Movies You Have Seen Lately

Darque

"Crash" was powerful for me because I deal with American racism every day.  It also portrayed the dual nature of racism, the lack of black and white, good and evil.  But if you don't live in the US, or rather a major city in the US, it doesn't carry the same wieght.

I think its pretty resonant with UK citizens too as we have a simliar sort of immigration situation and ethnic diversity.

You need to remember the fact that you're opinion does not speak for mine. If I think the actors were good, then that's what I think.

A misguided opinion, but still an opinion. Acting is a skill though, a thing some are better at than others.

And Hurlshot, if you want to see a real movie about racism, watch Ladybird, ladybird.

You need to remember the fact that you're opinion does not speak for mine. If I think the actors were good, then that's what I think.

A misguided opinion, but still an opinion. Acting is a skill though, a thing some are better at than others.

Ladybird, ladybird.

What's the matter with you? Why do you you always have to be right? You don't have to add the "misguided" line, because it isn't. You know why? Because I don't think it is. That's another opinion of mine.

I can keep this up all day. I've got no where to go, I'm grounded.

Edited by Krookie

Ladybird, ladybird.

What's the matter with you? Why do you you always have to be right? You don't have to add the "misguided" line, because it isn't. You know why? Because I don't think it is. That's another opinion of mine.

I can keep this up all day. I've got no where to go, I'm grounded.

Whats the matter with YOU for liking that movie?

And as much as i'd like to do this all day, i can't. Prior engagements and so on.

Ta-ta.

Sad news today a brilliant character actor Bruno Kirby died at the age of 57. http://tinyurl.com/rysjo

I just watched him on Entourage a couple of weeks ago, great TV show by the way. Some his best roles I highly recommend. When Harry Met Sally, City Slickers, Donnie Brasco, Godfather 2.

Plus he had some smaller roles in films like Good Morning, Vietnam, as well as Sleepers.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

That song was huge when I was 13 or something.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Watched Nacho Libre a couple days ago, and I'm surprisingly impressed.

It's a pretty funny movie, not hysterical, but funny all the same, and I just think Jack Black acts pretty well in it, not overusing his eyebrows like some reviews have suggested.

I would give a longer review, but I saw it a couple days ago and ca't remember all that much now.

Snatch

Plot Summary: Turkish and his rather strange accomplice Tommy get pulled into the world of match fixing by the notorious Brick Top. Things get complicated when the boxer they had lined up gets the **** kicked out of him by Pitt, a 'pike' as they call him. They then try to convince Pitt not only to fight for them, but to lose for them too. Whilst all this is going on, a huge diamond heist takes place, and a fistful of motley characters enter the story, including 'Cousin Avi', 'Boris The Blade', 'Franky Four Fingers' and 'Bullet Tooth Tony'. Things go from bad to worse as it all becomes about the money, the guns, and the damned dog!

Good silly fun with plenty of violence, decent-to-good acting and Vinnie Jones, I like Vinnie Jones, he's cool. The boxing match was horrible and Tyrone a funny fatso. Enjoyable.

Utomlyonnye solntsem (Burnt by the Sun)

Plot Summary: Russia, 1936: revolutionary hero Colonel Kotov is spending an idyllic summer in his dacha with his young wife and six-year-old daughter Nadia and other assorted family and friends. Things change dramatically with the unheralded arrival of Cousin Dmitri from Moscow, who charms the women and little Nadia with his games and pianistic bravura. But Kotov isn't fooled: this is the time of Stalin's repression, with telephone calls in the middle of the night spelling doom - and he knows that Dmitri isn't paying a social call...

A Bore.

Il Vangelo Secondo Matteo (The Gospel According to St. Matthew)

Plot Outline: The life of Jesus Christ according to the Gospel of Matthew. Pasolini shows Christ as a marxist avant-la-lettre and therefore uses half of the text of Matthew.

A beautiful film about a shallow little twerp's descend into madness|self-importance, or a blessed thinker's rise, fall, rise, repeat ad nauseam, or a tale of revolution, guts and proto-marxism, the people's darling dying on the cross. Suppose it all depends on one's perspective, bollocks, revolutionaries are (usually) boring. Judas' hanging is so much powerful and, in death, becomes a character one can relate to. Great scenery, great cast, great Jesus (Pasolini thought of Kerouac or Ginsberg for the role, imagine Jack wearing a crown of thorns and babbling them gospel lines), beautiful, at the same time faithful, at the same time empty, vapid and limp. The Last Temptation is indeed more interesting.

Krookie, what about when you found out there was a third instalment?

I have been watching a bunch of Studio Ghibli films on Film Four (which is free!). They are all "acclaimed" anime (not manga) fims done by Hayao Miyazaki. The settings vary from mundane real world with a weird aspect like witches to all out crazy demon stuff.However they all seem have a common theme of "young girl saves the world" which just makes them very similar in aboring way.

Also I watched the Clooney version of Solaris. The announcing guy described it as brooding and hypnotic. I now know these are synonyms for boring. Is the russian "classic" version any good?

