War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Josh has great taste in keyboards.

I built my computer around the Model M. (1993 vintage)

*edit*

looked at the mouse.

Is that an Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 as well?

*edit #2*

looked at your speakers.

Is that a Cambridge Soundworks classic Soundworks in beige?

This is freaky. We have the same PC peripheral setup.

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Josh has great taste in keyboards.

I built my computer around the Model M. (1993 vintage)

*edit*

looked at the mouse.

Is that an Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 as well?

*edit #2*

looked at your speakers.

Is that a Cambridge Soundworks classic Soundworks in beige?

This is freaky. We have the same PC peripheral setup.

O.o

Leferd = JE?

• 2 weeks later...

It's not a totally kick ass machine like Bok's but it works just fine for running WoW. :)

Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 CPU

8gb of A-Data DDR2 800

EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 640mb

Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum

WD Raptor 74gb(Primary)

Seagate 320gb(Secondary)

Samsung DVD/CD burner

Acer 21" LCD monitor

Corsair 520w power supply

Antec Solo case

Windows XP SP3

Windows Vista Ultimate SP1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
My computer eventually ended up being "complete"

Antec Performance One P182

Antec TruePower Quatro 1000 PSU

Asus P5E3 Premium WIFI - X48 chipset

2 * Corsair (2x2GB) PC-10600 (1333MHz) XMP DDR3 (8GB total)

Intel QX9650 CORE 2 Extreme Quad Core (water cooled)

Zalman Reserator 2 Fanless Water Cooling System

Creative PCI EXPRESS X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series

1 * Samsung Spinpoint F1 1 TB

2 * Samsung 500GB 'HD502IJ'

2 * Seagate 640GB 'ST3400320AS'

Sapphire ATI Radeon 4870X2 w. 2 Gb DDR5 ram (tore off the stock fan (and the warranty) and equipped it with a cooling block from EK Water Blocks, Slovenia)

Samsung 30" SyncMaster 305T+

Running Vista Ultimate 64bit

Various peripherals: Wacom tablet, Microsoft LiveCam, Microsoft Multimedia Keyboard, Microsoft 5 button mouse (very old), Saitek X52 Pro flight stick, various external HDD and USB sticks, old 5.1 Speaker/Amplifier set from Creative. The latter is probably the only part I intend to replace in the near future with some nice 7.1 surround set.

Decided that my computer needed a bit more Oomph! on the sound side, so I ordered a "Creative Gigaworks S750 7.1 Channel Speaker System - THX Certified" set. Let the music begin :sorcerer:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

After a few years of space issues and laptops, we finally built a new PC. Well, The Boy built a new PC, I made tea and accompanied him on an epic journey to the nearest stockist when he realised at 430pm on Friday that the Noctua cooler he ordered was for the wrong socket... Arriving 6 minutes before closing after a rather tense journey on the motorway during rush hour = win.

Here's what we ended up with:

Coolermaster Cosmos S Black Aluminium Case

Zalman ZM750-HP ATX SILENTPSU

Asus P6T Deluxe V2 X58 Motherboard

Intel Core i7 2.66GHz

Noctua NH-U12P SE1366

6gb (3x2GB) OCZ DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800 Gold XTC Triple Channel Memory

1GB BFG GeForce GTX285 OCX

Asus Xonar D2 7.1 PCI Sound Card

1.5TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HDD

Samsung SM2433BW 24" LCD Black Widescreen

Sony DVD Drive

Logitech G15 Keyboard

Microsoft Sidewinder Mouse

Something old: Altec Lansing XA3021 speakers.

Vista Home Premium x64

Unfortunately, the Noctua cooler with it's two fans meant that we had to remove the fan from the side of the case before it would close. D'oh. Not a huge deal though, the cooling seems to be more than adequate as it is.

The G15 keyboard is getting on my nerves somewhat, as I'm not used to having extra keys down the lefthand side...hitting random buttons instead of the shift key is super fun! I do like the little LCD display though. I expected to hate the Sidewinder mouse, but am actually fairly happy with it.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

^Whew, dumped some coin there. Beautiful system!

I know...a tad excessive, probably, but what the hell... My laptop was starting to depress me.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

After a few years of space issues and laptops, we finally built a new PC. Well, The Boy built a new PC, I made tea and accompanied him on an epic journey to the nearest stockist when he realised at 430pm on Friday that the Noctua cooler he ordered was for the wrong socket... Arriving 6 minutes before closing after a rather tense journey on the motorway during rush hour = win.

Here's what we ended up with:

Coolermaster Cosmos S Black Aluminium Case

Zalman ZM750-HP ATX SILENTPSU

Asus P6T Deluxe V2 X58 Motherboard

Intel Core i7 2.66GHz

Noctua NH-U12P SE1366

6gb (3x2GB) OCZ DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800 Gold XTC Triple Channel Memory

1GB BFG GeForce GTX285 OCX

Asus Xonar D2 7.1 PCI Sound Card

1.5TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HDD

Samsung SM2433BW 24" LCD Black Widescreen

Sony DVD Drive

Logitech G15 Keyboard

Microsoft Sidewinder Mouse

Something old: Altec Lansing XA3021 speakers.

Vista Home Premium x64

Unfortunately, the Noctua cooler with it's two fans meant that we had to remove the fan from the side of the case before it would close. D'oh. Not a huge deal though, the cooling seems to be more than adequate as it is.

The G15 keyboard is getting on my nerves somewhat, as I'm not used to having extra keys down the lefthand side...hitting random buttons instead of the shift key is super fun! I do like the little LCD display though. I expected to hate the Sidewinder mouse, but am actually fairly happy with it.

