POST YOUR SPECS

Bokishi

I dunno man, also there's lots of stuff in my system that's not bleeding edge anymore, such as that I still only have a dual core, and I lack 3-way SLI ultras. That's totally not bleeding edge :)

Well, if you play on ditching the GTX's for some Ultras (Or 3-way SLI'd GT/GTS512's) I know someone that could use the GTX's. Come to think of it, if you want to go for that quad core, I think the same person could use your dual core. :p

I dunno man, also there's lots of stuff in my system that's not bleeding edge anymore, such as that I still only have a dual core, and I lack 3-way SLI ultras. That's totally not bleeding edge :(

Speaking of bleeding edge Bok, whats going on with the new spec PCIE 2.0?

I've been trying to follow it, but so far the news is depressing to me and my motherboard. I have a Asus Commando P965 just bought early this year. It has a PCIE 16X and a PCIE 4X that can run Crossfire. I don't care to run dual video cards ever.

Now the new PCIE Version 2.0 is compatible with PCIE version 1.1, but not 1.0. So my question is, is my 9 month "old" motherboard outdated, and wont be compatible with the new graphic cards coming out in February? Maybe my motherboard is PCIE 1.1, but i don't see any version number anywhere on the web yet. Or maybe they will give a miracle BIOS update. I know Bearlake is compatible.

Warning, I might make a rant soon if I find out my motherboard is going the way of the Dodo.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

PCI-E 2.0 has 2X the Bandwidth and 2X the direct power to video cards that regular PCI-E 1.0 has. Im trying to find a motherboard with PCI-E 1.1a, but i can't find one. It seems like its an urban myth to me, because from what i gather the P965 Intel chipset has 1.0. Im not sure about the 680i, but that came out the same time as my motherboard the Asus Commando P965 Chipset.

We might be in the clear if we have 1.1a it will be at least compatible with half the bandwidth.

My speculation from reading on the topic is:

1.0 will run 1 2.0 GPU, but not 2 GPU on crossfire. But will only have 8gb bandwidth.

1.1a Will run 1-2 Gpu's. But will only have the 8gb bandwidth.

2.0 Will run 1-2 GPU's. Will run at 16gb bandwidth.

But I haven't found a good source yet. I emailed Asus on the topic, and will share the email sometime next week.

Myspace Website!

My rig

Intel Core 2 Quad 6600

4 GB DDR2 RAM

Inno3D nVidia 8800GT 512MB RAM

Abit Ab9 Pro

Auzentech 7.1 Prelude (with Dolby Digital 5.1 Live and DTS Connect)

17" Acer LCD monitor

250 Gb + 500 GB SATA HDD

Did some upgrades with my christmas-money o:)

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Athlon XP 3000+, about 2.2ghz

512mb DDR RAM

GeForce 4 Ti 4800 SE 128mb RAM

1 Terabyte of HD space

Not bad for $350 (excludes HD space)

Still, I plan to upgrade very soon as I can't play NWN2 or Oblivion (and presumably can't play Bioshock). Can play HL2 very well though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Notebook:

Intel Pentium 4 3.6 GHz (Hyperthreaded)

2.5GB RAM

80GB HDD

Nvidia GeForce 6800 Ultra with 256MB VRAM

Laptop:

Intel Core 2 Duo 1.4 GHz

2GB RAM

160GB HDD

Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB VRAM

Desktop (planned):

Pentium Core 2 Duo 3.X+ GHz

3-4GB RAM

160+GB HDD

Nvidia GeForce 9X00

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Sheesh... my poor old computer is embarrassed :blush10:

2.8Ghz Pentium 4 (HT)

Asus P4B800 Deluxe board

2Gb memory

Nvidia FX5900 Ultra gfx card with 256mb memory

Sb Audigy 2 (5+1) sound card

Old noisy no-name cabinet

380 Gb hd space (mix of old Maxtor, Seagate and other drives).

Samsung Syncmaster 940N 17" monitor

Various peripherals (Joystick, Wacom tablet, headset, surround speaker set, microsoft webcam etc.).

