XP sp2 + soundcard problems

1st, yeah, I've googled it, still thought I'd ask here.

2nd, two questions:

1 - Anyone have an Audigy 2ZS and had weird speaker problems with sp2?

2 - Can your (analog) speakers be so ancient that the new OS patches crash when you try to connect them (cause they aren't compatible or something?)

I ask the 2nd one because at the moment my headphones seem to work fine but every time I disconnect them and try to plug in the speakers the system freezes or spontaneously reboots. If the speakers are plugged in upon reboot, there's no crash upon Windows starting, but no sound either. Odd that the headphones work. I installed newest drivers, nothing. It all worked fine before sp2. :angry:

The only maybe solution I've found so far is to uninstall drivers, remove/replace card, remove entries from the registry, reinstall drivers, but that was for a minor speaker-unrelated issue that I'm also having.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

2 - Can your (analog) speakers be so ancient that the new OS patches crash when you try to connect them

That must be the most ridiculous Windows crash. :lol: Plugging in the speakers. Holy lol.

Oh, sorry, I don

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Hehe...yeah, pretty silly.

Someone else just mentioned it might be because my speakers are powered and something blew up or something, causing a 'ground loop'. Guess I'll have to steal some old non-powered speakers from hubby's desk and see if they work.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yes I know that, meta - tho I didn't when I first bought the card and wondered why there was no sound then. :D

OK, I feel stupid now. I guess the speakers/plug/whatever just plain broke. It didn't even occur to me to think of that. Always so busy trying to find the software/driver problem, kind of the opposite of the infamous 'is it plugged in?' haha!

Oh well...

Edit: Anyone got any speakers they really like? :D

It's an excuse to update my speakers at least. Should I go for seven? :lol:

Like I know anything about speaker tech. I find out if they'd work on my PC then plug and forget 'em.

I'm staring at these. ?

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4288354

I've never understood those speakers that come in packs of.. 6? Where do you put them all? "I think I'll put a drove over here.. and a bundle over there.. the last horde goes under the desk".

I barely have room for two speakers on my desk.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

That looks a bit pricer than I'd want to spend...well, at least for walk-in prices. On-line only $80-130 difference I guess.

mkreku, that's something my hubby would likely say... :D I'm not sure I really have the best room set-up for surround, I'd have to mount them on closet doors I think. 3-speaker would probably be fine for me but they're not much cheaper for decent sets...

Well, now the headphones are going wonky and Creatives volume control auto-mutes when I close programs and other odd stuff. It's been really hot the past few days - maybe the soundcard itself is just acting up. Guess it's time for the uninstall/reinstall to see if that actually helps.

1 - Anyone have an Audigy 2ZS and had weird speaker problems with sp2?

2 - Can your (analog) speakers be so ancient that the new OS patches crash when you try to connect them (cause they aren't compatible or something?)

The only maybe solution I've found so far is to uninstall drivers, remove/replace card, remove entries from the registry, reinstall drivers, but that was for a minor speaker-unrelated issue that I'm also having.

By any chance did you recently update your Creative drivers for the Audigy2?

I had an A2ZS and a wonderful analog speaker set, and a couple months ago I made the mistake of updating the drivers/software to their newest versions. Long story short, somewhere during the auto-update the process hung up and the speakers were ruined; and the more I tweaked the settings on the card, the worse the sound got. A secondary (analog) speaker set behaved bizarrely as well.

Uninstalling/reinstalling didn't help either problem. Creative's drivers and software have become so bloated and intrusive that they leave tracks everywhere in your system; the uninstall routine doesn't touch the settings or dll's, the card just picks up where it left off. It takes a concerted search-and-destroy effort to dig all the pieces out and start fresh. By the time I finished, I didn't care anymore. I was so angry I ended up pulling the blamed thing out of my system and jumping all over it.

I now have an M-Audio sound card and music is good again (but sadly, I can't replace the speakers, as they are no longer being sold). If you read Creative's 'support' forums, there are many similar stories ... and no response.

