POST YOUR SPECS

Bokishi

The reason why it outperforms at higher resolutions is because it has enough fillrate and power to make graphics less of a "bottleneck." If it's not winning at lower resolutions, it's because something else is the bottleneck.

Unless the game has capped the framerate.

I just dont think that two slower GPU's can outperform a single, faster one at low resolutions. The 7900GTX is actually faster than the GX2 at 1024x768 and lower

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

What exactly does the nVidia "SLI" do?

Back in the old days, the Voodoo 2 SLI kicked the crap out of any single Voodoo2 at any resolution.

I imagine nVidia's isn't the old style Scan Line Interleave, as video cards have so much more to do than just render textures now-a-days. It makes no sense why two cards would perform slower than a single one, unless there implementation philosophy is different, or the product just isn't running optimally.

Bandwidth limitations? Though it's not like the old PCI bus that the Voodoo2s ran in were super fast either...

Dunno... dual cards have got to have *some* overheads somewhere that show up when both GPUs are not being fully utilized... that's probably when the sheer speed of one GTX trumps the massive width of the two cards. One scenario I can imagine involves memory latency: the GTX's memory is much higher clocked than the GX2's. So, if mem bandwidth is not getting hammered, then perhaps the GTX's lower latency yields benefits somewhere.

Dunno... dual cards have got to have *some* overheads somewhere that show up when both GPUs are not being fully utilized... that's probably when the sheer speed of one GTX trumps the massive width of the two cards. One scenario I can imagine involves memory latency: the GTX's memory is much higher clocked than the GX2's. So, if mem bandwidth is not getting hammered, then perhaps the GTX's lower latency yields benefits somewhere.

Fortunately memory can be overclocked. I have my 6800XT OC'd to 800 Mhz, so I could hazard a guess as to what the GX2's can be clocked to. I'd be curious to know what results that would yield.

manthing2.jpg

Fortunately memory can be overclocked. I have my 6800XT OC'd to 800 Mhz, so I could hazard a guess as to what the GX2's can be clocked to.  I'd be curious to know what results that would yield.

Well, that's just a 100MHz overclock. A GTX's memory runs at 1600MHz while a GX2's runs at 1200MHz. The cooling on a GX2 is a joke. I doubt either its core or its memory would survive any amount of overclocking. The card was designed from the start to be a slightly slow but gargantuan monster, while the GTX is more of a lean and mean machine. :)

But then, as benchmarks show, the GX2 almost always trounces the GTX in most real-world situations. What would be interesting is a comparison between Quad-SLI GX2's (once the drivers are mature enough) and a pair of SLI'd GTX's. I have a strong suspicion the GTX's will win.

Well this would make sense, as you've started to change other variables.

How much more do you think I can OC my card before it gets "too hot to handle," Angs?

If you have a decent heatsink on your memory modules, you could probably try and take it up to 900, but I don't think I'm the right person to answer that question... I have little to no experience overclocking video RAM. What I meant by the "just 100MHz" in my previous post was that it was a small overclock compared to what you would have to achieve to get the GX2 up to the GTX's clock speed (+400MHz). In fact, 100MHz actually sounds like a nice overclock for 700MHz modules.

Current specs:

AMD Sempron 3000+ 2.0 ghz

512 MB DDR333

ASUS A7V8X-LA, socket A, 2 GB max (333), AGP 8x/4x, generic cooling fan + HS, 250 W PSU

256 MB ATI X700 Pro AGP 8X

120 GB Samsung + 40 GB Maxtor

DVD-RW 16x, DL

Pending specs (hardware is en route):

AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 2.4 ghz (estimated OCable @ 2880 MHz)

1 GB DDR 400 Corsair ValueSelect

Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M, Socket 754, 2GB max (400), AGP 8x/4x, Arctic Cooling freezer fan + HS 40 CFM, 300 W PSU w/+3.3@18A,+5V@18A,+12V1@8A,+12V2@14.5A,-12V@0.5A,+5VSB@2.0A

256 MB ATI X700 Pro AGP 8X

120 GB Samsung + 40 GB Maxtor

DVD-RW 16x, DL

Upgrade price $297.90.

Laptop (rofl, 6fps on kotor I/II):

--Microsoft

Edited by Tuerkek

Sunbeam Transformer IC-TR-B Blue Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case with one 120mm fan and four 80mm fans

SeaSonic S12-600 ATX12V 600W Power Supply

ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED 92mm 2 Ball Blue LED Light Cooling Fan with Heatsink

Logitech Z-2300 200 watts RMS 2.1 Speaker

ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce SPP 100 ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo 2000MHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA4400CDBOX

ASUS 16X DVD

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Computer Case with one 120mm fan and four 80mm fans

Do you wear earplugs when youre computing? ;)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I took a look at your case and I dont think you would need more than your 120mm fan set as exhaust together with the fan in your PSU. At most you could have an intake fan in front of your hardrive bay if you wanted extra cooling but the two fans in the side and the one at the top are completely redundant.

Sunbeam Transformer IC-TR-B Blue Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case with one 120mm fan and four 80mm fans

SeaSonic S12-600 ATX12V 600W Power Supply

ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED 92mm 2 Ball Blue LED Light Cooling Fan with Heatsink

Logitech Z-2300 200 watts RMS 2.1 Speaker

ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce SPP 100 ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo 2000MHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA4400CDBOX

ASUS 16X DVD

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Ok, I'll participate.

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.21 GHz

2 GB of RAM

2 GeForce 6800GS 256MB cards in SLI

250 GB HDD

24bit SBLive

2 DVD drives (one burner)

19" Flat Panel LCD monitor

Runs the latest games with all the bells and whistles at great FPS at medium resolutions.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

You know Arkan, you would have had more GPU power for less cost if you had gone with a 512mb model of the 7800GTX instead.  Too bad you got duped into SLI.  :thumbsup:

Eh, it was BOGO.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I am pretty much waiting for the Direct X 10 video cards to be released before updating but which is more powerful, the GeForce 7600 or the Radeon X1600?

I'm waiting til the after christmas deals, myself.

inside of an antec server tower (tru 380 supply)

asus a8v deluxe mobo

amd athlon 64 3200+

2x512 MB OCZ high performance RAM

nvidia 6800 GT... extra pipes turned on for an ultra equivalent (not all can do this)

western digital 40 GB sata (7200 rpm)

plextor cdrw

samsung dvdrw

audigy 2 zs

logitec 5.1 speakers

dell 19" monitor (actually pretty nice)

on the way:

seagate 3250620AS 3.0 gb/s 250 GB sata drive (not sure if the mobo can do it)

linux fedora core 5 (downloaded, on CD, awaiting new drive)

soon on the way:

amd 64 x2 4800+

more memory

taks

comrade taks... just because.