Movies You Have Seen Lately

Darque

V For Vendetta. I didn't really have any expectations going in to this one.  I want to call it a great film, but I think really good is a better choice.  I loved the Count Of Monte Cristo references.  Revenge for teh win!

I just bought the special edition DVD. It comes with a neat metal case. :-"

Watched Life of Brian earlier though. :blink:

Isn't Hypercube, Cube 2?

I couldn't remember the name, but I meant the 3rd one. Turns out its called Cube Zero.

Shogun Assassin

Long ago there was a great samurai warrior who served his Shogun honorably. The Shogun however grew paranoid as he became more and more senile. The Shogun sought to destroy all those who might stand to oppose his rule, and so he sent his ninja spies to the samurai's home. The ninjas failed to kill the samurai, but did kill his beloved wife. From then on, the samurai swore on his honor to seek out the Shogun and avenge the death of his love. The samurai roams the countryside with his toddler son taking on mercenary work for money until the final battle with the Shogun's three Masters of Death.

Rad.

Buy Liquid Swords.

That sounds exactly (even down to the three Masters of Death) like the story of the manga Lone Wolf and Cub. Is there a scene where the samurai has his son choose between a toy and a sword to determine if he should kill the boy or take him with him? If so, I think its probably a rendition of the same story.

Yeah, it's a movie adaptation of the manga, funnily enough.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Just tried to get through Ju On:Grudge. Although the actresses in the movie were fairly cute and so held my interest for longer than the movie otherwise would have, I ended up fast-forwarding through about 60 minutes of the 92 minute movie. Afterwards, I looked it up at imdb.com and read an interesting review about how Japanese horror movies tend to establish an overall scary mood rather than resorting to more conventional western scare tactics. Chalk it up to cultural differences I guess, but I still didn't find it a good enough movie to watch all the way through.

Also tried to watch Ultraviolet, but didn't make it through the first 30 minutes in that movie either. Needless to say it was a disappointing movie night :)

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

V For Vendetta. I didn't really have any expectations going in to this one.  I want to call it a great film, but I think really good is a better choice.  I loved the Count Of Monte Cristo references.  Revenge for teh win!

I just bought the special edition DVD. It comes with a neat metal case. :-"

Watched Life of Brian earlier though. :)

Dangit, my special edition didn't come with a metal case. My special edition of Boondock Saints did, but not V for Vendetta.

Anyway, I loved the movie. Enough to spend full price on the DVD instead of waiting for it to come down to something more reasonable.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

V For Vendetta was a weird movie for me because while I was watching it, I wasn't taking it seriously at all, (i.e.; ending every of V's sentences with 'Mr. Anderson') yet I was still completely on the edge of my seat because of the great story.

Just tried to get through Ju On:Grudge. Although the actresses in the movie were fairly cute and so held my interest for longer than the movie otherwise would have, I ended up fast-forwarding through about 60 minutes of the 92 minute movie. Afterwards, I looked it up at imdb.com and read an interesting review about how Japanese horror movies tend to establish an overall scary mood rather than resorting to more conventional western scare tactics. Chalk it up to cultural differences I guess, but I still didn't find it a good enough movie to watch all the way through.

Also tried to watch Ultraviolet, but didn't make it through the first 30 minutes in that movie either. Needless to say it was a disappointing movie night  :ermm:

It works on some people, and it doesn't on others. Personally, movies like Ju-On and Ringu make me a person who can be described with your screenname. Ju-On more so than Ringu because Ju-On made me feel very unsafe. The evil in Ju-On had no 'cure', no sacred ground to go to and no holy water to throw. If you came into contact with the grudge, you were dead.

Yeah, it's a movie adaptation of the manga, funnily enough.

It's the American version, they basically took the first 2 Lone Wolf and Cub movies, merged them together, deleted a bunch of scenes and re-wrote some of the dialogue + dubbing. The outcome's pretty awesome in a rad and unexpected way, I mean it's funny and fun and it inspired just about everyone from Carpenter to Tarantino to the Wu-Tang Clan.

"Your technique is magnificent, when cut across the neck the sound of wailing winter wind is heard they say, I have always wanted to cut a man this way to hear that sound, but to have it happen to my own neck, is ridiculous"

Dog Soldiers is so funny.

Also, it has the most elaborate set-up for a joke ever. Spoon!

I didn't find it funny at all, except for that spoon joke and the other one where the Sarge is running and gunning with his guts hanging from his belly.

Hilarious!

I can't wait to see the "sequel"

Edited by astr0creep

I was watching Highlander 3 on TV today, and I started thinking about the fact that there was supposed to be a 4th movie released many years back. I always thought Adrian Paul and the TV series were superior to the movies, although the first was decent, but I don't remember ever seeing the 4th (Endgame) out in theatres.

Anyways, I did an IMDB search and it turns out it was released way back in 2000.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0144964/#comment

I'm guessing it went straight to video, but now I'm curious to rent it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0299981/ interesting...

Edited by Hurlshot

I'm in a 'I want to watch movies that I vaguely remember watching as a kid before my parents forbid me to watch anymore and sent me away' phase.

So far I've watched Earth Girls are Easy with Jeff Goldblum, Geena Davis, Jim Carrey and Damon Wayans, Death Race 2000, David Carradine and Sly Stallone, American Werewolf in London, The Wraith, a movie where Charlie Sheen comes back in this Phantom Car to get revenge on people who killed him, Spacehunter with Michael Ironside who is a evil robot dictator who sucks the lifeforce from young nubile women, Krull which I think is a coolest movie ever and Conan the Destroyer.

What old movies should I watch next...

Conan the Barbarian and Bulleteer!

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

The one and only Red Dawn. To be honest, the plot itself is actually rather silly, or at least unrealistic. But hey, it's an 80's action flick. And I believe I remember hearing that at the time of its release it held the record for the most number of acts of violence in a movie, or something similar to that.

Red Dawn! An 80's classic! I have that on videotape. =]

I got around to watching The Edge again finally. Just as riddiculous so it's fun as I remembered. Is Bart the Bear still doing movies? What a great actor. =]

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm in a 'I want to watch movies that I vaguely remember watching as a kid before my parents forbid me to watch anymore and sent me away' phase.

So far I've watched Earth Girls are Easy with Jeff Goldblum, Geena Davis, Jim Carrey and Damon Wayans, Death Race 2000, David Carradine and Sly Stallone, American Werewolf in London, The Wraith, a movie where Charlie Sheen comes back in this Phantom Car to get revenge on people who killed him, Spacehunter with Michael Ironside who is a evil robot dictator who sucks the lifeforce from young nubile women, Krull which I think is a coolest movie ever and Conan the Destroyer.

What old movies should I watch next...

Don't you dare forget about The Goonies.