I'd advise anyone with an older Creative card and analog speakers not to update. My daughter listened up until last week--and now her sound has gone wonky too. I'm going to kill the kid :lol: . Both of us are running SP1, BTW.

*Infanticide is not recommended, encouraged nand condoned by Creative or Obsidian. This does not affect your statuatory rights.

NAND?!?? Did you actually use NAND in an English sentence?!!? :lol:

EDIT: assuming you meant NOT (recommended, encouraged NAND condoned), where the NAND is a 3-input NAND over rec, enc and con, your expression translates to: Infanticide is recommended, encouraged AND condoned by Creative or Obsidian. Hmm, we need to fix the OR at the end into an AND somehow.

Edited by angshuman

*Infanticide is not recommended, encouraged nand condoned by Creative or Obsidian. This does not affect your statuatory rights.

As a parent, I have statutory rights? (w00t) Have to save them for the other kid, then ... unless the new card I bought her hasn't shipped yet.

NAND?!?? Did you actually use NAND in an English sentence?!!? :(

EDIT: assuming you meant NOT (recommended, encouraged NAND condoned), where the NAND is a 3-input NAND over rec, enc and con, your expression translates to: Infanticide is recommended, encouraged AND condoned by Creative or Obsidian. Hmm, we need to fix the OR at the end into an AND somehow.

Yes, I did use "nand" in an English sentence.

I'll let you work out your own interpretation, however ... :(

NAND

n noun

1 a logical operation which gives the value zero if and only if all the operands have a value of one, and otherwise has a value of one.

2 [as modifier] Electronics denoting a gate circuit which produces an output signal unless there are signals on all of its inputs.

ORIGIN

1950s: from not and.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Yes...but only after I installed sp2. I installed Creatives recent drivers because I was having trouble already. I know some people have problems w/Audigy - I didn't have any issues w/the card at all with a default XPPro installation and no updates installed. So I just think Audigy hasn't been able to/hasn't yet altered their software to work properly with Window's changes. That doesn't surprise me. More profitable to keep cranking out new cards than to make sure past ones are compatible.

I agree that Creative is overbloated - I've thought that for years. Course, I personally believe any hardware that pretty much forces you to install anything but just the drivers is bloated. :cat:

I also have some friends who say sp2 has been really wonky for them...and others who say it's all been fine. As usual I'm afraid it boils down to what system you have, your hardware (including things like motherboard blah blah), and what programs you're trying to get to run. Stuff like this occasionally makes me consider a Mac. Then I slap myself and I'm ok again. :lol:

...No offense to Mac-lovers intended, heh...

I have a Audigy 2 ZS running on a WinXP sp2 installation. Haven't toutched the sound drivers since I installed the system, but I think

I used the driver on the disc that came with the sound card. But I didn't install anything except the actual driver, so maybe the problems come from some of the bloated extra programs creative thinks you should have.

Anyway, the bottom line being I'm pretty sure it's quite possible to have sp2 and an audigy card playing nicely together.

Yes...but only after I installed sp2. I installed Creatives recent drivers because I was having trouble already. I know some people have problems w/Audigy - I didn't have any issues w/the card at all with a default XPPro installation and no updates installed. So I just think Audigy hasn't been able to/hasn't yet altered their software to work properly with Window's changes. That doesn't surprise me. More profitable to keep cranking out new cards than to make sure past ones are compatible.

I agree that Creative is overbloated - I've thought that for years. Course, I personally believe any hardware that pretty much forces you to install anything but just the drivers is bloated. ;)

I also have some friends who say sp2 has been really wonky for them...and others who say it's all been fine. As usual I'm afraid it boils down to what system you have, your hardware (including things like motherboard blah blah), and what programs you're trying to get to run. Stuff like this occasionally makes me consider a Mac. Then I slap myself and I'm ok again. :lol:

...No offense to Mac-lovers intended, heh...

One thing you might try--pull the Audigy out, and put it in another PCI slot. (No driver reinstallation is necessary). Strangely enough, this reset the sound on my daughter's machine when 'Reset to Default' didn't... or at least until I disturbed it again trying to replace her wireless card.