That's pretty similar to what I'm running, but I've got an Evga board, and their oc'd 285, and Dominator instead of OCZ. I'll be getting 6gb more RAM and two more graphics cards in a few months. Overkill is great, isn't it?

Oh, and different cooler too. And my proc is pretty OC'd.

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

• 2 weeks later...

Newly added:

Benq FP241W, 24" P-MVA TFT.

Nothing new'n'fancy, but better picture and faster responsetime than my old MVA panel. There's also an Antec P182 standing around here, to be filled in the coming month(s) with new hardware, if I find the time...

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

• 3 weeks later...

New Laptop Specs:

Intel Core2Duo T5270 (1.4GHz, 1.4Ghz)

2.00GB RAM (Soon to be 3.00GB or 4.00GB)

256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT

320GB Western Digital Scorpio Black (16MB Cache, 7200RPM)

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

• 1 month later...

Over the past few months, my new system has slowly been coming together, starting with the screen mentioned above and a WLAN router / stick. It now consists of:

Antec P182

BeQuiet P7 550W

Gigabyte ma790fxt ud5p

Phenom II X4 955

4GB of 1333MHz DDR3 8-8-8-24 2T @1.5V

Samsung HE322HJ 320GB single platter

WD 1TB Green

ATi HD 4770

LG DVDBurner/HDDVD/Bluray player

case - got it just in time before the P183 was released >_< Was partly a pain to install, otoh it looks better than the 183. I'm surprised how well the HD de-coupling works. I don't hear anything from them :)

PSU - currently too powerful, but who knows what the future holds. Until then it's ok because efficiency @low load isn't bad at all.

mobo - I wanted the MSI GD70 but it was inexistent in Switzerland for months, so I got that one. No problems so far.

CPU - got it real cheap and it works like a charm :) currently undervolting, 3.2GHz@1.25V (VID: 1.35) and 800MHz@0.925V have been running Prime for three hours, going to test further

RAM - currently running @ 1333 7-7-7-20 1T @1.6V. Mobo doesn't want to supply less than 1.6V, so I overclocked the RAM...

HD1 - for programs. Read horror stories about those failing, but can't read out SMART-values due to AHCI - great :(

HD2 - for storage.

GPU - yeah, out of proportion ;) But: 1. another cheap buy. Seem to be one of the few persons who got hold of it? 2. it's just a replacement as something that uses little power when gaming and can handle a my games until Win7, DX11 comes out by the end of the year. For backup purposes, should the upcoming performance card die. Reacts nicely to lowering RAM speed when not gaming :)

DVD/BD - having an HD screen and an HDCP gfx-card, why not invest something extra that would allow me to watch a BD if I wanted?

As I currently don't have any time for games, I'm underclocking and undervolting graphics card and CPU, but both offer a lot of headroom into the other direction should power be needed :) Also, this was the first system that really started up at the very first try, even though I did some experiments (for my standards) by first creating a custom WinXP-CD with SP3 and Sata-drivers slipstreamed, flashing the bios from a bootable USB-stick before installing anything, then setting HDs to AHCI-mode... Everything fine so far.

Edited by samm

ASUS P5QL PRO

Intel Core Duo 2 E7400

2 GB Kingston DDRII667 RAM

Gaiward 9800GT

Onboard Audio

Samsung 80GB 7200RPM

Samsung 320GB SATA2

Seagate 1Tb 7200 RPM S-ATA2 32Mb

Samsung 19" 923NW

Gamepad XFX XGear Dual Reflex

Upgrade time! New motherboard, new CPU and new hard drive.

HDD: 81,50

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

... this model is the exact same one that is used at work, and as such I had excellent first hand gaming experience with it.

You sure your boss doesn't read forums? :thumbsup:

Nice machine. As much as I love Samsung monitors, I can't say that I've had much luck with their HDD's. Seagate may be "noisier", but at least they keep working :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

My experience with HDDs, as far as durability goes, is that it's really just the luck of the draw, more or less regardless of brand.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Seagate may be "noisier", but at least they keep working :aiee:
Mileage may vary >_< In the end, they all fail - or not. I've had the infamous IBM DTLA, which survived at least until I changed my PC, three Samsungs and a WD, all of them working until I upgraded, which took 3 / 5 years respectively...

GFX card: GTX260 Core 216

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP45C-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX

PSU: StealthXStream OCZ600SXS 600W ATX12V

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33 GHz LGA 775 95W

RAM: Corsair 4GB DDR2

HD: Wester Digital Caviar 320GB 7200 RPM SATA

Can't wait until it all arrives in the mail to actually build the computer... though there's always a risk I screwed up and picked a combination that doesn't work together. At least it only cost me 850$CA.>.>

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just got my additional 2G of RAM that I ordered. Gotta love XP 3.25Gs of RAM. Come on Windows 7. I'm getting this computer set up for Windows 7. Now to order that nifty ATI 5870 card.

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

Just got my additional 2G of RAM that I ordered. Gotta love XP 3.25Gs of RAM. Come on Windows 7. I'm getting this computer set up for Windows 7. Now to order that nifty ATI 5870 card.

I so hear you about the RAM thing! I too hope Windows 7 is what I am hoping it will be :)

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

I tried the RC of Windows 7 and I like it. Far better than Vista which I never bought but I tried it on my parents computer. My love of XP will come to an end next week.

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

• 3 weeks later...

Why does Windows 7 that I have 3.25 Gs of usuable RAM?

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG