Movies You Have Seen Lately

Darque

Dammit, I need to rent TYFS. Maybe the library has it. I read the book a few years ago and really enjoyed it, and I've heard nothing but good about the film, so I really need to make some time to watch it.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

The Queen; Helen Mirren is brilliant (again and as usual).

Watched the Battlestar Galactica miniseries ... HATED IT. Then, on a whim, I watched the "making of" featurette, and I realised (with the specially-selected bunch of clips from the original series) how camp the first one was. (How could they include footage of Lorne Greene looking like a dandy in a Sicilian comedy? Just to make the new series look better! :o ) So I watched it again. And it didn't seem so bad.

In my defence, I really liked the orignal film and not the series. :-"

I am now not sure if I should watch the rest of the series.

I hated the fact that there was only about ten seconds of actual Cylon footage, and the rest of the show used the humanoid ones ... but I understand that this gives the producers a lot more freedom for acting and script, without being chained to the CGI-albatross ... but what's up with not being able to tell the cylons from humans "down to their blood", yet there are silicon cerebral pathways that are vulnerable to the Ragnorok radiation? Seems pretty straight forward to devise a cylon-test, to me ... )

I DO like what they did with Baltar, though: a lot of scope for a rich, non-shallow evil character.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

X3: the united stand of the last mutants or whatever

Fastball special. Good. Action scenes. Good. For all the talk of Juggernaut looking like plastic I thought that the opening bit CGI with a younger Charles and Eric was much worse.

I'll give this movie six heating pads out of ten advils.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Just saw Lucky Number Slevin (No that is not a misspelling). I really enjoyed this movie, has a lot of similarities with the Usual Suspects. I'd talk about it, but mentioning almost anything in the story could give away spoilers. Some great twists and all the actors did a great job.

Also, am I the only one who likes the movie Lost in Space? I ask because I watched the movie years ago, just now picked it up on DVD and read reviews of it online. Most reviews say the movie is absolute crap, yet I really enjoy the movie. I never did watch the original series, so maybe that is part of the reason. Anyone else here like the movie?

I thought it was brilliant when I saw it at the cinema ... then I watched it again a few years ago and it had not aged well. There are some good parts, definitely, like the new robot and some of the dialogue was pretty nifty, too ... but I did cringe at a fair bit of it. :blink:

I liked the Lost in Space movie, although I think it has some flaws; partially in ham fisted dramatics (Will teaching the Robot about Friendship, the forced dramatics of a family that can't barely get along).

That said, the new robot was crap. Why can't people anymore design really cool looking robots? They all look industrial and "samey" to me anymore.

And for the record I'm a big fan of the original series as well.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Just watched World Trade Center. Worth a look just to get a different perspective on the whole disaster (from the Water Police). One gets to see the good in people, which helps balance the tragedy of the event. Lots of screentime with Cage not moving in the dark, though.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I thought I wrote this one already....

United 93. I was curious. It's actually pretty decent. It's not, of course, a documentary and shouldn't be viewed as such, but as a tribute/whatever it's ok. It doesn't focus on characterization/personification too much - ie there's no 'one main hero focus', just events and dramatic hypothesis. One of the more interesting things to me (I have no idea how accurate it is to reality) was the portrayal of the confusion and chaos that resulted in civilian and military paralysis or at least slow reaction times.

Not an easy movie to watch and I can understand why some people would never want to see it, but it felt largely respectful and was well filmed. Tho occasionally I couldn't hear what people were saying because of so much other noise in the film.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Raise The Red Lantern

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

ugh my flatmate decided to hire out King Arthur....

such an appalling horrible movie. i don't know what his name is, but the dude who plays king arthur can't act for **** >_<

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Raise The Red Lantern

One of my favorite foreign films of all time.

With good reason. >_

Although, I feel the word foreign is a bit superfluous.

Heja Sverige!!

Although, I feel the word foreign is a bit superfluous.

You're probably correct. I still have many US-centric term-useage habits from another age.

One of my favorite non-American films of all time. Better? :D

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

How's this:

"One of my favorite films of all time."

Heja Sverige!!

Went out and saw "The Departed" earlier today. I found it to be quite entertaining. Anyone else seen it yet?

I did, talked about it a bit in the recommendation thread.

Over 24 hours later, and there are still knots in my stomach. Electrifying movie. Incredible dialogue (so many awesome insults, too), bowstring-taut atmosphere, lots of great twists, and an incredibly satisfying ending. Some people say it's a copout, but those people are crazy >_<

Best movie I've seen all year, maybe one of the best movies I've ever seen, period. Scorsese never lost it.

Just saw the cult film, Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural. It had some decent ideas, but they were buried in a film that was pretty directionless all toled.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Tonari No Totoro

Beautiful. Miyazaki is my hero.

Heja Sverige!!

I saw Voodoo Island with Boris Karloff (pretty good but the story kind of collapsed in the last fourth of the movie) and The Four Skulls of Jonathan Drake which has some interesting ideas marred by some of the worst police work in the history of film

for example: the lead detective while searching a suspect's house finds the severed head of a doctor, then he goes back to the station and discusses something *other* than finding the severed head of a murdered man (plus the shrunken head of another) and in fact never seems to tell anyone he found anything, as he is the only person who ever chases the killer!

Edward Scissorhands was cool.

I'm completely apalled by Burton's style nowadays and Elfman always sounds the same, but goddamn that was some fine acting.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds