KotoR 3: Ideas, Suggestions, Discussion

Well... I still believe that story will be made some company like OE. La doesn't now sh*t about making RPG's IMO. And since no one is co-operating with them... :mellow:

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Bio don't want to continue it.

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Still waiting for KotOR 3.  :ermm:

If Bioware wanted to continue it, it probably would've been made by now.

That would be LucasArts. They give the Yay or Nay on it.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Still waiting for KotOR 3.  :(

If Bioware wanted to continue it, it probably would've been made by now.

if im rigth.i read that Bioware had to many games to do so they could'nt do the kotor3...

and i dont think they would have made the game so fast.it takes years to create a game you know,and it is'nt to long that we got to know that lucasart wanted to do the K3

Edited by mandalorianx

One thing that might be holding K3 back is Mass Effect. What I mean by that is that that game is going to be the most awesome, engulfing space RPG experience on the Xbox 360 with all kinds of things to explore on the fly, including derelict spaceships.

K3 will most likely start off as a 360 exclusive (just as the other 2 KOTORs started out as Xbox exclusives). There is no way MS is going to allow a space RPG oriented for the 360 to not be up to the same standards as ME. ME is setting the new bar.

Which leads to an interesting proposition: could the ME engine be used for K3? It is not based on d20 but, given everything else it has, might be the best bet for such a title.

I don't want Obsidian spending too much time developing a new engine for the game. I want them to spend their time on content.

I have a possible story idea and suggestion for KOTOR III.

The main idea for KOTOR III is that your a mysterious person traveling throughout the galaxy including Alderran, Couruscant, Telos, Taris, Kashyyyk, Korriban, Dantooine, and other planets.

KOTOR III:

The reason your traveling throughout the galaxy is because your searching for all the people that helped Revan and the Exile. Although some have died, you dont really know that. The thing is, you know or have an idea of where they are (or last seen) and possibly what they are doing. The reason you are doing this is also unkown to you, which is revealed later on in the story, of course you mite have alrdy figured it out lol. Youll meet and gather the former characters. Heres a list though not in order, of the possible planets and their status (the character's)

Alderaan - Mira - dead, but she is a jedi so her spirit meets you

Kashyyyk - Zalbarr - Chieften, he comes with you and helps you find Mission

- Hanharr (spelling?) - dead, in the shadowlands, side quest to find out

Telos - Bao-dur (without remote) - runs one of the restoration facilites, comes w/u

Couruscant - Carth - Admiral, comes w/you

- Bastilla - jedi master, one of the leaders of the jedi council

- Visas - a jedi knight

Korriban - you come here due to rumors of sith, and u find some that try to kill u

Rhen Var - The Handmaiden - she is a padawan still, but is close to becoming

jedi knight at the jedi academy on Rhen var

Ossus - disciple - although hes the keeper of the archives on couruscant, he came

to Ossus to learn more about the past

Dxun/Onderon - Mandalore - still in charge, he has preserved the mandalorian

and has created new armor

Now here are the ones I couldnt place. Juhani, Mission, Atton, HK, T3, G0-T0, and Jolee Bindo. Im thinking Atton and Mission should be smugglers working together, however they dont know about eachother's past and dont want to know until you show up ( just a coincidence hehe) and Atton is considered a rogue jedi and the order has tried to strip him of his light saber, but all they have been succesful at is puting him in Republic database as fugitive and wanted alive.  I dont want Atton flying the Ebon Hawk when you find him cause it would be kidna stupid having him and mission not knowing about eachothers past and Mission not ever asking him where and how he got the Ebon. Im wondering if Jolee Bindo should be dead, I think he played a good role as a mentor/father of Revan, so having him alive would be a good idea I think. However if hes in the jedi order I doubt he would accept the role of a council member or master.  Juhani, I have no idea, im thinking Taris or Rhen Var. T3 and HK would be together, sort of like C-3PO and R2, both in a criminal sort of business. I am wondering if i should have them piloting the Ebon Hawk and thats how you meet them. G0-T0 has been destroyed, but he put his memory and "mind" in a computer that he installed within the ebon hawk (note: he does not control the ebon)

Again, youll go throughout the galaxy finding everyone so you can go into the unkown regions (KOTOR IV) and help Revan and the Exile defeat the true sith, assuming they havent fallen to the dark side (again) and joined the sith.

