POST YOUR SPECS

Bokishi

Yeah, I made a typo it is 3.2 GHz, the skulltrail and the third 280 are in the air so I just assumed it would work. :rolleyes:

In 7th grade, I teach the students how Chuck Norris took down the Roman Empire, so it is good that you are starting early on this curriculum.

R.I.P. KOTOR 2003-2008 KILLED BY THOSE GREEDY MONEY-HOARDING ************* AND THEIR *****-*** MMOS

Your price performance is completely off. Why get a skulltrail paying double the price of everything on the market and only getting a fraction of a benefit. You've just spend well over a grand for 5 extra FPS. If you were pimp then you would just overclock with water and good machine and get the same results. While still taking your girlfriend out on a cruise on the Carnival ship. :shrugz:

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Summer Specs

Wolfdale e8400 @ 3.8 GHz

EVGA nForce 680i

3x EVGA 8800 GTX Tri-SLI

8GB OCZ nVidia SLI DDR2 800

Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty

150GB RaptorX

2x 1TB Hitachi Deskstars (2TB Total)

1.2kw SilverStone Decathlon

CoolerMaster Stacker 830

30" Dell 3007WFP-HC

Windows Vista x64 SP1

My new computer that I built is up and running. Here is what it is.

ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard set up for Crossfire.

DIAMOND Viper Radeon HD 3870 I'll get the second one later and set it up in Crossfire.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz

2GB CORSAIR XMS2 DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Memory.

Creative Sound Blaster Fatal1ty X-Fi Xtreme Gamer sound card.

Apevia 750W power supply.

Samsung DVD Writer.

Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA hard drive.

Zalman heatsink and fan for the CPU.

Antec 900 case.

Windows XP Pro.

I love the motherboard. It lets you over clock devices in the BIOS very easy.

Thought I would upload some pictures of it.

Out of slight curiosity (and a pinch of jealous animosity) how much did that bling-bling cost you, Luc?

manthing2.jpg

Somewhere between $1100 and $1500. Newegg is good with discounts and rebates. Some of the hardware I bought near where I live which was cheaper than Newegg, but mostly what I bought came from them.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

built a new rig this monday,

Q9450 (oc'd to 3.2 ghz)

8gig ram (ddr2 1066)

HD4870

Finally getting around to playing STALKER and World in Conflict this week.

PS - I grabbed a Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 mobo. It's a beautiful board, had plenty of room for everything. Posted on the first run. I love it long time.

Edited by Grizz

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the parts for my budget rig are here. I got some pretty awesome deals on the Mobo+CPU otherwise I wouldn't have been able to afford this much after I paid off (my contribution towards) my tuition for this year. Will post pictures after I get it all set up on the weekend.

Asus M2A-VM

AMD 5000+ Black Edition

Xigmatek HDT-S1283 Heatsink

4GB OCZ PC-6400 RAM

Diamond Radeon 4850

Corsair 450VX PSU

WD 320GB Hard Drive (Arrives thursday)

Coolermaster CM 690 (picking up on saturday)

Edited by Deraldin

Pictures! I really need to get a new DVD drive. Preferably a black SATA one so I can remove the stupid IDE cable and it won't stand out so much on the outside. It's so nice having USB 2.0 finally. Took nearly 14 hours backup all my stuff from the old computer to an external drive and on 30 minutes to put it back on the new one.

computer1on0.th.jpgcomputer4nl2.th.jpgcomputer7gq6.th.jpg

Edited by Deraldin

Took nearly 14 hours backup all my stuff from the old computer to an external drive and on 30 minutes to put it back on the new one.

That has a familiar ring to it :ermm:

Congratulations with your new computer :p

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Took nearly 14 hours backup all my stuff from the old computer to an external drive and on 30 minutes to put it back on the new one.

That has a familiar ring to it :lol:

Congratulations with your new computer :ermm:

I'm just glad I didn't have to back up my music collection as well! Had to do that recently already when my MP3 player crapped out on me and I had to restore to wipe it clean.

Yay Deraldin, nice rig!

It's so nice being able to run more than one thing at a time. I can actually run SupCom without it slowing down to -10 speed and still only getting 2FPS. I still need to get some new games to really try out the new graphics card. Maybe I'll finally buy CoD4.

Also have an Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev2 for the 4850. I'm going to run with the stock cooler for a couple weeks before I void the warranty on the most expensive component in the system. Oddly enough, the new rig with 6 120MM fans is actually quieter than my old rig. The PSU on that thing was pretty loud. :ermm:

My little brother is getting the old computer as his first system once we grab a new monitor for it.

Also have an Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev2 for the 4850. I'm going to run with the stock cooler for a couple weeks before I void the warranty on the most expensive component in the system.
Just make sure that red plate contacting the Ram etc. is not removed. Said to prevent a lot of hassles...

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Also have an Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev2 for the 4850. I'm going to run with the stock cooler for a couple weeks before I void the warranty on the most expensive component in the system.
Just make sure that red plate contacting the Ram etc. is not removed. Said to prevent a lot of hassles...

Thanks for the heads up. Will do! :ermm:

I have a 4850 and it runs very hot, but it\s rated to be hot, no artifacts although I actually burned my skin on it while installing a soundcard. When I get the other one for crossfire I might consider doing that, as well as putting another case fan in near the cards.

Although messing around with tiny components on a circuit board with a screwdriver, that sounds pretty terrifying.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

This is my budget system from the long running build thread.

Processor

Core 2 Duo 3 Ghz . E8400 6 MB

Board.

Asus Maximus Formula, republic of gamers edition.

Ram

2x 2048 MB Dual Mushkin Xtreme. DUAL RAM / DDR II SDRAM / PC2-8500CL5 / 1066 MHz

GFX

Saphire HD 4850

Sound

Soundmax extreme fx, this is from the makers of the pretty unimpressive onboard solutions, but this particular card is quite excellent, comparable to much more expensive name brand cards.

HDD

Samsung SpinPoint T166 - 750 mb

CD/R

SalvagedIDE

PSU& Case

Atech P190

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

I have a 4850 and it runs very hot, but it\s rated to be hot, no artifacts although I actually burned my skin on it while installing a soundcard. When I get the other one for crossfire I might consider doing that, as well as putting another case fan in near the cards.

Although messing around with tiny components on a circuit board with a screwdriver, that sounds pretty terrifying.

It does get really hot. I've been doing some testing today. Went to remove some ram and was surprised at just how hot the card was getting. It's not so bad when I have the side of the case on and it has a 120mm fan blowing right on it, but once you remove that fan it heats up quick.

I've been getting a fair bit of artifacting in a couple games (Mass Effect, Space Siege Demo in certain areas) and I'm in the middle of checking everything over. Ran memtest last night for starters and got a couple errors 3 hours into the test. Retested with just the one stick and got some more errors, again on the second pass. Swapped out the two sticks and got some huge number of errors on the second stick. Graphics card is the next component to test.

This is my budget system from the long running build thread.

Processor

Core 2 Duo 3 Ghz . E8400 6 MB

Board.

Asus Maximus Formula, republic of gamers edition.

Ram

2x 2048 MB Dual Mushkin Xtreme. DUAL RAM / DDR II SDRAM / PC2-8500CL5 / 1066 MHz

GFX

Saphire HD 4850

Sound

Soundmax extreme fx, this is from the makers of the pretty unimpressive onboard solutions, but this particular card is quite excellent, comparable to much more expensive name brand cards.

HDD

Samsung SpinPoint T166 - 750 mb

CD/R

SalvagedIDE

PSU& Case

Atech P190

How much was your budget?

manthing2.jpg

Tip of the Day: Don't run Vista with only 512MB of ram.

Figured out the ram sticks were bad by swapping in a 512 stick and testing that. It came up clean so I shouldn't be the motherboard. Need to RMA the memory. Still need to see if my graphics card it what is causing all the artifacts.

Tip of the Day: Don't run Vista with only 512MB of ram.

Figured out the ram sticks were bad by swapping in a 512 stick and testing that. It came up clean so I shouldn't be the motherboard. Need to RMA the memory. Still need to see if my graphics card it what is causing all the artifacts.

I have gotten 2 blue screens of death in reference to an ati.something something file. That kind of thing is almost invariably driver or bios related wouldn't you say. I'm going to install vista and run on it a while to see if it re occurs.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got my graphics card and RAM back from the RMA. RAM now passes memtest86 with no errors and I'm not getting any graphical artifacts in games anymore! Awesome!

Just one small problem. Inside the box for the graphics card was a scratch and win card. I won 30% off any Diamond product. You would not believe how incredibly tempting a 4870 X2 is at $400. Unfortunately I don't have the money for that and I'd have to grab a beefier PSU to support it. :thumbsup: