POST YOUR SPECS

Bokishi

Well for watching movies filmed in 2.35:1 it's perfect. :p It's a niche product to be sure, but it has its uses. It's also probably a bit more appealing if you've already settled for just having the one screen.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

• 3 weeks later...

Just Updating:

My new Gaming PC:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0Ghz Octa Core
RAM: 8GB DDR3 Kingston Fury Red (2x4GB ) 1600MHz
MB: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P (AM3+)
HD: 1TB
GPU: Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290 (4GB GDDR5) Tri-X OC (1030 MHz Core Clock) ***New***
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus

And a Pic (It's a bit blurred, but is what I have in hand :p):

12501_862892267062511_902437651757919682

What do you guys think?

Edited by RodWarrior

It should serve you well for years to come.  The R9 290 is a beast and I doubt your CPU will bottleneck it (very rarely at most).  Also, you did a splendid yob keeping your cables tidy.  I tried my best and couldn't get my cables anywhere near as tidy, granted I have more cables to deal with.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I agree with Keyrock, nice one and should work well for quite a while :) Also, I commend you for your noise tolerance - that's a stock cooler on the FX, isn't it?

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Thanks, Guys! The cable management is that good because of the case, actually. Hahaha

@samm, yes it is!

I have plans of installing a Water Cooler in the near future (After I buy an SSD).

But, to be honest, the noise really doesn't botter me that much, 'cause my old Core 2 Quad + GeForce 8600GT was actually louder than this pc!

Edited by RodWarrior

Update. Bought another video card for Crossfire.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150

GPU: 2 ATi Radeon XFX R9 270X

RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866

MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming LGA 1150 Intel Z87

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

• 4 weeks later...

Update. Bought another video card for Crossfire.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150

GPU: 2 ATi Radeon XFX R9 270X

RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866

MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming LGA 1150 Intel Z87

How is the power consumption of that? I was thinking about doing crossfire with my 280x.

Fortune favors the bald.

The 270 requires at least 500W power supply. I have a 850W and using these two cards with the other hardware hasn't been a problem. Their fans are nice and quiet so that is a plus. I haven't seen a noticeable increase in my electric bill either.

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

Given that a 270X only draws...what, 150W at max? ...I kind of doubt the "minimum" power supply needed is 500W...you could probably get away with 400W. That is, if there were any decent 400W power supplies to begin with - seems like all good consumer grade power supplies start at 500W, at least for brands found in the U.S.

850W is surely a bit overkill for two.

(e:) I was slightly mistaken - the 270X can consume up to about 180W, not 150W. So I guess the minimum would be around 450W...at which point it might as well be 500W. :p

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Asus M2A-VM

AMD 5000+ Black Edition OC @ 3.0Ghz

Xigmatek HDT-S1283 Heatsink

4GB Corsair PC-6400 RAM

Powercolor R9 270

Corsair 450VX PSU

OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD

WD Black 320GB + 1TB HDD

Coolermaster CM 690

BenQ 24" G2400WD LCD

LG IPS231 23" LCD

Been awhile since I've had any reason to update this. Finally got fed up with my old graphics card and replaced it. Found a great deal on a 270 so I pulled the trigger on that. Don't think I had the secondary monitor listed last time event though it should have been. That CPU is going to bottleneck the whole thing, but not much I can do about that right now.

AMD FX-8350 with Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 pro Rev2

4GB Kingston hyper X DDR3 1600

250 + 500GB WD HDDs

Corsair VS 650

Gigabyte 990XA UD3

AMD HD7770 1GB 

LG LED 22M35

• Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Been awhile since I've had any reason to update this. Finally got fed up with my old graphics card and replaced it. Found a great deal on a 270 so I pulled the trigger on that. Don't think I had the secondary monitor listed last time event though it should have been. That CPU is going to bottleneck the whole thing, but not much I can do about that right now.

Hm, nothing's easier than pushing a GPU to its limits ;) Just crank up all the graphics options in a game, apply supersampling / use higher resolution than your screen provides ("downsampling") etc., until your fps begin to sink - from that point, it's your GPU that bottlenecks again, and thus you have found a setting for the game in question where the visuals are the best they get with the framerate you're having :)

[edit]Anglais...

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Did a small upgrade so I went through the thread to see what I started with back in the day.. It' pretty cool to read the old replies. The specs have doubled, quadrupled even tredecupled (and sometimes much more) over the years..

From

Amd Duron 1800 Ghz
1gb SD Ram
Radeon 9200 128 mb
16x CdRom Writer
and a DVD which doesn't work if there's more than 1 HDD connected.. pinch.gif
Logitech Mouse and Cordless Keyboard
Creative SoundBlaster Live! 5.1
Altec Lansing FX6021 (I use my computer as my stereo so the sound quality must be good)
17" LCD monitor

To

FX 6110 - so that's 6x as many cores (each propably a great deal better than the single core from 06 heh)

16gb DDR3 ram  - 16x more ram and DDR3 instead of 1

AMD r9 280x 3gb DDR5 RAM - So that's 125x more ram for graphics memory (wow)

No DVDs or CDs anymore as everything is done over the internet and with USB for me these days. Going from a 10/4 mbit connection to a 100/100 as well.

Same mouse/keyboard and soundsystem actually - still works great! :D

and now a BenQ 24" screen - to play in delicious 1080p

• Like 2

Fortune favors the bald.

I know, I think it was originally bought in 2001 actually (with a few upgrades a long the way) - I bought a completly new com afterwards, which would probably be better to have used as a comparison heh.

Fortune favors the bald.

• 1 month later...

MSI H81M-P33

Intel Pentium G3258 (OC'd to 4.2Ghz)

Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus

8GB G.Skill Ripjaws

DDR3-1600

Powercolor R9 270

Corsair 450VX PSU

OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD

WD Black 320GB + 1TB HDD

Coolermaster CM 690

BenQ 24" G2400WD LCD

LG IPS231 23" LCD

Oh boy! Only been 6 weeks but I end up getting a couple new items as an early Christmas present. Just in time for Dragon Age. I haven't had much chance yet to really push the CPU to see how high it will go, but under 100% load it sits at 60C so at least thermally it still has more room to go.

Have some weird issues with my SSD right now. For some reason my BIOS keeps setting the HDD boot order so it keeps trying to boot from something other than the SSD and then complaining that Windows won't start right. A couple times when going into the BIOS the drive hasn't shown up for some reason. Figure I'll update the firmware on the drive and see if that solves it.

• Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 3.4GHz (3.8 max turbo)
  • ASRock Z97X Fatal1ty motherboard
  • 16GB ADATA XPG V2 DDR3 2400 (PC-19200)
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 780Ti Superclocked 3GB GDDR5
  • Seagate 600 Series 480GB SATA3 SSD
  • WD 750GB 7200RPM SATA HDD
  • Antec GX500 Mid-Tower
  • Green 27" ITC Lava 2560x1440 monitor
  • Cooler Master Rapid Quick Fire 10-Keyless MX Brown keyboard
  • Kensington Orbit Trackball
  • Microsoft XBox 360 wired controller
  • Thrustmaster Hotas-X Flightstick

There was a sale on the exact RAM I already had, so I scooped up 16 more GB to bring my total up to 32 GB of DDR3 2400 MHz RAM.  Did I need 16 more GB? No.  Will it make a difference?  In most cases, no.  Once in a while when I encode it will make a significant difference but that doesn't really justify the expense.  I got it anyway, because reasons.  :p

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

• 1 month later...

I have 8Gigs of RAM and Inquisitions recommended RAM is 8Gs. I wonder if I should buy another 8. I do notice some slow downs after playing it a while.

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

Bought a gamepad for my computer. http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/f310-gamepad

Why waste money on a Microsoft X-Box pad when this will do the same thing.

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

Bought a gamepad for my computer. http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/f310-gamepad

Why waste money on a Microsoft X-Box pad when this will do the same thing.

It's what I have. The only thing I don't like about it is the position of the left analogue stick...I do miss the 360 controller's location for it.

I actually saw the wired 360 controllers going for $15 on...somewhere recently. I forget where. Probably Amazon or newegg. But...I didn't care enough to get one.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.