Also I watched the Clooney version of Solaris. The announcing guy described it as brooding and hypnotic. I now know these are synonyms for  boring. Is the russian "classic" version any good?

Well, the American version is definitely more watchable. Rent it if you fancy seeing a tit drive a car for ten minutes straight while some other tit's capturing it on film. Add a bunch of philosobabble, loads of drivel and the most gripping direction this side of, uh, Jean-Luc Godard. If you want to get into Tarkovsky start with Offret (The Sacrifice). You've got both Sven Nykvist and Erland Josephson. Thrilling, I know. But they're both masters of their respective trade.

Il Vangelo Secondo Matteo (The Gospel According to St. Matthew)
Plot Outline: The life of Jesus Christ according to the Gospel of Matthew. Pasolini shows Christ as a marxist avant-la-lettre and therefore uses half of the text of Matthew.

A beautiful film about a shallow little twerp's descend into madness|self-importance, or a blessed thinker's rise, fall, rise, repeat ad nauseam, or a tale of revolution, guts and proto-marxism, the people's darling dying on the cross. Suppose it all depends on one's perspective, bollocks, revolutionaries are (usually) boring. Judas' hanging is so much powerful and, in death, becomes a character one can relate to. Great scenery, great cast, great Jesus (Pasolini thought of Kerouac or Ginsberg for the role, imagine Jack wearing a crown of thorns and babbling them gospel lines), beautiful, at the same time faithful, at the same time empty, vapid and limp. The Last Temptation is indeed more interesting.

Good phrase! A sort of anachronistic ideaological item. Lovely. And my words for the day were turgid and tumid. This is much better.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I've always much preferred "proto-", but I can see a man of your stature fetishizing the French Langage, must feel good, bet it does, bet it does. Now, I know "proto-" and "avant-la-lettre" aren't really, you know, interchangeable, but there's a time in life when you realise not many things are and "close" or even "near", come, well, close, fairly fairly close to your usual, state-of-the-art, state-approved definition.

Manhattan Murder Mystery

Plot Summary: Larry and Carol are fairly normal New Yorkers who have sent their son off to college. They meet an elderly couple down the hall and later in the week find that the wife has suddenly died. Carol becomes suspicious of Paul who seems to be too cheerful and too ready to move on. She begins her investigation. Larry insists she is becomming too fixated on what their neighbor as all of the irregularities seem to have simple non-homicidal explanations. Ted, a recently divorced friend helps her investigation and Larry begins to become jealous of their relationship and agrees to help her.

I've always pictured myself Pier Paolo Pasolini, but, in all reality and especially the morning "after", I'm Woody Allen, metaphorically speaking of course. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't mean that as an insult, obviously, I love myself and reckon, behind all the self-deprecation, Woody too loves himself, quite a lot looking at his acting history, well anyway, there's a problem with this flick and the problem is it's boring. Simple as that. The scrip|actors|directing are all decent, and man, I still think Diane Keaton's by far the sexiest|most beautiful Allen girl. So why's it boring? Well, just look at the premise. That said, I did have some fun, even though I finished it in two sittings with lots of beer and, most importantly, cake! I kid, I kid.

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

Plot Summary: Four Jack-the-lads find themselves heavily - seriously heavily - in debt to an East End hard man and his enforcers after a crooked card game. Overhearing their neighbours in the next flat plotting to hold up a group of out-of-their-depth drug growers, our heros decide to stitch up the robbers in turn. In a way the confusion really starts when a pair of antique double-barrelled shotguns go missing in a completely different scam.

I still reckon this an absolute blast. Incredibly funny, violent and entertaining. I can't really think of a better film to watch with a couple mates and a couple beers. Well, there's one or two Jet Li flicks and I've always fancied Nick Love, maybe A Clockwork Orange? Classy.

Foutaises (Things I Like, Things I Don't Like)

Plot Summary: A 9 minute comedy starring Dominique Pinon (Delicatessen). Featuring muted colors with a sepia black and white, Pinon takes the viewer through various examples of what he "likes and dislikes". The music is by Carlos D'Alessio and Special Thanks is given to Claudie Ossard.

It's really funny|inventive and while Jeunet has been responsible for dreg like Amelie these past few years, he once, while working with Caro, was the man, or maybe Caro was the man and Jeunet his, uh, I'd really like to use the b-word that also means female dog but there's a certain mod who'd have my balls for that, so, uh, his little dwarf-like buddy.

You can watch it at Youtube, though it's really really dark, anyway, a definite blast. I wish all arty films were 7 minutes long, they tend to devolve into the most boring of the boring and the most pretentious of the very-very-quite-quite pretentious. It does indeed take a "Master", and I ain't using the word lightly, to make an art film enjoyable. Don't even get me started on "indies". A blob of lard with a camera and pirated sound|music PC toys can easily hit it big among his equally untalented mates. These days. These days.

Edited by Baley