POST YOUR SPECS

Bokishi

New RIG (not that great)

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 CPU

4 gigs of Patriot Viper DDR2 RAM (one stick is probably bad because I keep getting BSoD IRQL crashes)

EVGA GeForce 8800GT

WD Velociraptor main drive

WD Raptor secondary drive

Dell 24" LCD monitors

Samsung Super Writemaster DVD burner

Antec TruePower 2.0 550w power supply

Windows XP SP3

onboard audio, LAN, etc.

I'm guessing the 8800GT will struggle with Aliens on a 24" screen.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Ooh, I smell wasted money ;) (only half kidding, price/performance ratio on the fastet dual core isn't great at all, here that is, don't know about the US)

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I hope Aliens does run fine with a 8800GT on a 22" screen. If the 360 can handle Aliens, a Core2Quad with 8800GT should handle it as well....hopefully.

Well, on the same detail level, hopefully it will. But I'm guessing(praying?), Aliens will look considerably snazzier maxed out on a PC than on a 360.

I have a 8800GT myself, but my screen is a 17" CRT so let's see if I can max it out completely.

Heja Sverige!!

Update

Core 2 e8400 @ 3.8 GHz

EVGA nForce 680i

3x EVGA GTX 280 Triple-SLI

8GB OCZ nVidia SLI DDR2 800

Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty

150GB RaptorX

2x 1TB Hitachi Deskstars

1200w Thermaltake Toughpower (Tri-SLI 280 Certified)

LG Blu-Ray Burner

CoolerMaster Stacker 830

30" Dell 3007WFP-HC

Windows Vista x64 SP1

Some pics

xIMG_5409.jpg

xIMG_5383.jpg

xIMG_5402.jpg

xIMG_5401.jpg

Wow bok, nice use of space. I cant believe your mobo had room for a audio card. If only you had a quadcore to help your framerate with GTA IV! Sharp machine. I might upgrade my CPU and Ram this summer with a Q9550 and 6 to 8 gigs of ram. Is it worth it if im running windows Vista 64?

Bok is clearly an evil man.

Heja Sverige!!

Wow bok, nice use of space. I cant believe your mobo had room for a audio card. If only you had a quadcore to help your framerate with GTA IV! Sharp machine. I might upgrade my CPU and Ram this summer with a Q9550 and 6 to 8 gigs of ram. Is it worth it if im running windows Vista 64?

Yeah, the only thing a quad will help me with is GTA 4. e8400 and the i7 are still pretty much equals in most game benchmarks, so I left it alone for now. And yeah gets lot's of DDR2 Ram it's cheap, you can probably get 8GB for under a hundred dollars these days. DDR2 performance compared to DDR3 in games is still only 2-3 fps, not worth the price premium for now

He actually has fans on the acrylic glass that force air around them, plus they blow most of the heat outside the case which is a necessity. Im guessing its still very hot though, i wouldnt overclock them past whatever the factory set them at.

They idle at 40-50C. I haven't measured in game yet though. If you look to the right of the cards, there's two 90mm fans stacked on top of each other that push air through the front, this helped me lower temps drastically last summer with the triple 8800s. The fans on the acrylic door are positioned so one blows in cool air, and the other is reversed so it can be like an exhaust for the hot air inside the case, this should help with air circulation around the cards I think

You need to clean the dust out of your CPU fan Bok. Looks like the same fan cooler I have.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Ooh, I smell wasted money :lol: (only half kidding, price/performance ratio on the fastet dual core isn't great at all, here that is, don't know about the US)

It seems to be a reasonable price::performance ratio to me. The i7 motherboards and CPUs weren't really necessary for how I'm using my home machine. Here's the whole desktop layout for doing mod work at home:

go_time.jpg

I'm trying to set things up so I run modules on the XPS laptop and do all of my toolset work on the desktop. I'm hoping I can cut down on iteration time this way, but it may not pan out.

It seems to be a reasonable price::performance ratio to me. The i7 motherboards and CPUs weren't really necessary for how I'm using my home machine. Here's the whole desktop layout for doing mod work at home:

What he means is that you can get the exact same chip (the E8400) for a LOT less, just slightly factory underclocked. A quick tweak in the motherboard BIOS and you'll have a normal E8400 up and running a good 10-20% faster than a E8600. Of course, you can overclock the E8600 too but you'll reach the same results as with the E8400.. which is cheaper.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

What he means is that you can get the exact same chip (the E8400) for a LOT less, just slightly factory underclocked. A quick tweak in the motherboard BIOS and you'll have a normal E8400 up and running a good 10-20% faster than a E8600. Of course, you can overclock the E8600 too but you'll reach the same results as with the E8400.. which is cheaper.

Oh, I see. This may sound pretty dumb, but I haven't overclocked anything in a long time. I've been out of PC building for so long that I was sort of lost when I was putting this new system together. I tried to pay attention to all of the important data, but I guess I missed overclocking flexibility.

[quote name='H

That keyboard looks like it's 20 years old.

Heja Sverige!!