What Are You Reading?

Baley

Seeing how the other thread has gone the way of the grave, or Obsidian Moderation in our case, same thing, anyway, I sure bet you're all avid readers, perfect, great, here we go.

I owe Pedersen some quick thoughts on Kierkegaard, and I will post them, I promise, once I get drunk enough and prepare myself for his existentialist dribble, I don't like alcohol all that much, but hey, me and ole' Soren spending a quick night talking in tongues and thinking out loud, for what more can a bloke ask?

Charles Bukowski -  The Last Generation

it was much easier to be a genius in the twenties, there were

only 3 or 4 literary magazines and if you got into them

4 or 5 times you could end up in Gertie's parlor

you could possibly meet Picasso for a glass of wine, or

maybe only Mir

I'm currently reading a Bernard Cornwell book titled "The Winter King". Cornwell is one of my favorite writers. He focuses on historical fiction, and his Richard Sharpe Series follows the Duke of Welllington through his career. I also loved the Grail series with followed a Longbowman through parts of the 100 years war. The series had one of the best endings I have ever read, it was simply unique and entirely realistic.

He does a good job of conveying realism with his adventure, and "Winter King" is a bit more fantastical than the other two series I mentioned. It's on King Authur, so he's forced to rely on a lot of conjecture, whereas his other works are taken straight out of the history books.

Dostoievski - The Gambler

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Curious fact, my last drinking partner had Bukowski's Post Office in his bag. I thought he was a total jerkface at first but looks can be deciev...and you know.

I just finished reading Mika Waltari's The Etruscan(Turms Kuolematon), which surpisignly enough turned out to be a mild satire on epic, while the book started more like a typical growing up and getting kick out of swords and sorcery type of story. In an ancient greek/etruscan/persian milieu of course, but a fantasy story nonetheless.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Oh god, The Belgariad were my first fantasy books. Such memories...

Now I can't even look at the books, since I found out that Eddings just repeats the same character personalities and plots over and over again. Although I think that after his wife came along the books have been gradually worse. I remember reading everything except that new Elder Gods thing. I tried them, but it was just too horrible.

A good name wasted. ;)

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Thing I'm reading at the moment, A minor interpretation of Karl Marx and the Commie Manifesto :(

And I had to read a book for english which I have to do an 1000 word essay on by next week (sounds easy and I suppose it is, I just cant be screwed doing it)

Haven't started it yet, but have to read The Left Hand of Darkness.  Is it any good?  Or am I in for a real drag?

Another book I own and haven't read. But it won the Hugo and Nebula awards and is highly regarded. I would assume you won't be dissapointed.

currently reading:

Steven Erikson - Memories of Ice

Charles de Lint - Seven Wild Sisters

Stephen king - Night Shift

George R.R. Martin - A Rretrospective

Edgar Allan Poe's Dark Dreams

Edited by Ellester

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Curious fact, my last drinking partner had Bukowski's Post Office in his bag.

Heh. I do prefer his poems though. As for being a jerk, well, when you drink, you drink, some turn sappy and others don't, as long as your rectum's intact your friend's a bud. Unless of course you asked him, nicely or clumsily, to deflower it with ease of spirit and mind.

Now, on the other hand, if you thought Bukowski was a jerkface, you should read Women.

Haven't started it yet, but have to read The Left Hand of Darkness.  Is it any good?  Or am I in for a real drag?

Her ideas are good and her heart's in the right place, but Le Guin just ain't a compelling writer, sure, she's above average in the nerdish, bulky world of SF, but outside of it, she just doesn't cut it. The Left Hand does drag a bit, at least it did when I read it a few years back.

Edited by Baley

Illias->Illiad

Belgarion->Belgariad

Makes sense, no?

kirottu said:

I think the translation thing is kinda explained by my last post. We don't have Illiad here, do we?

kirottu said:

I gave Life Of Pi as a birthday gift to my sister. How do you like it Rosbjerg?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I gave Life Of Pi as a birthday gift to my sister. How do you like it Rosbjerg?

it's a really wonderful book .. It was one of the few books that really made me feel with and not just for the character.. but it is as good as you wanna make it, for me it was the right amount of philosophical, since more would've distracted from the story and not too focused on Pi himself, but more on how he saw the world .. which is a much better way of understanding an individual imo .. it's absolutely one of the best books I've read this year!

Fortune favors the bald.

I'm currently reading Dune: The Machine Crusade. I'm going to need to pick up Dune: The Battle of Corrin soon as I'll probably have finished my current book in another day or two. Then I can go back and actually read through the original Dune that I recent discover hiding in the bowels of my room...