Xbox 360 sales going strong

I'm waiting for the profit man.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

That's nice.

Actually yes, it is. The larger the installed userbase for a platform, the more diverse the gaming library will be. On top of that, smaller development houses and publishers will be more willing to risk a product due to the sheer number of users. It's a win/win for everyone involved, especially the consumer.

Now if they'd just fix that heating problem, they'd get one more.

The heating "problems" haven't been a problem. The fail rate of the console was under 5% at launch, and has since declined even further as manufacturing processes have yielded better results.

Edited by 10k fists

Ok, now lets be honest here.  When the PS3 gets released, will you start a post about how it has sold 5 million units?

If they meet their projected statements. I'm not going to just post willy nilly about how console "X" sold "Z" units, but when a there is a claim as to how many units they will sell, and they reach that mark, yes, I'm going to post about it.

Sales of both consoles is beneficial to me, personally, so I'd like to see them both succeed on some level, just for different reasons.

Sales of both consoles is beneficial to me, personally, so I'd like to see them both succeed on some level, just for different reasons.

That's a good way to think about it. I've only briefly considered having both... but I know in the end one will be sitting under a think layer of dust.

Ok, now lets be honest here.  When the PS3 gets released, will you start a post about how it has sold 5 million units?

If they meet their projected statements. I'm not going to just post willy nilly about how console "X" sold "Z" units, but when a there is a claim as to how many units they will sell, and they reach that mark, yes, I'm going to post about it.

We'll see I guess.

What surprises me is how good the Xbox 360 is selling, despite having a rather mediocre game library. Let's face it, there are few really good games available for the Xbox 360. I imagine sales picking up even more once the new batch of games gets ready in the autumn. Sony and Playstation 3 sure has their work cut out for them!

Although, this is kind of.. surprising:

Prebooking.gif

The most preordered item on Webhallen.se is the Playstation 3! More people have preordered the $600 Plyastation 3 than the $30 World of Warcraft expansion..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

What surprises me is how good the Xbox 360 is selling, despite having a rather mediocre game library. Let's face it, there are few really good games available for the Xbox 360. I imagine sales picking up even more once the new batch of games gets ready in the autumn. Sony and Playstation 3 sure has their work cut out for them!

Yes, the game library for the 360 is pretty lame and this was the problem with the orginal Xbox. It's why I won't waste my money on one....yet.

I don't know what sales were in June but according to NPD the PS2 is still outselling the 360(as of May). It's great they sold 5 million units but it's pretty sad that you can't outsell a 6yr old console.

Except good games.  :(

About five million people disagree with you. But hey, people here are bias towards the console anyway, so the fact it's had GOTY contenders in both 2005 and 2006 doesn't mean much on this forum.

Afterall, you're still waiting for problems that aren't real problems to go away before purchasing one.

I don't know what sales were in June but according to NPD the PS2 is still outselling the 360(as of May). It's great they sold 5 million units but it's pretty sad that you can't outsell a 6yr old console.

They've sold almost every unit they've shipped, how is that sad? The PS2 is still a casual gamers platform, so yes, it's going to continue to sell until games for casual gamers come out on next-gen platforms.

The PS3 isn't going to outsell the PS2, neither is the Wii. Their numbers won't be sad either.

You can also buy 4 PS2's for the price of 1 Xbox360. That means the PS2 needs to outsell the 360 4 to 1 to stay even, although the PS2 doesn't need to compete per se, it's already exceeded expectations. I think you need to compare more than just 360 vs. PS2 to get an accurate representation. Did the PS2 immediately outsell the PS1 when it was released?

But I'm just glad to see the competition is staying hot. That's typically good news for gamers in general. Also, I owned a PS2 shortly after its release, and the game selection sucked as well. That's the story of pretty much every console. I think the 360 has already done better than the original, they've got established franchises and I was pleased with Oblivion and Hitman.

What are you getting upset about? Selling 5 million units without having a Halo 3 or a GTA to draw in the crowds is a huge sign of strength. But even a fanboi like you have to admit that the line-up of games is pretty weak at the moment..? I mean.. uh.. I can't think of any game on the Xbox 360 that's even close to great status. GRAW and Oblivion are good games, nothing more, nothing less. But then what?

I'm not worried though. Xbox 360 doesn't have a real NHL game yet, but NHL 2007 looks awesome, almost making me want one of those ugly little boxes. Mass Effect is coming and I'm sure that will help the RPG side of the console. Forza 2 is probably going to rock the racing scene, as it's looking unbeliebably believable good. Lots of shooters as usual, but still.. the gaming future is looking extremely bright for the Xbox 360.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

You can also buy 4 PS2's for the price of 1 Xbox360.  That means the PS2 needs to outsell the 360 4 to 1 to stay even, although the PS2 doesn't need to compete per se, it's already exceeded expectations.  I think you need to compare more than just 360 vs. PS2 to get an accurate representation.  Did the PS2 immediately outsell the PS1 when it was released?

But I'm just glad to see the competition is staying hot.  That's typically good news for gamers in general.  Also, I owned a PS2 shortly after its release, and the game selection sucked as well.  That's the story of pretty much every console.  I think the 360 has already done better than the original, they've got established franchises and I was pleased with Oblivion and Hitman.

For reference, the PS2 sold 7 million units in its first 12 months, the 360 is on pace to break that by a large margin.

But people generally only think of here and now, rather than what is actually unfolding.

What are you getting upset about? Selling 5 million units without having a Halo 3 or a GTA to draw in the crowds is a huge sign of strength. But even a fanboi like you have to admit that the line-up of games is pretty weak at the moment..? I mean.. uh.. I can't think of any game on the Xbox 360 that's even close to great status. GRAW and Oblivion are good games, nothing more, nothing less. But then what?

I'm not worried though. Xbox 360 doesn't have a real NHL game yet, but NHL 2007 looks awesome, almost making me want one of those ugly little boxes. Mass Effect is coming and I'm sure that will help the RPG side of the console. Forza 2 is probably going to rock the racing scene, as it's looking unbeliebably believable good. Lots of shooters as usual, but still.. the gaming future is looking extremely bright for the Xbox 360.

I'm upset? I didn't realize that. Is my blood pressure ok too, since you know more about me than I do?

No, the "fanboi" in me isn't going to claim the lineup is weak, because it's far from it. It's easily one of the best lineups ever for a console less than 12 months old, and there's something for almost everyone.

I don't really have an interest in discussing what games I think are good and great, because you'll simply rebute with some remark that will only degrade this thread even further, if history repeats itself. But there are many more games that gamers are buying/renting and playing and having a great time with than just GRAW and Oblivion.

Edited by 10k fists

I'm not waiting for them to address these heating issues before I buy one. I'm pretty sure that if something does go wrong Microsoft will fix it. What I am waiting for is a better selection of games so it's worth the $400 purchase. Maybe a better selection other than FPS or Sports games.