Xbox 360 sales going strong

Read what I wrote AGAIN. I did not say that one console was better than the other. (That is YOUR erroneous inference).

WTF?! I never said that. Where the hell did you get that from? You stated that you can't put the two consoles in the same category when comparing their sales figures and I disagree with that. I never implied that you said one console is better than the other, this is about sales figures here, buddy.

I didn't imply that you said otherwise; I was merely making it clear that I do not favour one console over the other. I.e. I am not trying to prove one is "better" than the other.

I understand what you're saying in terms of vehicles but this isn't like that. You're saying the 360 is like a 4wd vehicle and the PS2 is like a compact car. It's like the 360 has more features than the PS2. The only thing different between the two consoles is that one has a better engine than the other, aside from that they both offer the same features...

BOTH systems play DVD/CD games

BOTH systems have online(internet) capabilities

BOTH systems have optional hard drives

BOTH systems play DVD movies

BOTH systems use controllers

BOTH systems connect to your TV via Component, S-Video, or composite.

So, when looking at the SALES FIGURES there's no reason why you can't compare the PS2 to the 360.

The PS2 is JUST a games console.

The XBox 360 is a NEXT GENERATION living room internet interface. It runs Windows XP Media Center 2005. It will plug seemlessly into a Windows network, for streaming multimedia to any conntected devlice (Viiv).

So people who want to have a media PC that plays console games will buy an XBox 360, not a PS2 (unless they also buy a media PC).

When the PS3 is released, it will ALSO be a NEXT GENERATION living room internet interface. In fact, it will (apparently) ship with Linux.

The next gen machines are not just console game stations, they are (hopefully) bridging that precarious gap between geek home-office and lay-person living room.

Apples and oranges.

Any coincidental similarity will not be bourne out as the market matures: it is a false comparison.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

"The PS2 is JUST a games console"

No, it isn't. Unless you are saying that when I watch movies on my PS2, I am playing a game?

WOWSERS! (w00t)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Don't get mad at me when I factual point out your falsehood on the PS2. It isn't 'just' a game machine. That's simply false, and you know it.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Yeah, you guys are sdo right. Aside from just playing games, you can watch movies on PS2, and you can watch movies on the X-Box 360. They are the same! I mean, there are no other features that set the X-Box 360 apart from the PS2, hell, I don't even know why they bothered making any new consoles! Probably just for looks I'd wager.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Yeah, you guys are sdo right.  Aside from just playing games, you can watch movies on PS2, and you can watch movies on the X-Box 360.  They are the same!  I mean, there are no other features that set the X-Box 360 apart from the PS2, hell, I don't even know why they bothered making any new consoles!  Probably just for looks I'd wager.

You forgot teh trembling controllers.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Read what I wrote AGAIN. I did not say that one console was better than the other. (That is YOUR erroneous inference).

WTF?! I never said that. Where the hell did you get that from? You stated that you can't put the two consoles in the same category when comparing their sales figures and I disagree with that. I never implied that you said one console is better than the other, this is about sales figures here, buddy.

I didn't imply that you said otherwise; I was merely making it clear that I do not favour one console over the other. I.e. I am not trying to prove one is "better" than the other.

I understand what you're saying in terms of vehicles but this isn't like that. You're saying the 360 is like a 4wd vehicle and the PS2 is like a compact car. It's like the 360 has more features than the PS2. The only thing different between the two consoles is that one has a better engine than the other, aside from that they both offer the same features...

So, when looking at the SALES FIGURES there's no reason why you can't compare the PS2 to the 360.

The XBox 360 is a NEXT GENERATION living room internet interface. It runs Windows XP Media Center 2005. It will plug seemlessly into a Windows network, for streaming multimedia to any conntected devlice (Viiv).

So people who want to have a media PC that plays console games will buy an XBox 360, not a PS2 (unless they also buy a media PC).

When the PS3 is released, it will ALSO be a NEXT GENERATION living room internet interface. In fact, it will (apparently) ship with Linux.

The next gen machines are not just console game stations, they are (hopefully) bridging that precarious gap between geek home-office and lay-person living room.

Apples and oranges.

Any coincidental similarity will not be bourne out as the market matures: it is a false comparison.

You still don't get it, do you?

Forget it -- I'm tired of repeating myself. My suggestion to you is to actually do a little research on the PS2 before stating that it's ONLY a game console. So far you're the only person here that believes that. :shifty:

Edited by Setzer

Yeah, you guys are sdo right.  Aside from just playing games, you can watch movies on PS2, and you can watch movies on the X-Box 360.  They are the same!  I mean, there are no other features that set the X-Box 360 apart from the PS2, hell, I don't even know why they bothered making any new consoles!  Probably just for looks I'd wager.

If you actually READ the thread the point I'm trying to make here is that the PS2 and 360 have the same features and it's not UNFAIR to compare sales their sales figures.

In case you didn't know, the reason why Microsoft built the 360 was to deliver a console that performed better than the previous generation systems. It has a faster CPU, more memory, better graphics, etc.. Games are now "next gen" because they look prettier. I never said the PS2 had better or comparable hardware to the 360, the 360 was built to perform better and it does just that. The features, though, are still the same. The PS2 is NOT just a game console and neither is the 360.

*jumps into thread*

Preamble: I am not a fan of either "next-gen" console.

Microsofts' or Sony's.

Saying that, neither am I a PC 'elitist' (whatever that means).

IOW, this is objective info. Make of it what you will.

Came across this article which may be of concern to those interested in Sony's PS3.

Cell processor reliability details may surprise you

As Sony's PlayStation 3 console nears its official release, more focus has turned to the technical wizardry that lays inside the actual machine. The Cell processor, developed by IBM, Sony and Toshiba, has gained a great deal of attention over the last year. In an interview with Electronic News however, IBM vice president of Semiconductor and Technology Services Tom Reeves says that his company is lucky if it can get 10% to 20% yields on the Cell processor.

The Cell processor is so complex that IBM even accepts chips that have only four out of the eight cores working. Not all cores end up functional says Reeves. In regards to why the yields are so low, Reeves says "[defects becomes a bigger problem the bigger the chip is. With chips that are one-by-one and silicon germanium, we can get yields of 95 percent. With a chip like the Cell processor, you

Edited by zer"0"

Apples and oranges.

You make it sound as though the target markets are different, and that everyone that buys a Xbox 360 is doing so for an optional feature. The Xbox 360 is first and foremost a video game console. Just because you have the ability to wirelessly stream music and data from your PC to the console doesn't change the fact that if you're buying a Xbox 360, you're buying one to play video games. I don't understand your fanscination with "next generation living room internet interface", but it's simply a skewed point of view on the purpose of console gaming. The same market that the PS2 dominates, is the exact same market that the Xbox 360 has entered.

I've been pondering metadigital's opinion about Xbox 360 and Playstation 2 being as apples and oranges when compared, and I must say I disagree too. I haven't found any research in the field, but I do know from personal experience that I bought a Playstation 2 to get a DVD-player in my household plus a games console. The console is first and foremost a games machine, but it does have other uses too. Sure, the Xbox 360 has more features, more power and more of basically everything, but would anyone actually buy an Xbox 360 exclusively to stream music to their livingroom..? I highly doubt that.

Or, in the words of Kaz 'Crazy' Hirai: "The basic approach we'll take is similar to the approach we took with the PlayStation Portable. That it does a lot of fun things, but we don't want to dilute the message. You'll confuse the consumer even more if you go out there and say if it's a multimedia platform. The first thing we need to say is that the PS3 is the best console out there for interactive games."

Source: http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=2&cId=3152329

I know he's discussing the Playstation 3, but I believe the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 share a lot of similarities on how they want to market themselves, and that is directly in the market for consoles.

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

ummm if you eliminate the dvd's from the picture this matches any console within the past 12 or so years.

Even the DREAMCAST had a internet capability so should we be screaming with joy about how our ps2 and xbox's outsold that poor little console?

The Ps2 and origional Xbox were specifically designed with games as the first and foremost thing they would do. DvD capability was added because gamers were slowly starting to groan about "please insert disk 2" so they crammed it all onto one dvd.

The "next Gen" consoles are trying to have gaming but are also making the dvd and internet capability a huge selling point and ultimatly trying to replace the Home Theatre System by themselves. In my opinion sony has a better chance of doing this because they've already had some experiance in making home theatre systems for consumers. But until the PS3 comes out I'll reserve judgement.

Also going to point out that one of the few reasons the Xbox sold was becasue halo came out so swiftly after the Xbox arrived. Before halo there weren't that many games that made so much as a ripple to the rest of the crew while PS2 had Devil may cry PLUS all the old ps1 games.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

ummm if you eliminate the dvd's from the picture this matches any console within the past 12 or so years.

So? We're talking about the sales figures of the PS2 and 360. The Dreamcast lacked DVD capabilities as did the N64 and Saturn. Besides those consoles were strictly game consoles and nothing else. The PS2 and 360 are game consoles first but also have the ability to watch movies and get online. I'll say it again, when comparing sales figures of the PS2 and the 360 it is NOT "apples and oranges".

If I pay 400 bucks for something it darn well better work out of the box, otherwise I'd be justified in being mad about it.

Have you ever owned a car or a house? The more you pay, the MORE likely it is that something will go wrong with it.

I disagree. The more you pay, the more likely you'll actually take notice when something will go wrong with it.

I find a lot of the time, when I go cheap when paying for something, I tend to get much more problems.

I had plenty of cheap toys while growing up. They only cost a few bucks though, so replacement was a moot point. My Nintendo far and away outlasted the rest of my toys, but once it got problems, it "sucked" because I had spent $200 on it.

He was making a joke.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

I stole them from communists, so it's ok.  Some might say I liberated them. 

Llyranor wouldn't say that. Because he's a commie.