Note: Hanharr was killed on Malachor V by Mira / Mass Shadow Generator if Exile was Light Side. He can't have gotten a new ship or snuck in your ship. He wanted so badly to die because Mira saved him. If Dark Sided, I have no comments. T3 does not like doing criminal business (or HK even). All Jedi from Revan and/or Exile's party would be sitting on the new Council if both player characters were Light Side. Of course, G0-T0 would have survived if Exile was Dark. Another thing. The Exile would have either remained on the Light, or joined the Dark Side only once, killing the Masters. Thus for the Exile you can't say that he fell again. Handmaiden was PROBABLY the best lightsaber duelist in Exile's party, don't say that she is still a padawan.

...Which leads to an interesting proposition: could the ME engine be used for K3? It is not based on d20 but, given everything else it has, might be the best bet for such a title...

This instigates that I re-post my humble opinion on the topic, which had gone completely ignored:

One thing that has been worrying me, is this:

Now it seems the SW saga develops in 'trilogies'----I know the novels and the comics are the big exception to this formula, but so far, with its ANH-like first episode, and the TESB-like gloominess and cliffhanger ending of its second installation, Kotor appears to obey GL's trilogy-format.

Fine, so the fans have a lot of reason to expect a third episode. One thing about trilogies, though, is that they are supposed to constitute a unity, not only of plot and characters, etc. but I guess in the case of a video game, in terms of graphic representation and gameplay as well.

So the next installation of Kotor would likely feature the same 'looks', 'feel', and 'playability'----otherwise the coherence, the unity expected in a trilogy would be disrupted. Games like GTA that unfold, more or less, a 'universe' of their own have no pretensions as to being grouped in 'Epic Trilogies'; hence in every episode, they can tinker with the game as much as they like, introducing novel features, completely new gameplay and graphics, etc.

Kotor wouldn't admit of that, I belive: And the bad news is that the 'original look and feel of the game' is getting (perhaps already has got) obsolete. If a Kotor 3 comes out that won't 'look and feel' like K1 and K2, fans will likely complain that it's something totally different, and not of the spirit of the Kotor-trilogy. On the other hand, if the next Kotor ends up being exactly like its predecessors, it will be considered backward, and surely won't attract new gamers----cool lightsaber hilts, flowing robes and badass fighting stances won't impress those who will have seen that crazy new Vader (?) game (of the u-tube fame....)

I know next to nothing about the gaming industry so do excuse my inane speculations on problems pertaining to the publishing of a new Kotor. I'm just bothered by the idea that a 3rd episode far too removed from the first two in terms of development would bring with itself plenty of oddities, as to the 'look and feel of the thing'.

So: Plano Skywalker, I think, is right that ME will set the new standard for space RPGs.

A Kotor that will fall short of that new standard will be shunned by all gamers.

If however Kotor adopts the ME-style, then it will no longer 'feel like' part of that 'Revan Trilogy'. (Imagine ANH and TESB being shot way back when they were shot, and ROTJ coming out in 2006.)

I'm almost completely convinced that a Kotor 3 will never be coming forth.

Edited by Raymond Luxury-Yacht

pronounced: Throatwobbler Mangrove

So: Plano Skywalker, I think, is right that ME will set the new standard for space RPGs.

A Kotor that will fall short of that new standard will be shunned by all gamers.

If however Kotor adopts the ME-style, then it will no longer 'feel like' part of that 'Revan Trilogy'. (Imagine ANH and TESB being shot way back when they were shot, and ROTJ coming out in 2006.)

I'm almost completely convinced that a Kotor 3 will never be coming forth.

Excellent points there Raymond...if it were up to you and I, I think we'd go for the Odyssey engine for part 3....JUST DO SOMETHING WITH THAT STORY!

however, if they do that, they would have to go PC-only because MS would not allow anything that *obsolete* to touch the 360.

KOTOR is considered a console RPG (PC ports notwithstanding) so it would have to be at least as good (gameplay-wise and graphics-wise) as Mass Effect. Well, if they go that route, then they would have to allow for more freedom and, hence, the story is not as tight. Which means that the temptation to not wrap up the Revan saga in the games becomes greater. They will hard-code Revan and the Exile eventually in the comics and have scant references to them in K3 and beyond.

