POST YOUR SPECS

Bokishi

So far acquired...

Antec Performance One P182

Antec TruePower Quatro 1000 PSU

Samsung Spinpoint F1 1 Terabyte HD

Asus P5E3 Premium WIFI - X48 chipset

2 x Corsair (2 x 2GB) PC-10600 (1333MHz) XMP DDR3 (8GB total)

Intel QX9650 CORE 2 Extreme Quad Core

Zalman Reserator 2 Fanless Water Cooling System with cpu and vga (not used yet) block

Asus 2400pro 256 mb silent video card - *Snigger! 50$ and it runs DirectX10 and Vista Aero*

No dedicated sound card yet. No "real" gfx card yet.

No fancy peripherals yet (throw away keyboard/mouse)

Running Vista Ultimate 64bit

Putting in an on-line order for a "Creative PCI EXPRESS X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series [22C-XFITFC]" and two "Samsung 500GB 'HD502IJ' HDD - SATA II 7200rpm" to set up in a 1TB RAID 0 (no idea what HDP is, they claim that the HDD is 20% faster).

I plan on reusing my old 5.1 speakers for the sound card for a while. One, because they are decent and Two, because I wouldn't know how to fit 7.1 speakers into my office anyway. Through some clever shelf and furniture arrangement, nobody is tripping over the speaker cables as it it -_-

It still leaves me with the headache of deciding on a gfx card and a monitor. I am probabling going for the Sapphire HD4870X2 ATI card, but I want to wait until the first production runs have been passed over the counter. Somebody might also finish and bring a watercooling solution to the market for it in the meantime.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I think im going to wait until he next windows to upgrade my system. Hopefully then everythign will be standard 64bit. and ill get another couple gigs of ram, and bumpr up my graphic card along with a new CPU. The E8400 probably. Who knows whats going to be the best graphic card for the money in the future, all i know right now is that the 8800GT i have niow is great except the cheaop onboard ram it has occasionally over heats which is super lame.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

• 3 weeks later...

ASUS P5L-VM 1394

Pentium 4 631 3.0 GHz

2 GB Kingston DDRII667 RAM

Gaiward 9800GT

Onboard Audio (my old SB Live! died on me a while ago

Samsung 80GB 7200RPM

Samsung 320GB SATA2

Samsung 17" 795MB

Gamepad XFX XGear Dual Reflex

New graphics card for 112

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

• 1 month later...

P965 Mobo

E6600 2.4 CPU

8800GT

2 gigs of 800Mhz DDR2 Ram

Creative Xfi Sound Card

Its has handled any game I've thrown out it so far with great resolutions. Maybe in the summer time Ill upgrade the CPU to a Quad or Dual E8400. And get another GPU whenever there will be another bargain with a substantial performance increase like the 8800GT was...

Whatever happened to Physic cards? lol ... bok

Asus M2A-VM

AMD 5000+ Black Edition OC @ 3.0Ghz

Xigmatek HDT-S1283 Heatsink

4GB OCZ PC-6400 RAM

Diamond Radeon 4850

Corsair 450VX PSU

WD 320GB Hard Drive

Coolermaster CM 690

BenQ 24" G2400WD LCD

Just pulled the trigger on a new monitor. Will post more pictures when it get's here. :shifty:

• 1 month later...

Oh yeah, should post here too.

HP dv5-1131tx

Intel Core2Duo P7350 (2.0 GHz, 3 MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB)

3gb ram DDR2

320gb HDD 5400RPM

GeForce 9600M GT 512mb (dedicated)

15'4" screen WXGA

My computer eventually ended up being "complete"

Antec Performance One P182

Antec TruePower Quatro 1000 PSU

Asus P5E3 Premium WIFI - X48 chipset

2 * Corsair (2x2GB) PC-10600 (1333MHz) XMP DDR3 (8GB total)

Intel QX9650 CORE 2 Extreme Quad Core (water cooled)

Zalman Reserator 2 Fanless Water Cooling System

Creative PCI EXPRESS X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series

1 * Samsung Spinpoint F1 1 TB

2 * Samsung 500GB 'HD502IJ'

2 * Seagate 640GB 'ST3400320AS'

Sapphire ATI Radeon 4870X2 w. 2 Gb DDR5 ram (tore off the stock fan (and the warranty) and equipped it with a cooling block from EK Water Blocks, Slovenia)

Samsung 30" SyncMaster 305T+

Running Vista Ultimate 64bit

Various peripherals: Wacom tablet, Microsoft LiveCam, Microsoft Multimedia Keyboard, Microsoft 5 button mouse (very old), Saitek X52 Pro flight stick, various external HDD and USB sticks, old 5.1 Speaker/Amplifier set from Creative. The latter is probably the only part I intend to replace in the near future with some nice 7.1 surround set.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

After some upgrades this is my new rig.

