The best of modern Thrash, Death and Grind

roshan

Ive recently started to get bored of the whole Nu Metal thing and have started to get into some more traditional sort of metal. However, I dont want to listen to some 80s stuff with afwul production. I want to listen to modern extreme metal.

I really like City by Strapping Young Lad, Brujerizmo by Brujeria, Soundtrack to Your Escape by In Flames and Art of Balance by Shadows Fall.

Can anyone recommend some modern thrash, death, melodic death and grind bands, and name their best albums?

Thanks.

I don't get the appeal of In Flames. They bore me out of my mind. They don't even grate on my nerves like most similar bands do. They just make me yawn.

Anyway, Baley is pretty much spot on lacking only Opeth and Kamelot.

EDIT: And of course, you must pay tribute to Black Sabbath.

Edited by TrueNeutral

Mastodon

The Sword

Dillinger Escape Plan pre Miss Machine

Isis, Callisto and Neurosis although some probably say they're all closer to post rock than metal.

Akimbo

Envy

edti: And Baley, is Sunn O))) really the kind of stuff you think he's looking for? I mean even Boris is a bit of a stretch...

Edited by Lare Kikkeli

edti: And Baley, is Sunn O))) really the kind of stuff you think he's looking for? I mean even Boris is a bit of a stretch...

Honestly? No. But the guy wanted some modern metal and you don't really get any heavier than Sleep or Sunn O)). Maybe Neurosis, or some random band I've yet to hear. Really, though, those are basically the first bands that come to mind when I think "metal". And in hindsight, I'm missing a few greats like, Neurosis, Clutch and that one decent EoS album.

Sunn O))) concerts make your brain explode.

Seriously.

Yup, agreed.

I would like to add Opeth, with Blackwater Park being a great "get-into" album. Still Life is their best. Also Meshuggah (Destroy, Erase, Improve) and Necrophagist are great if you want it more technical. Suffocation and Cryptopsy are also considered good death-metal bands by people that aren't even into metal.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Dark Funeral is stupid. And Baley's list is so not gonna interest you, roshan. Other stuff I pretty much agree on. You could probably like those. So, with that in mind, here's some bands. These aren't eaxtly my favorites, only stuff you might like, and since I agree with most of the stuff that's already been mentioned, I won't repeat the recommendations here.

Recommendations as follows(lawl):

Nile You'll probably dig their new album.

Mors Principium EstThe Unborn is very good

Mythological Cold Towers Doom, very entertaining doom. The newest album is the lightest.

Edge of Sanity Everyone should listen to Crimson 1 and 2. Everyone.

GOJIRA Liked Mastodon? You'll dig this. Absolutely too heavy for comfort

Celtic Frost You'd be stupid not to listen to try them.

Dragonforce Funniest band alive.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Dude, that's why it's fun. And the C64 solos are hilarious.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds