Kotor2 and Nietzsche

Everytime Kreia talks about Revan choosing dark/light based on what worked best for him or whenever she pushes the Exile to do things while looking beyond simple morality, I keep getting reminded of Nietzche's "Beyond Good and Evil." Especially the concept of the Superman who had the master morality.

Has anyone from Obsidian Entertainment -- especially Mr. Avellone, mentioned Nietzche as an influence?

Think Traya was basically attempting to ask the Exile to look at life outside scope of Force. Tend to consider it like not being able to understand how a way of looking at things is limiting as long as one stays trapped within its boundaries/confines. Basically having to journey beyond familiar boundaries of what a Jedi/Sith would even regard as knowledge.

If it is life outside Force, then Kreia might entertain that Force still has role for Exile, just that it is not as important as how Jedi masters see it as. Just my interpretation of it, actually. A bit like progressive abandonment of distractions, as in nirvana-related meditation.

Edited by vaxen83

Deep from within...

Victims live a life of fantasy.

Some see salvation as an act of God, a few look within for it.

朱宣澧

Everytime Kreia talks about Revan choosing dark/light based on what worked best for him or whenever she pushes the Exile to do things while looking beyond simple morality, I keep getting reminded of Nietzche's "Beyond Good and Evil." Especially the concept of the Superman who had the master morality.

Has anyone from Obsidian Entertainment -- especially Mr. Avellone, mentioned Nietzche as an influence?

Maybe, but KotOR II wouldn't be the first game to use Nietzsche's ideas of morality.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Maybe, but KotOR II wouldn't be the first game to use Nietzsche's ideas of morality.

Baldur's Gate. :)

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

I think that's a good observation; when I first played the game, I had thought that the theme of the 'Death of the Force' too was inspired by Nietzsche, though rather obliquely, of course.

It was a good theme IMO, and it fit nicely in SW. It is a nice change to focus on the death of the force, as opposed to all the other games where its the development of the force in the main character.

Interesting point actmodern.However,I am not as familiar with Nietzche as I should be.

I agree with vaxen on the reasons for Kriea's teachings,though the Exile to me seemed to already think that way.I point to the conversation with Atris,and Brianna also.

In my opinion Kotor 2 in the whole was referencing Dante and the Roman concept of the 'Body politic'.That is why I am Purgatorio.The 2nd of the Divine comedy trio. :blink:

S.A.S.I.S.P.G.M.D.G.S.M.B.

• 2 weeks later...

Superman : By this do you mean they are born into greatness rather than having it thrust upon them? In Kotor 1 Rukil says "you are marked off worlder". I don't think Kreia would approve of such a concept because it would lead to arrogance.I point to the in-head conversation with Kriea in the tomb of Ludo Kreesh.

Weakness as evil:Though I don't agree with the concept of evil ,I prefer to think evil acts are caused by ignorance. This said ,there are times when the hatred of weakness can be seen in conversations with Atris ,and others.

If said weakness results in cowardess or apathy then weakness could be considered evil ,therefore the council was evil in not acting.

S.A.S.I.S.P.G.M.D.G.S.M.B.