POST YOUR SPECS

Bokishi

I love the way all my fellow 6800 owners pimp out their card to the max like there's no tommorow.  :D

Hell, it's still a good card.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I love the way all my fellow 6800 owners pimp out their card to the max like there's no tommorow.  :D

technically, i'd also have to speed up the DACs and memory to have TRUE ultra performance. however, doing so is not good for the card's expected life and the difference is minimal. the primary boost in performance comes from the added pipes, which are easy to turn on and don't (shouldn't) really hurt anything.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Instead of what I posted in the upgrade thread, I went and got an XFX Geforce 7600GT, much to the dismay of my bank account. Feel the budgety power of my 375

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

That system gives me 45 frames per second in Oblivion with HDR on plus those nifty texture mods. That's all I need. :o

Heja Sverige!!

:)

That system gives me 45 frames per second in Oblivion with HDR on plus those nifty texture mods. That's all I need. :)

I've heard that processors have less of a throttling effect on graphics cards nowadays, anyway.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

:)

Graphics cards seem to be the bottleneck almost regardless.

Huh? Seem to be the bottleneck or cause the bottleneck?

Actually, it will depend from game to game.

Far Cry, for example, saw about a 3 fps increase after the processor upgrade + tripling the RAM (1.5 GB). Clearly it's more GPU-based, and the X700 is but only decent for it if it's on full. CSS and JKA both saw right about 150% increase (60 to 90 and 100 to 150, resp.). Also I can now play Dantooine on KOTOR I/II without disabling vertex buffer objects and still get a decent 20 fps, as oppose to about 5. :lol:

Errr..., that's not a 150% percent increase, it's a 50% increase. Still great, of course.

Heja Sverige!!

I was saying graphics cards are the bottleneck regardless of CPU, particularly in today's graphic intensive games.

Not surprisingly, the older games listed two posts above saw improvement since they aren't as graphically intense and don't choke the card. Hence, CPU improvements make more of an impact.

Actually, in games like Civilization 4, Rise & Fall and the like, the CPU can severely bottleneck the system, long before the GPU reaches its limit. Well, unless you have a really weak GPU and insist on using only 2560x1920 or something :-)

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

My card gave me a huge boost on Civ 4. Before it I could, forget about playing Civ on huge or even large maps, and on standard maps things could chug quite a bit. Now, all runs fine with everything cranked up.

Heja Sverige!!

Actually, in games like Civilization 4, Rise & Fall and the like, the CPU can severely bottleneck the system, long before the GPU reaches its limit. Well, unless you have a really weak GPU and insist on using only 2560x1920 or something :wacko:)

Fair enough, there are exceptions.

Civ4 doesn't fall into the "OMGOMGOMGOMG Graf1XXxes" school of design.

Still, that CPU dependency only really comes when you click End Turn doesn't it. I wonder if the HDD is more of a bottleneck in that case.

• 2 weeks later...
SD37P2 INTEL CORE 2 Duo SHUTTLE XPC

Intel Core 2 Duo Dual Core E6600 2.4GHz, 4MB 1066FSB Boxed Processor (Conroe - 65nm)

2X1024MB OCZ DDR2 PC2-5400 Special Ops Edition - OCZ2SOE6672GK

Thermaltake 50cm UV Reactive SATA Cable - Green

Seagate 120 GB (7200) 8MB Cache - Barracuda 7200.9 NCQ SATA2

MITSUMI 1.44 Internal 3.5" Floppy Drive & 6 in 1 USB2.0 Flash Reader (Black)

Lite-On 165H6S Dual Layer Lightscribe 16X DVD+RW/-RW X48 CDRW (Black)

XFX GeForce 7950 GX2 (Quad SLI) Extreme Edition PCI-E 1GB DDR3 DUAL DVI-I HDTV

I-Rocks XSlim w/Backlights - Black

Windows XP Professional

Logitech MX1000

Well thanks to everyone for their help - heres the new rig. Delivery next week and then back to HL2 and general gaming.

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

I thought you were gettin an XTX :x

I spent a lot of time online last night researching that ... and it seemed to me (in regard to future-proofing) that the GX2 made more sense. Most issues (in the thread to which you linked) has a work around and most new games (especially intensive ones are being coded for dual core/SLI style set-ups). So hiccups may be there, but there seems to be enough inertia to address them that it seemed to make sense.

The universe is change;
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

Oh great! This will be like the second computer you've purchased since I bought mine. Go on! Show off your massive ammounts of money by buying another computer. See if I care! :'(

Edited by Deraldin

Oh great! This will be like the second computer you've purchased since I bought mine. Go on! Show off your massive ammounts of money by buying another computer. See if I care! :'(

Hey it's been three years (well not including the notebook) :x

The universe is change;
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

Hey it's been three years (well not including the notebook) ;)

I'm still running on the computer that I purchase 4 years ago this October. In that time, I've added a sound card, swapped the video card once (W00T! Go 9600 Pro! :x), swapped the hard drive (30GB>160GB) and swapped the CD-RW for a DVD Combo drive.

All the computers (or rather almost all) in this thread make my computer cry. :'(

I'm still running on the computer that I purchase 4 years ago this October. In that time, I've added a sound card, swapped the video card once (W00T! Go 9600 Pro! :(), swapped the hard drive (30GB>160GB) and swapped the CD-RW for a DVD Combo drive.

All the computers (or rather almost all) in this thread make my computer cry. :'(

:D If it makes you feel any better, I'd still using a P3 550 Mhz as my internet computer. It's 6-7 years old and a piece of crap. I'm about to put a bullet into it and rebuild it to a 3000+ ( old parts left over from another rebuild ). Much as it's been a continuing frustration, I've learned a lot by limping this turd by over the years.

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

Solid middle of the road, but stability>cutting edge always for my main machine. This thing runs from 6 a.m. to midnight every day--and I hate paying the electricity company any more than I have to. :ermm:

Coolermaster mid with filtered mesh front panel and TT 430-watt PS

Athlon64 3500+ w/TT silent heat-pipe/fan

Asus A8N5X

2 x 512 Corsair XMS

0dB 7600GT 'skyscraper'

M-Audio Revolution 7.1 with Monsoon planar MH-505's

Logitech Lazer M1000

Northgate Omnikey 102 (circa-1992?)

Pioneer + Plextor DVD-RW's

Pair of WD200 gb IDE's; 1 x WD 250 gb SATA; external USB WD200gb 'just in case'

WinXP Pro

19" Samtron CRT; APC 700w UPS

System draws 172 watts (including monitor) and idles air-cooled at 34C o/c, video 51C; has run everything I've thrown at it and never broke a sweat.