Asus P5Q Pro Motherboard (onboard Realtek HD audio)

Intel Core2Duo 8400 3.0 Ghz

2 GB Corsair DDR3 RAM

ATI 4870 1GB DDR5

250 GB Maxtor HDD (will be upgraded to a 1TB SATA in january)

19" ACER 1951 LCD (max resolution is 1280*1024 but I actually like that)

Logitech MX 700 Mouse and wireless keyboard.

Altec Lansing 2.1 speaker system (somewhat old, but a really realiable setup with great sound)

XP Pro 32bit

Fortune favors the bald.

Actually I have GTA IV and I'm running it quite decently.. I play the game at 1280x1024 with settings on high and I only experience minor lag when there's explosions, shootings and about a dusin police officers after me (at the same time mind you)..

The biggest problem is bugs however - I had one that caused the game to go double speed (still not lagging) and then the patch came and fixed that, only to introduce a new bug - no sounds.. so I still can't play any missions, but I can run around and cause havoc.

Fortune favors the bald.

<snip general specs in the interest of space>

holy shemoligans. nice rig. what's up with the ATI gfx card, however? :)

so what do you think of this monitor? i have a syncmaster 21T at home (i think that's what it is) that i really like. for $1000 at newegg i hope it's worth it. of course, 72 out of 89 reviews give it a 5 out of 5.

i recently switched my office one to a 24" dell widescreen POS. i can't get the colors right. grrr. i'm tempted to switch back to my original 4by3 monitor.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

holy shemoligans. nice rig. what's up with the ATI gfx card, however? :)

Uhh. whats up? :ermm:

My only problem with the card was that it sounded like 737 taking off when I put a bit of stress on it. In the current setup, I can't hear it at all. It *does* generate a lot of heat though. When I put my cpu under full load (all 4 cores), I can't feel much of a difference on the radiator. If I try to run The Witcher (giving the gfx card something to do), I can keep a cup of coffee warm on top of the radiator :)

It does perform very nicely though and surprisingly few compatibility issues. The few things I've had with older games could be either that or Vista.

so what do you think of this monitor? i have a syncmaster 21T at home (i think that's what it is) that i really like. for $1000 at newegg i hope it's worth it. of course, 72 out of 89 reviews give it a 5 out of 5.

So far, it has been a good value for money thing. I have an aversion against widescreen for computer monitors, but there was just no getting a 4x3 in this size range :(

Just like the gfx card, it does generate quite a lot of heat, but I get colour ranges that I didn't get on my 19" samsung. Particularly noticeable on a couple of websites that use pale/pastel like colours, where you can suddenly spot the texture and subtle gradients :)

sorry, taks<-nvidia fan. :blink:

hmmm. i'm going to upgrade my home monitor soon though i'm waiting for prices to come down before doing it. since 4x3 is my preferred aspect (for a computer) as well, i need something big to get the same feel in a 16x10 (or 16x9). as you note, 4x3 in anything even remotely close just don't exist. i'm guessing 4x3 is a goner in general within a couple years. sigh.

i have a buddy that did a 35" 4x3 CRT monitor back before monitors that large were affordable, like in 1996. he dropped a bundle on it, but it looked good (the only furniture in his living room, actually). :lol:

taks

comrade taks... just because.

i have a buddy that did a 35" 4x3 CRT monitor back before monitors that large were affordable, like in 1996. he dropped a bundle on it, but it looked good (the only furniture in his living room, actually). :blink:

That lucky bastard :lol:

I used to be a Matrox fan until they gave up competing with Nvidia and ATI on the 3D high performance market. Still the darn best image quality I've seen on a computer screen though. I've had two Matrox cards, one Nividia and now one ATI card. I've been happy with all of them so far.

I just ordered a new computer for my dad thanks to a couple boxing day deals.

Coolermaster Centurion 590

Seasonic M12 600W ($50 after rebate! $100 off regular)

Gigabyte EP43-DS3L

Intel Core 2 E8400

4GB (2x2) Mushkin PC-6400 DDR2 (CL5-4-4-12)

HIS Radeon HD 4870 ($220! $90 off regular)

Seagate 1.5TB HDD ($140! $70 off regular)

He actually ordered the 4870 for me. It's going to be swapped out with my 4850 which will go in his computer since he really doesn't need the extra power, but it was just too good of a deal to pass up. Ordered the PSU and HDD separately because they were limited stock items, then went searching for the rest with him. The Seasonic was a damn good deal. I was going to grab one myself, but they ran out of surprise special stock before I got my dad's second order (everything but the PSU and HDD) through.