8800 GTX gonna pwn you in September

Bokishi

You cant SLI/Crossfire ANY double-slot cards, can you?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

*stares at the pictures* *stares some more*

Time for motherboard companies to redesign their boards, soon, perhaps? >_<

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

How much bigger can these things get? I mean, there was a time when companies were proud at how small they could make a component. Now, the video cards are huge and the manufacturers are telling us we might need a secondary PSU just to make the things work.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

What I find tantalising about it - to be honest - is the flexibility it might offer the mobile user. My current upgrade is a SFF as the power of a notebook is hampered by the GPU. If, however, I had access to an external graphics solution, I could chuck the PDA and go with a powerful - yet small - notebook and when @ home link to a high-end GPU box. Now that would be sweet!

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

I just think it would be easier to cool and easier to replace.

Agreed! And the longecity factor of modularity would perhaps help with this crazy constant upgrade route for PC Gecklings :p

The universe is change;
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

If I understood the article correctly, you can link up to 32 external cards, does that mean for SLI power?

I don't see that as the implication - though I suspect the technology could hypothetically do such a thing. That would be a lot of power indeed.

The universe is change;
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

Oh, that's too funny. talk about modularity. I was afraid you'd have 768 different cases! Your solution is much better.

Forget the batmobile. Instead, you've got the casemobile.

I'd think external video cards must make it a lot easier to use a few. 768 is a bit out of my price range, however.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

How fast would an external graphics solution be? Would they just be using an existing interface like Firewire.

It just sounds like another potential bottleneck. I can't imagine it being easy to compete with a PCI-E 16x connector attached right to the motherboard.

How fast would an external graphics solution be?  Would they just be using an existing interface like Firewire.

It just sounds like another potential bottleneck.  I can't imagine it being easy to compete with a PCI-E 16x connector attached right to the motherboard.

I was wondering this too. Are there problems with the length of wire as to why they couldn't just make something like a long extension from the video card to the PCI-E 16x on the motherboard?

I'm not familiar with such things.

Are there problems with the length of wire...

Wire length is a HUGE problem in general. As clock speeds keep increasing, one of the single largest problems chip designers have to face today is the amount of time it takes for a signal to travel from one end of a chip to another. It is very hard to do this in one cycle nowadays. Transistors are becoming smaller and faster, but wire delays are becoming increasingly dominant.

Of course, once you get out of the extremely constrained on-chip design parameters, you do have a little more room to play. I'm sure a couple of (processor) cycles of extra latency on the PCI-express bus won't hurt much today, but I don't know if such a modular solution would work in the long term. We seem to be moving towards a System-On-Chip paradigm, where most of the critical components of the system are integrated onto a single chip. AMD have already integrated the FSB into the chip. GPUs will soon follow, and then you'll have your network card, South Bridge, audio, Firewire and RAID controllers.. everything, on chip. The only thing left on your "motherboard" would be power supply components and possibly DRAM.

It's not for the average home users though, starting at $17,500.

Fixed. :o

I want one. I could afford it, but still, I think hubby would be a little mad at me...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts