Movies You Have Seen Lately

Darque

The Ant Bully.

I was pleasantly suprised. A lot of action and rather intense for this type of film.

The animation wasn't top notch but still way better than Hoodwinked.

It is about a friendless boy who is bullied by another kid and takes his frustrations out on ants living on his lawn. One of the ants, a wizard, makes a potion that allows him to reduce the ant bully in size to the ant's level so he can be punished for his "crimes".

Fun and mayhem soon follow.

World Trade Center.

I've gotta say, this was this first movie that's made me misty-eyed. Acting was pretty good, and the script was well written. After the first halfhour you think it's gonna be shot in darkness the entire time, but they did a good job of telling the story of what went on uptop with families of those who had gone missing. This is a must see for anyone (like myself) who was close enough to the WTC to see the smoke. It's still a good movie for anyone else, and may offer some insight on just how paniced everyone was on 9/11. My father works only a mile from the WTC and (with the rest of the people that he works with) saw the second plane hit from the roof of their office building.

Superman the Animated series season one in one sitting.

One of the special features them going through an episode and tossing out trivia. like when jimmy first appeared, when lex appeared, then they started running out of stuff so they talked about dinosaurs because the ep contained a robotic dionsaur... then they had one that said "real dinosuars don't have video cameras and electronics in them"

then to top it all off they said "this is not a real dinosaur"

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

does superman ever die? or his he immortal, unless he gets hit with krytonite or whatever it is?

he is the only character I've known of to only die once... that was in 94. against doomsday.

doomsday.jpg

that's him in the comics a page or two before they double tko.

heres him in animated form from Justice league

doomsday.jpg

(he just got lobotomized by a paralell universe superman.)

he came back to life... took about six months for the story to progress (however there was FOUR books about superman at the time of his death. so in terms of other single books it would have taken TWO YEARS to get through that arc. Unless it was the current Fifty two series (one book per week) but yes ultimatly he did come back. and I think that his resurection played havoc and helped cause IC.

V for Vendetta was surprisingly good (despite the remarkably poor performance by Portman and the complete absence of any reference to the  anti-religious sentiments and chemical triggers of the novel).

I thought the anti-religious messages were quite explicit.

For example, politically powerful yet corrupt Catholic clergymen. Also, the news reporter repeatedly saying that those opposed to his corrupted nation were guilty of "godlessness". Moreover, although implicit, is the fact that faith in the movie is never seen in a good light, therefore presenting it in a biased manner as foolish and bad. Though it is true that faith in the wrong things can create terribly misguided miscreants, not all faith is bad like that.

Faith is especially dangerous in manifestations such as portrayed in V for Vendetta's representation of neo-Britian. The country's motivational poster, which is clearly reminiscent of 1984's, says, "Strength through Unity, Unity through Faith," which is clearly inviting of flaws and corruption, as it leaves undefined what the faith is put in. In this instance, the faith can be fluidly changed to fit one thing or another, as per the governments bidding, very similar to the government's manipulation of people 1984 (Big Brother's own propaganda that "ignorance is strength" becomes true, in that it applies only to Big Brother's hold on the people).

Considering that my beliefs in Jesus are faith-based, this could have been offensive to me. However, I enjoyed the story, because I know that people have to be dumb to think of all faith solely in the biased way it seems to be presented in V for Vendetta. Though numerous representations of faith like this can taint the minds of unreasonable people in general, such ignorance goes against the point of stories like these, which are admonishers of unreason.

Also, I agree with what Moore said in this from wikipedia:

After reading the script, Moore remarked that his comic had been "turned into a Bush-era parable by people too timid to set a political satire in their own country.... [This film] is a thwarted and frustrated and largely impotent American liberal fantasy of someone with American liberal values standing up against a state run by neoconservatives
Edited by Blank

Bananas

Plot Summary: Fielding Mellish (a consumer products tester) becomes infatuated with Nancy (a political activist). He attends demonstrations and tries in other ways to convince her that he is worthy of her love, but Nancy wants someone with greater leadership potential. Fielding runs off to San Marcos where he joins the rebels and eventually becomes President of the country. While on a trip to the states, he meets Nancy again and she falls for him now that he is a political leader.

Sleeper was Woody's first consistently funny flick, I mean, sure, the Kierkegaard joke is hilarious, the liberal vagina an annoying bitch and thus absolutely perfect, but, dear God, does it drag. On and On and On, I almost fell asleep, great quotes though,

Fielding Mellish: I love Eastern philosophy. It's... it's metaphysical, and redundant. Abortively pedantic.

Nancy: I know just what you mean!

Fielding Mellish: That's very wise, you know...? That's, I think, pithy.

Nancy: It was pithy. It had... great pith.

Fielding Mellish: Yeth. Pith.

The Killing

Plot Summary: Johnny Clay has a plan. After spending 5 years in Alcatraz, he decides that if he's going to commit crimes, the risk had better be worth the punishment. He then proceeds to mastermind a brilliant criminal scheme to steal $2,000,000 from a local racetrack in which "no one will get hurt." The only flaw in his plan is that he does not consider one of his co-horts' greedy, shrewish wife and her ruthless boyfriend. That's when something goes wrong...

Almost perfect, in fact, I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but hey, repetitive viewings+nitpicking'll probably do the trick, anyway, it's intense, smart, the script's great and, well, it's a Kubrick, what can I say, the man could direct. His best film?

Full Metal Jacket

Plot Summary: A two-segment story that follows young men from the start of recruit training in the Marine Corps to the lethal cauldron known as Vietnam. The first segment follows Joker (Modine), Pyle (D'Onofrio) and others as they progress through the hell of USMC boot-camp at the hands of the colorful, foul-mouthed Gunnery Sergeant Hartman (Ermey). The second begins in Vietnam, near Hue, at the time of the Tet Offensive. Joker, along with Animal Mother (Baldwin), Rafterman (Howard) and others, face threats such as ambush, booby traps, and Viet Cong snipers as they move through the city.

If you actually think this film's about the "Jungian Thing", well, hun, you're a pretentious prick who'd better keep his opinions to himself, or else, yeah, or else, I dunno, just keep your commie lies away from my freshly sponged earlobes, the movie's about poontang, plain and simple. Oh yeah, the second part's better than the first and Ermey's the man.

Animal Farm

Plot Summary: This film is a cartoon aaptation of George Orwell's parable expressing the founding of the USSR and the reign of Stalin. The animals are tired of being under the cruel hand of Farmer Jones (Czar Nicholas II), so Old Major (V.I. Lenin), a pig, leads a meeting declaring that man is their enemy. But when Major dies, the animals lead a successful revolt against Farmer Jones, and the animals rename Manor Farm "Animal Farm" and have their own laws. Snowball (Leon Trotsky) becomes the first president, but Napoleon (Joseph Stalin) oust him, and Napoleon and his accomplice, Squealer (propagandist) break countless rules, use TV as propaganda to warp the animals' minds, and even side with the humans! And the rules are changed, showing that all animals are equal, but some are more equal than others. Will the animals stop Napoleon, or will his downfall be soon

Pretty good adaptation|fable|parable|whatever, reckon it should be showed in schools, from an early age, get the little buggers politicised and clean of all them dirty utopian dreams, oh yeah, the added junk at the end was unnecessary.

The Conversation

Plot Summary: Harry Caul is a nationally known expert on surveillance. The Director of a large company has hired him to record the conversations of two of the Director's employees. Some years previous, Harry's work directly led to the murder of three people, and now he has reason to fear that it will happen again.

Oh man, the 70s, Hackman was the man and Coppola could still, you know, direct. Really really good, more than a match for the Godfathers and Apocalypse Now, one of best endings in all cinema, the last shot is just bloody perfect.

Querelle

Plot Summary: French sailor Querelle arrives in Brest and starts frequenting a strange whorehouse. He discovers that his brother Robert is the lover of the lady owner, Lysiane. Here, you can play dice with Nono, Lysiane's husband : if you win, you are allowed to make love with Lysiane, if you lose, you have to make love with Nono... Querelle loses on purpose...

I think Fassbinder called this his most important film, highly theatrical, multiple narrators, some great acting, buff half-naked sailors doing what buff half-naked sailors do best, some really hot scenes, Hanno P

Good stuff, Baley. You've got some of my favourite movies on that post.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Nope. Perhaps I should.

Heja Sverige!!

Sure, it's absolutely hilarious and you can be my plunderbunny afterwards. <3 <3 Unfortunately, there's not much to rob, but you can put that cute rabbit suit on, ala The Shining, and boogie till dawn.

Yes, I know the Shining suit was actually bear-shaped, no biggie, furries are all the same deep down. Don't judge.

I've been thinking of something witty and topical to reply to that, but inspiration has failed me. As such, I'm going to resort to the usual and unoriginal:

GAAAAAY....

Actually, that wasn't so bad.

Heja Sverige!!

Or perhaps, not far enough. naughty.gif

Heja Sverige!!