue what Jags just said, but I enjoy the hockey games.  And I have a vicous left hook in Fight Night Round 2.

Then you simply must play Eastside Hockey Manager. Not only is the definitive brilliant hockey game (or as brilliant as hockey gets), but they also commentate of the quality of vicious left hooks! Just ask Alan.

manthing2.jpg

The last sports game I played was NHL2004. When my brother told me they took out create-a-player and you couldn't play a custom team in dynasty mode in 2005 I completely skipped that one. Pretty much all I do in those games is create my #1 line in create a player, then create a custom team and go dynasty mode.

The GM goals sounded lame too. My brother got all angry because he was fired after 3 straight stanley cups because he didn't get the #1 draft pick. I mean duh, the only way you can guarantee getting the #1 draft pick is if you're in last place.

I need to get the next major wrestling game too. Those are hella fun. Though the last one I played was Smackdown! Bring the Pain or something like that.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The GM goals were broken in NHL 2005. As were many other things. I couldn't change goalies when not at home, it would only let me change my opponents goalie. How does that slip by the testers? They never even patched that, to my knowledge.

MVP Baseball 2005 is the best sports game ever. I am on Season #7, and still rocks.

Going to have to agree with you on this. Usually I don't play the same sports game for more than a year but MVP '05 has held my interest longer. Best baseball game out there, not even the new ones come close!

So true. The coolest part is that you can constantly change the various options like contact, power, and the like so if you ar ehitting the ball too easy you can mix it up. The worst part is sometimes the computer acts retarded and takes away a hit and gives an error because an outfielder allows the ball to bounce over their head costing average and potential rbis. I'm a stats freak (I write stats down afetr every season, heh) so it just annoys me. Overall though the game handles errors rather well comparitively speaking.

I just finished my 7th regular season with a 100-62 record second overall to the 104-58 Angels. I'm the Mets. I had a horrible June (under .500_ which hurt me other wise I did well. i couldn't really score any runs for some reason that month. Heh.

Play-off time. Can I make it 4th series win in a row, and 5th in 7 seasons. That's another thing - in 99% of sports games, my ultimate victory is assured. Not here. i'll liekly win; but it's not an absolute guarantee.

MVP Baseball 2005 4 THA WIN! :cool:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

So true. The coolest part is that you can constantly change the various options like contact, power, and the like so if you ar ehitting the ball too easy you can mix it up. The worst part is sometimes the computer acts retarded and takes away a hit and gives an error because an outfielder allows the ball to bounce over their head costing average and potential rbis. I'm a stats freak (I write stats down afetr every season, heh) so it just annoys me. Overall though the game handles errors rather well comparitively speaking.

I just finished my 7th regular season with a 100-62 record second overall to the 104-58 Angels. I'm the Mets. I had a horrible June (under .500_ which hurt me other wise I did well. i couldn't really score any runs for some reason that month. Heh.

Play-off time. Can I make it 4th series win in a row, and 5th in 7 seasons. That's another thing - in 99% of sports games, my ultimate victory is assured. Not here. i'll liekly win; but it's not an absolute guarantee.

MVP Baseball 2005 4 THA WIN! :cool:

LOL I'm a stat freak too and that error bug annoys the hell out of me. My player will hit one down the line, clearly a hit, and the AI outfielder will misplay the ball and the game will score the entire play as an error, costing my guy a hit and possibly rbis.

I generally play Dynasty mode and I'm in my second season. I also tend to play games in conjuction with the real baseball season so my MVP season lasts roughly 6-7 months, including post-season. I'm only into playing baseball games during baseball season because when fall hits I switch to basketball, football mode. :lol:

I find it interesting that your team is the Mets and the Angels finished with the 2nd best record because my team is the Angels, which currently have the best record followed by the Mets. :D

Just out of curiosity, do you play Yahoo! Fantasy baseball?