Movies You Have Seen Lately

Darque

Just saw Lucky Number Slevin (No that is not a misspelling). I really enjoyed this movie, has a lot of similarities with the Usual Suspects. I'd talk about it, but mentioning almost anything in the story could give away spoilers. Some great twists and all the actors did a great job.

Also, am I the only one who likes the movie Lost in Space? I ask because I watched the movie years ago, just now picked it up on DVD and read reviews of it online. Most reviews say the movie is absolute crap, yet I really enjoy the movie. I never did watch the original series, so maybe that is part of the reason. Anyone else here like the movie?

Also, am I the only one who likes the movie Lost in Space? I ask because I watched the movie years ago, just now picked it up on DVD and read reviews of it online. Most reviews say the movie is absolute crap, yet I really enjoy the movie. I never did watch the original series, so maybe that is part of the reason. Anyone else here like the movie?

There were parts of the movie that I enjoyed and others that if I owned the movie, I wouldn't be able to fast forward through fast enough (although 100x is pretty fast...). It was a decent enough movie. :-

Well, I watched the American theatrical version (Tony Jaa looks good on big screen.) and Jaa's father was murdered and no scene of any prayer was there.

I wondered why they didn't just ask Jackie himself to appear in the film for that cameo.

I must've seen another version then. :-"

The prayer scene must've been added(or cut for America) because I also thought his father was dead. Then they show us Kham and daddy(with bloody bandages around his waist/belly) walk in the "village" and participate in this ritual. It's very short, with a subtitle that says something like "Ceremony to help find Boa

It was Jackie Chan at the airport. He has longer hair though, maybe a wig I couldn't tell. 

RooFLES! Another person from a society where there is insufficient variety of observable Chinese facial features fooled by the Chan look-alike! :D

Don't feel bad or anything. I once thought Nicklas Cage is the same guy as Michael Douglas.

Edited by julianw

It was Jackie Chan at the airport. He has longer hair though, maybe a wig I couldn't tell. 

RooFLES! Another person from a society where there is insufficient variety of observable Chinese facial features fooled by the Chan look-alike! :D

Don't feel bad or anything. I once thought Nicklas Cage is the same guy as Michael Douglas.

No really, when Kham arrives at the airport, someone bumps into him. They both stop, turn around to face each other, smile at each other for 2-3 seconds and then leave.

It's Jackie Chan!

By the way, Canada has MANY Asian citizens. We have many of everything except jobs and money(excluding Alberta).

:D

I just got The Godfather DVD Collection. Pure awesomeness. :p

http://www.amazon.com/Godfather-DVD-Collec...o/dp/B00003CXAA

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Yep. It's either the whole package, or nothing. And I think 3 only seems godawful because it came after two of the greatest movies of all time. 3, while not very good, isn't, in my opinion as ghastly as everyone says.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

The last movie I saw was Serenity, after watching the entire run of Firefly, and both are still great after multiple viewings. It's a damn shame Serenity did so poorly at the box office, since I imagine that was the last nail in the Firefly coffin, and I'd dearly love to see more content set in that universe.

Next up, I think I'll watch V for Vendetta. I missed it in the theatre, so I'm anxious to see it now that it's on DVD. Hopefully it's as good as I've heard it was.

Following Baley's advice I watched Fist of Legend and, as you might know, Baley was right.

>_<

I couldn't find the Chinese version so I had to settle for the english dubbed one. I didn't mind to much, the voice-overs were very decent compared to other translations.

Does anyone know of other good and recent(post 80s) kung-Fu/martial arts films not starring Jet Li and/or Jackie Chan?

I couldn't find the Chinese version so I had to settle for the english dubbed one. I didn't mind to much, the voice-overs were very decent compared to other translations.

I thought the dubbing gave it a great old-school feel - watching Kung-Fu flicks in their native language (as opposed to English) makes me feel dirty and foul inside; granted, I do get over it fast if the action's worthwhile.

Does anyone know of other good and recent(post 80s) kung-Fu/martial arts films not starring Jet Li and/or Jackie Chan?

Iron Monkey - directed by Woo-ping Yuen (who choreographed: Fist of Legend, The Kill Bill Flicks The Matrix Flicks, Kung Fu Hustle, Fearless, Danny The Dog, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon etc.).

And I know you said no Jet Li, but he starred in one of the great HK mystical mumbo-jumbo flick:

Lord of The Wu Tang

bscap016.jpg

bscap017.jpg

bscap018.jpg

As you can see - it's absolutely brilliant.

PS: I watched Mean Streets and Port of Shadows (Le Quai des brumes) - both good, yet hardly essential. I'd definitely recommend Mean Streets to just about anyone, while the Carne flick, well, like most pre-WW2 French Films, it's incredibly dated, Jean Gabin's the man, though, and I rather like the camera-work.

Baley, I've seen Iron Monkey and all your choices(yes, even The Matrix! :cool: ) except Lord of Wu Tang. I may give it a try but I do prefer more serious films like Once Upon a Time in China or anything that studies the history of the Orient.

I've seen many but most of them were the usual stuff that is shown in American theaters and I know there are others, more interesting Kung Fu/Martial Arts films out there.

Are any of them not revenge stories? >_<

Just saw Lucky Number Slevin (No that is not a misspelling). I really enjoyed this movie, has a lot of similarities with the Usual Suspects. I'd talk about it, but mentioning almost anything in the story could give away spoilers. Some great twists and all the actors did a great job.

I thought it was brilliant when I saw it at the cinema ... then I watched it again a few years ago and it had not aged well. There are some good parts, definitely, like the new robot and some of the dialogue was pretty nifty, too ... but I did cringe at a fair bit of it. :thumbsup:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT