NHL

Darque

That was inevitable. I wonder if Ed Belfour is going to land anywhere. Personally I hope that he ends up in Phoenix, since that's where everyone else is going this season.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

^ last i heard was Florida. that should make Auld happy.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

ah okay, didn't know that, thx for the link. makes me think no one has faith in his repaired back.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

An another question, why are large threads deemed "bad" and get closed? It's not like it's confusing for people joining the thread, as the past few threads have already demonstrated the people that are talking about the NHL are the same people anyways.

ANd it's just current events usually, so it's not like someone would need to come in on page one anyways.

I enjoy seeing the NHL thread getting bigger and bigger.. :ermm:

This new thread is too tiny. And it'll remain tiny since this is the slowest part of the season for the NHL. I wouldn't mind the thread-cutting in the autumn, after the NHL season started (as we're usually a lot more active by then), but now..? Our NHL thread is going to be puny for months! :)

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I was kind of hoping that we could have waited until the new season started as well before starting version 5.0.

In unrelated news, the Oil locked up second line center Jaret Stoll to a two year deal. I didn't see any terms on there, but as long as he makes less than 6.5 over the two seasons I'll be happy. Plus Stolly is bagging Rachel Hunter. Nice work for a farm boy from Saskatchewan.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

I was just reading that thread as we speak, Alan. The source is Sportsnet, so you're right about the grain of salt thing.

Now we just need to sign Hemsky and trade for Gonchar and we'll be ready!!

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Me myself, I'd have to say the top four offensive d-men in the league over the past five years have been Pronger, Neidermeyer, Lidstrom and Gonchar. I'm too lazy to check the stats but I'm about 80% sure that Gonchar has the most goals out of the four in the past couple of seasons.

Sure he's no gem in his own end, but he's not as Horrible as he's portrayed in the forums.

As for who we'd give up, I'd say Bergeron and possibly Pouliout(sp?). I think that the Pens would jump for a chance to reunite Crosby with one of his old linemates.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

I feel dumb for leaving Sergei Zubov off of my list. Okay so Gonch is one of the top five offensive dmen.

And who wouldn't struggle in Pittsburgh?

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Well, they're likely getting Evengi Malkin there as well.

I'd be surprised if Pittsburgh gave him up, though they may opt for a younger player. I don't think Edmonton has what Pittsburgh is looking for.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=172126&hubname=nhl

I don't get how Briere is worth that much. He's good, but I wouldn't even say he's a top line center. It seems like the arbitration hearings are going the wrong way.

On the other hand, I would say that Scott Gomez is worth 5 million. I guess we'll see.

Briere was great last season, but he also was limited due to injury. He's a little guy and will have trouble taking the punishment that top line centers have to endure. He's also, according to what I've read since I've rarely seen him, not a defensively responsible forward. That's a big knock in my eyes. Looking at Scott Gomez, he's defense first and still managed to put up points.

And what, Gomez is a giant? If I was a GM I wouldn't pick either of them for my team. For the kind of coin these guys want I'd pick up Brian Rolston instead.

I watched a whole heck of a lot of Buffalo last season ( mostly for Rick Jeanerette and his wicked awesome commentary) and Briere was a dynamo who elevated the play of his linemates, who were for the most part J.P. Dumont and Jochen Hecht. Put those two on the wings with Gomez and he wouldn't crack 50 points.

Just my opinion, but Briere>Gomez. Although Gomez is the better passer, Briere has that spark that can rally a team behind him. I don't get that watching Gomez.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Belfour signed with Florida. I dislike the eagle intensely, he seems like a douchebag and he said some messed up stuff when he ditched the Sharks awhile back, but I think this is good for the Panthers. Auld will have someone to split time with as he adjusts to being a starting goalie. Belfour will probably get another 30-35 games under his belt before he retires.

IMO, Buffalo would be silly not to sign and keep Briere. Just offer him a multi-year deal and he'll likely drop his per year price down to about $4 to $4.5 million, rather than $5 million.

Eddie's worth a gamble if it's in the $1 to $1.5 million range, but not worth it if it's higher than that.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)