Movies You Have Seen Lately

Darque

@Baley: Didn't you think Snatch was just Lock, Stock..., rehashed?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Revolver was bloody awful, by the way.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I have been watching a bunch of Studio Ghibli films on Film Four (which is free!). They are all "acclaimed" anime (not manga) fims done by Hayao Miyazaki. The settings vary from mundane real world with a weird aspect like witches to all out crazy demon stuff.However they all seem have a common theme of "young girl saves the world" which just makes them very similar in aboring way.

His style is almost entirly "little girl grows up and gains tremendous power!"

Personally I prefer Dual! and evangelion over his films. Oh and Witch Hunter Robin.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Krookie, what about when you found out there was a third instalment?

I threw up. IMO that movie sucked.

Ah, you were just rebelling against your earlier dinosaur obsession. :ermm:

And never let it be said that the middle management of a content provider would let a good franchise cash cow go before she is milked within a pint of her life ...

:ermm:

I've always much preferred "proto-", but I can see a man of your stature fetishizing the French Langage, must feel good, bet it does, bet it does. Now, I know "proto-" and  "avant-la-lettre" aren't really, you know, interchangeable, but there's a time in life when you realise not many things are and "close" or even "near", come, well, close, fairly fairly close to your usual, state-of-the-art, state-approved definition.

Well, as with all semantic explorations, what seperates the various words/phrases is the minute differences in context.

For example, here, I would say that proto- is a more under-developed connotation, in that it had all the hallmarks (of the future concept of Marxism), but was somehow not completely formed, like the Invasion of the Body Snatchers' facsimile of Jeff Goldblum (with the bloody lip) on the table in the mud-bath sanatarium; whereas avant-la-lettre connotes a fully-formed Marxist, millennia before Marx was born.

That's my take, anyway. I would (erroneously or not) use them in this way, because I see these as subtle but significant flavours for the words.

:ermm:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Yeah, dude, you're correct, and I never really, you know, claimed they mean the same thing, I was trying to explain that when two terms are, like, close, you can choose one to be "in" with the cool kids|language dandies, okay, okay, picture this, "avant-la-lettre" is the fat acne-ridden dork you used to beat up in highschool, steal his money, girls and clean underwear|dictionaries, uh, anyway, "proto-" is that hot broad you always wanted to midnight poke but never got your shot because she, uh, died, yeah, okay, car crash, big big car crash. Boom.

(Or simply put: French Blows. Yikes.)

His style is almost entirly "little girl grows up and gains tremendous power!"

Personally I prefer Dual! and evangelion over his films. Oh and Witch Hunter Robin.

post-1162-1156000658.gif

WHAT!?

anyway meteor man is the most recent netflix. Older movie and horribly aged. It was like watching "cj" from san andreas (compared to the silent guy from GTA3 and VC in comparison to superman). A feel good movie about gangs and how we can beat em if we all just band together and not wait for some outside influence to save the community. It's got an all black cast other than extreme stereotypes of everyone else. It's got some slapstick and goofy moments but ultimatly fails at the test of time.

It's also got doctor Eli Vance as one of the actors (well his voice actor) who also did Rafiki. And bill cosby lends some of his comedic abilites to it, along with James earl Jones, and Eddie Griffith.

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Hotel Rwanda

The true-to-life story of hotel manager Paul Rusesabagina during the Rwandan Genocide (1994). The movie follows Paul from a time where he thinks of only saving his imidiate family, to a point where he manages to hide, and save  1,268 refugees in his hotel. Calling in favors (multiple times) Paul manages to keep himself, his family, and the refugees alive. The movie ends

with Paul, his family, and the refugees he saved, crossing over the Tutsi Reble line.

The movie also points out the lack of US and UN military assistance during the time of the genocide.

Very good movie. A+.