Xbox 360 sales going strong

No, the "fanboi" in me isn't going to claim the lineup is weak, because it's far from it.  It's easily one of the best lineups ever for a console less than 12 months old, and there's something for almost everyone.

Ok, to put it bluntly: who gives a crap if it's a good lineup compared to, say Sega Saturns debut year? Who. Gives. A. Crap? The games are still subpar, with few exceptions, no matter how long the console has been out or whichever other consoles early releases you compare them with. The funnier thing is that you're basically agreeing with me, and you just don't realize it. Why not just say "the lineup is one of the best lineups ever for a console" if you think the games are so damn good right now? Why keep adding "one of" and "for a new console"? Stupid.

In about a year from now the price of the console will be lower, the library of games is sure to have some great titles among them and that is when I'll make a decision if I want an Xbox 360, a Playstation 3 or a Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii. Iii.

Edit: Forgot that the other poop-word gets censored..

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Except good games.  :ermm:

About five million people disagree with you. But hey, people here are bias towards the console anyway, so the fact it's had GOTY contenders in both 2005 and 2006 doesn't mean much on this forum.

Afterall, you're still waiting for problems that aren't real problems to go away before purchasing one.

Hmm... I plan on getting one once the heating problem is fixed and some good games are released (I have a list of 7 so far that I want, none of which are out until later this year or next year entirely)... no bias here.

Nice try but... well, not even a nice try. :)

For reference, the PS2 sold 7 million units in its first 12 months, the 360 is on pace to break that by a large margin.

But people generally only think of here and now, rather than what is actually unfolding.

Not that I want to sully myself in this fanboi holy war, but I must interject to say that you are comparing apples and oranges (and I hope you know it).

The latest gen consoles are NOT just games machines, so to compare them to a different consumer electronics item (like a DVD player) is pointless.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Ok, to put it bluntly: who gives a crap if it's a good lineup compared to, say Sega Saturns debut year? Who. Gives. A. Crap? The games are still subpar, with few exceptions, no matter how long the console has been out or whichever other consoles early releases you compare them with. The funnier thing is that you're basically agreeing with me, and you just don't realize it. Why not just say "the lineup is one of the best lineups ever for a console" if you think the games are so damn good right now? Why keep adding "one of" and "for a new console"? Stupid.

The reasoning behind "one of" is because there are some people that think Mario 64 made the N64 launch lineup the greatest ever, and other people think that Soul Caliber made the Dreamcast launch the greatest ever.

Some people think that having one single ground breaking game is better than having about a dozen good to great games. While other people feel differently.

So no, I'm not "basically agreeing with you" because at no point have I ever eluded to the Xbox 360 lineup being weak, which was the term you used. The games are not "subpar", nor are they "weak", that is something I'll never "basically agree with you" on.

Not that I want to sully myself in this fanboi holy war, but I must interject to say that you are comparing apples and oranges (and I hope you know it).

The latest gen consoles are NOT just games machines, so to compare them to a different consumer electronics item (like a DVD player) is pointless.

Um, what? The PS2 is a video game console that plays DVD's, the Xbox 360 is a video game console that plays DVDs. They're both billed as video game machines, it's not apples to oranges.

Edited by 10k fists

Company is reaching the projected numbers, and should top 10 million units sold by the end of 2006.

5 million sold

"In its fiscal fourth quarter, ended June 30, the firm sold 1.8 million units. In total it has sold 3.3 million machines in the U.S., 1.3 million in Europe and 400,000 elsewhere."

So?

I was initially agreeing with 10k fists, but his anger seems to be taking over his reason. The 360 beating every other console in its first year is more about market growth than the specific console. The gaming industry is a growth industry, so comparing anything to previous launches isn't that effective, unless it bombs. The 360 hasn't bombed, it's done quite well. It's also pointless to argue over the line up, as every console ever released has had the same line up issues. You can't please all the people with a single title.

Darque, your heat concern was addressed earlier. It was a defect in about 5% of the systems, which is a pretty low number but it's inflated by the drama of teh internet. It also should be treated like a high powered machine and not stuck into a cramped cubby with no ventilation.

Speaking of overheating, my PS2 used to just lock up after over 6 hours of playing. I remember simply waiting for it to cool down before playing again, I never even thought about returning it. But I don't play 6 hours straight very often either.

I was initially agreeing with 10k fists, but his anger seems to be taking over his reason. 

I find it incredibly comical that you and the other guy seem to think that I am somehow angry.

So even if the PS3 actually outsells the XBOX 360 in the same timeframes, would you still not bother reporting (or even criticizing) if it ended up being below Sony's sales projections?

Microsoft projected 10 million by the end of 2006, and 5 million sold by the end of June. It's coming true, and I created a thread about it, posting a link to the article.

Why do you seem so hell bent on changing everything I post into a "would you do that if it was Sony". I'll create threads I'm interested in talking about, whether it be about Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, clouds, hamburger, recycled products, books, movies, or whatever else is going on at the moment.

If Sony predicts they'll sell 20 million units in their first 12 months, I'll start a discussion when the news is released on whether they will meet that projection or not.

I don't understand the purpose of a lot of the posts directed towards me in a demeaning manner. I've gladly and quickly admitted when I was wrong, or made a mistake on something, and I've never asked for anything in return on what I've been right about. Someone says something positive about Microsoft here that can't be disproven and they're labled a "fanboi", but that same person makes a minor comment that ends up being in error and everyone is ready to pounce to then use that to discredit everything else that's been said.

Edited by 10k fists

Um, what? The PS2 is a video game console that plays DVD's, the Xbox 360 is a video game console that plays DVDs. They're both billed as video game machines, it's not apples to oranges.

Exactly.

So even if the PS3 actually outsells the XBOX 360 in the same timeframes, would you still not bother reporting (or even criticizing) if it ended up being below Sony's sales projections?

Microsoft projected 10 million by the end of 2006, and 5 million sold by the end of June. It's coming true, and I created a thread about it, posting a link to the article.

Why do you seem so hell bent on changing everything I post into a "would you do that if it was Sony". I'll create threads I'm interested in talking about, whether it be about Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, clouds, hamburger, recycled products, books, movies, or whatever else is going on at the moment.

Because, quite frankly, you seem like a Microsoft fanboy. You have already commented on observing how "anti-Microsoft" this board seems to be, yet in spite of this have no problems posting a thread saying "Hey, look at how successful the XBOX is doing." I don't recall you saying anything positive about Sony, and if you did, it was lost in your talks of the superiority of MS and the XBOX 360.

This was a nothing article. I mean, what do you want us to say? Whoop-dee-****ing-doo. They're selling consoles. If you want to come off as more than just someone that sounds like a puppet promoting the greatness of the XBOX 360 and Microsoft, you should post more than

Company is reaching the projected numbers, and should top 10 million units sold by the end of 2006.

5 million sold

"In its fiscal fourth quarter, ended June 30, the firm sold 1.8 million units. In total it has sold 3.3 million machines in the U.S., 1.3 million in Europe and 400,000 elsewhere."

Add in a comment. You anticipate that they should be able to top 10 million units sold. Do you expect the market to keep growing at it's current rate? If so (or if not), why?

Coming in and essentially saying "Hey look, MS is kicking ass" on a board (that you also have the impression of being anti-XBOX/anti-Microsoft) without making any sort of attempt at discussion is stupid. That's why my first response was "That's nice" because you basically came on here to toot Microsoft's horn for them. The thread would have seemed less absurd if you had actually posted some of the thoughts you made in later posts to begin with.

I hope you get some kickbacks out of the deal :wub:

Edited by alanschu

Darque, your heat concern was addressed earlier. 

Not really. :wub:

I'm still going to wait for the new technology a friend told me about to come around. :p

Yeah saying that only 5% are plagued with problems addresses nothing, because 5% of that 5 million are getting screwed over, and that just aint right.

I thought they already made the move to 65nm production? That should take care of the heat problems, right?

Edit: Ok, I jumped the gun. 2007, baby!

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/04/21/65nm_pro...or_for_xbox360/

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Because, quite frankly, you seem like a Microsoft fanboy.  You have already commented on observing how "anti-Microsoft" this board seems to be, yet in spite of this have no problems posting a thread saying "Hey, look at how successful the XBOX is doing."  I don't recall you saying anything positive about Sony, and if you did, it was lost in your talks of the superiority of MS and the XBOX 360.

Quite frankly, this was a nothing article.  I mean, what do you want us to say?  Whoop-dee-****ing-doo.  They're selling consoles.  If you want to come off as more than just someone that sounds like a puppet promoting the greatness of the XBOX 360 and Microsoft, you should post more than ...

Add in a comment.  You anticipate that they should be able to top 10 million units sold.  Do you expect the market to keep growing at it's current rate?  If so (or if not), why?

Coming in and essentially saying "Hey look, MS is kicking ass" on a board (that you also have the impression of being anti-XBOX/anti-Microsoft) without making any sort of attempt at discussion is stupid.  That's why my first response was "That's nice" because you basically came on here to toot Microsoft's horn for them.  The thread would have seemed less absurd if you had actually posted some of the thoughts you made in later posts to begin with.

I hope you get some kickbacks out of the deal :wub:

You just seem to have a selective memory by thinking I've never said anything positive about Sony. Just because I think Xenon is a better gaming processor than Cell doesn't mean I'm being negative on Sony. Aside from my personal choice of HD-DVD over Blu Ray for price reasons, that's all I've said about Sony. What more do you want me to say?

It's easier to just post the article and leave personal comments out until you judge the reaction of the readers. When you said "that's nice" - I responded with exactly what you're complaining about the lack of - a comment.

Edited by 10k fists

It's easier to just post the article and leave personal comments out until you judge the reaction of the readers. When you said "that's nice" - I responded with exactly what you're complaining about the lack of - a comment.

Uh huh.

You come onto a forum that you know cares little to nothing about the XBox 360 (in your own words), and post a thread saying how successful it is.

Edited by alanschu

Yeah saying that only 5% are plagued with problems addresses nothing, because 5% of that 5 million are getting screwed over, and that just aint right.

It was 5% of the launch units, not 5% of every unit sold to date... :rolleyes:

The 360 I bought in May was affected, and the new unit I have right now has a wonky DVD-drive that occasionlly misreads discs. I don't know how many 360s I'm going to have to swap in order to obtain that perfect one that you suposedly have. I'm prone to believe that a good percentage of these units have problems, which is dissapointing on MS's part.

That's nice.

Actually yes, it is. The larger the installed userbase for a platform, the more diverse the gaming library will be. On top of that, smaller development houses and publishers will be more willing to risk a product due to the sheer number of users. It's a win/win for everyone involved, especially the consumer.

Now if they'd just fix that heating problem, they'd get one more.

The heating "problems" haven't been a problem. The fail rate of the console was under 5% at launch, and has since declined even further as manufacturing processes have yielded better results.

Ya but the thing gets so hot after you've played it for a few hours, you just get paranoid.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf