Tiny tidbit on OE's Sega game

Llyranor

http://www.firingsquad.com/games/nwn2_interview/

And on page 2:

FiringSquad: Obsidian recently signed a new deal with Sega to create an all new RPG franchise. What can you tell us about the game at this point and how does it feel to be working on an original creation?

Feargus Urquhart: It's both exciting and somewhat intimidating to be working on our own thing for a change. It's great because we have a ton of freedom to do what we think is best, which Sega is incredible about supporting. However, since there is no license or game system to base things on we could start getting rapidly off track with nothing to really double check our insanity against. So with the opportunity comes the need to be responsible about what we are making - ok that sounded a little too much like Uncle Ben, but it's true. :rolleyes:

So confirmed original IP \o/

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

\,,/

Yay!

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

It's both exciting and somewhat intimidating to be working on our own thing for a change.

Does this mean PNJ is dead; considering that should *HAVE* been an own IP thing too; and thereby make this line kind of futile?

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

New Jersey doesn't "officially" exist right now. the game, not the city

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It's both exciting and somewhat intimidating to be working on our own thing for a change.

Does this mean PNJ is dead; considering that should *HAVE* been an own IP thing too; and thereby make this line kind of futile?

PNJ is/was semi-own IP.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

And since its being published by SEGA, it cant be an Xbox exclusive like PNJ was supposed to be since Xbox exclusives are only published by MGS, right?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

A pacrpg which is NOT set on a desert in the States. I wish.

kirottu said:

Why? It's not like the target group knows what is a pacrpg. You could very well have two out and both would sell well. I mean, it doesn't have to be a desert with mutants and modern weaponry, right? Post-apocalyptic is a wide genre nomer.

kirottu said:

If anything, games tend to be released in bunches. One company releases a successful cricket-rpg then everyone will follow suit... I mean, why are 95% of all MMO's generic fantasy otherwise

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Case in point: NWN 2 Gothic 3 and Dark Messiah get released at roughly the same time.

kirottu said:

Wasn't Torn an original IP? Didn't Uncle Fergie nuke it of its misery after months and months of crippling pain?

Sounds like the kiss of death to me.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Indeed, every original IP Fergie is involved with will suffer the same cursed fate! O, the misery of one doomed at its inception!

An own IP with SEGA as the publisher, sounds pretty nifty :(

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

On one hand, you have to concede that Feargus and friends made a big mistake with Torn. Now, I'm sure there were all sorts of extenuating circumstances, but those aren't our concern.

On the other hand, even if we could rest the blame entirely on Feargus' feet, then it still doesn't make sense to write off a new IP because once, a while back, he made mistakes. I figure everyone deserves the chance to make good on past mistakes. That goes for forum monkeys and CEOs.

If we were Sega, maybe we'd make a better decision. We're not. We're folks discussing things on a message board, one that Feargus and friends were kind enough to provide for us. They figure they get some hardcore nerd fans and we figure we can discuss games, computers, and God knows what else. So, while we can speculate, and some of it will undoubtedly center on past triumphs and failures, I think we should give Feargus a break.

We're talking about someone who snatched victory from the jaws of defeat, leaving IP, knocking the dust off his boots, and starting over again. Together with the other folks who took the chance, he worked to secure two huge titles, and now he's pursuing an original setting.

I won't lock this thread for folks respectfully voicing doubt in Feargus or the company. When we agreed to the terms and coditions of this board, we signed on as members, not slaves. We debate and discuss, and some will cite past failures. Fair enough.

For myself, however, I have a huge amount of respect for Feargus. He's made some mistakes. I've cited some myself. Nevertheless, he didn't face failure only to grab his ball and go home. He kept working and striving. He saw the train coming at Interplay and jumped out of the way. He wasn't satisfied with how the company was running, so, with other like minded folks, he founded his own company.

Maybe I won't like the way this new project looks during devolopment. It might never come to anything. ...But I sure as hell have respect for Feargus' dogged determination to hold to his vision.

:Cantousent's Gromnir summoning with a huge grin icon:

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I just wanted to point out that the top selling games of all times have ALL been IP's.

and IP means "intellectual property" not "independant production" so the correct term is to say that Project SEGA will be OE's own IP. KoTOR is IP too, just Lucasarts IP