I should probably have upgraded a year or two ago, but now I am waiting for the intel nehalm to show it's face. I would hate to spend a fortune on somthing that is obsolete in 6-9 months.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

2.8Ghz Pentium 4 (HT)

Asus P4B800 Deluxe board

2Gb memory

Nvidia FX5900 Ultra gfx card with 256mb memory

Sb Audigy 2 (5+1) sound card

Old noisy no-name cabinet

380 Gb hd space (mix of old Maxtor, Seagate and other drives).

Samsung Syncmaster 940N 17" monitor

Various peripherals (Joystick, Wacom tablet, headset, surround speaker set, microsoft webcam etc.).

I should probably have upgraded a year or two ago, but now I am waiting for the intel nehalm to show it's face. I would hate to spend a fortune on somthing that is obsolete in 6-9 months.

It's really not that bad. I know something that will make you feel much better about your computer. Take a look.

Also, if you don't want something that will be obsolete in 6-9 months then why are you planning on buying a computer? :thumbsup:

It's really not that bad. I know something that will make you feel much better about your computer. Take a look.

Also, if you don't want something that will be obsolete in 6-9 months then why are you planning on buying a computer? :thumbsup:

Wow, I feel better already! :o

Well, I like to think that my above mentioned pc actually did quite well for a number of years (about 4.5 years?). I would like my next investment to also last a bit.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

<snip old computer specs

Also, if you don't want something that will be obsolete in 6-9 months then why are you planning on buying a computer? :o

Wow, I feel better already! :o

Well, I like to think that my above mentioned pc actually did quite well for a number of years (about 4.5 years?). I would like my next investment to also last a bit.

I told you it would work! :thumbsup:

Heh, mine will be 6 years old this October. It's run everything I've wanted it to until the past 6 months. Just because it's obsolete, doesn't mean that it doesn't work. :D

I know what you mean, that's why I'm waiting on the desktop - although I did have to buy a lighter laptop to carry around campus (It's a Dell Vostro 1500 and it was under $800, so that seemed like a good deal; although I'm now having second thoughts about the CPU speed - it's fairly low for a PC that I would want to play some games on in between classes.).

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

You can always upgrade later when the stuff is lower priced. I just make sure my motherboard is upgradeable. what to look for when buying a motherboard now is PCI-E 2.0 1600FSB compatible. The X38 and the X48 have them. I believe their compatible with Nehalem.

Myspace Website!

My rig

• 2 weeks later...
You can always upgrade later when the stuff is lower priced. I just make sure my motherboard is upgradeable. what to look for when buying a motherboard now is PCI-E 2.0 1600FSB compatible. The X38 and the X48 have them. I believe their compatible with Nehalem.

They should be, but I just read that having an LGA 775 socket doesn't guarantee you can upgrade your Penryn to a Nehalem. Can't find the link right now...

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

They should be, but I just read that having an LGA 775 socket doesn't guarantee you can upgrade your Penryn to a Nehalem. Can't find the link right now...

Isn't the Nehalem going to use a 715 socket?

CM Stacker 830 Evo

EVGA nForce 680i

Core 2 Duo e6600 @ 3.4 Ghz

4 GB Corsair Dominator @ 800 MHz

2x EVGA 8800 GTX SLI @ stock

SB X-Fi Platinum

WD RaptorX 150GB (OS and Games)

Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Storage)

CM Real Power Pro 850w

Windows Vista x64

Razer Tarantula Keyboard

Razer Lachesis 4000dpi Laser Mouse

Dell 30" 3007WFP HC

*new stuff in bold

Edited by Bokishi

Update

Gigabyte 3D Aurora 570 Case

Asus Commando 965P Mobo(I know i know, i changed my mind alot on the motherboard)

E6600 C2D CPU

two Western Digital Sata 400gig Hard drives

2gig OCZ Gold XTC 6400 800mhz ram

XFX 8800GT 512 Alpha Dog

Creative Xtreme Gamer sound card

G5 Logitech Mouse

Saitek Eclipse Keyboard

Myspace Website!

My rig