I do think there will be a K3 if, for no other reason, it is one of the flagship franchises for MS's console but I doubt it will be the epic trilogy-ender many of us were hoping for....probably a brand new storyline with some allusions to Revan and the Exile.

JUST DO SOMETHING WITH THAT STORY!

Exactly----had corporations been capable of responsibility or respect towards anything but profit, I would have said that it's their responsibility to properly conclude that story. Yet as long as the publisher really doesn't care, the opinion neither of caring gamers, nor of self-respecting game developers count for anything. (Heck, Obsidian did say they'd be willing to do the sequel....)

Edited by Raymond Luxury-Yacht

pronounced: Throatwobbler Mangrove

Forget the PS3 in should come out on the 360 or PC if kotor3 ever comes out. Do you even know how much that pos is gonna cost! $600-$900 and the games are gonna be freakin $90 forget that. The games might look great but omg thats $90 a game unless you're made of money I wouldn't get it.  :(

highly doubt it. and the 500 dollar system is actually the second level of stuff you can get (like the 360, how it had the core system and a system with a HD)

Games will be about 70 I think.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Wouldn't you have to build the council again because if i remember (im probably wrong) you destroyed the order or the order was killed by darth traya. wouldn't you have to build the council again or i guess if the game starts off in the future then i guess it would of given the jedi time to rebuild themselves. Edited by bmason27

I guess it's not that easy is it?

The Jedi order is seriously wounded after Kotor II and so is the Sith who served Revan and Malak. That leaves only the True Sith that we don't really know about what they are and how strong they are.

And then, there is a reason why Luke Skywalker didn't think about rebuilding a Jedi order while the empire was still strong. It would off course draw attention to them. And he choose to build a Jedi academy on Yavin IV. If he wanted more protection he could have chosen to build it on Coruscant but he didn't.

See, rebuilding a Jedi Order is more then just building an academy, select students, teach them the ways of the force, how dangerous the dark side is, learn them history etc. etc..

Master Vandar lives!

I haven't been up on this site in ages.

But you know what cracks me up?

So this is the KOTOR 3 ideas thread, part 20.

so after TWENTY THREADS, at 47 PAGES!!!!!!!!!!!

That's roughly 20 times 47 (more or less on pages for each)

They haven't made a kotor 3 or even started it or confirmed or thought, hey, look how many people want this...we could make a **** load of money.

So I think Lucas Arts and george lucas is dead, secretly, and some disgruntled employee is hiding the bodies. Becuase George would have jumped on this money by now....

good old George doesn't even know what to do with all his millions of dollars but you are right Lord Satasn. If Obsidian could only.... develop it without permission from Lucasarts. Now that would have been great don't you think?

They would have:

1) Enough time to make the proper game.

2) They would make huge Profitssss, O wait that was the Teladi species from the X space games.

Master Vandar lives!

I'm surprised a bunch of people haven't made a fan-made, unofficial K3... There's software out there to do it... It would be just like those fan-made SW films and SW fan fiction that's constantly abundant on the internet

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

Wouldn't you have to build the council again because if i remember (im probably wrong) you destroyed the order or the order was killed by darth traya. wouldn't you have to build the council again or i guess if the game starts off in the future then i guess it would of given the jedi time to rebuild themselves.

The Jedi that the Exile trained restart the order. Three thousand years later during the war between the Republic and the Brotherhood of Darkness, there's a Jedi temple on Coruscant and everything. I've been reading the Darth Bane novel and they dont mention anything about the True Sith at all. Since that info is now carved in stone to the Star Wars story, I'm worried that Revan and the Exile were forgotten eventually. Actually, the Exile hasnt been mentioned at all in the book, only Revan has. But then again Revan was much more important to the Sith than the Exile.

Edited by Dace_Acier

Never tell me the decimal points -Space Invaders

Vader:When last we met you were the master and I the pupil. Now I am the mas- Obi:When last we met you were a noob with one arm being burned alive , you got PWNED

So I think Lucas Arts and george lucas is dead, secretly, and some disgruntled employee is hiding the bodies.  Becuase George would have jumped on this money by now....

Well, George Lucas ha absolutely nothing to do with the games LucasArts is producing. He is a film-maker, LucasArts, ILM, Skywalker Sound, etc. have their own management for a reason. As if one person has enough time to take care of every part of his company...

Guest The Architect
I haven't been up on this site in ages.

But you know what cracks me up?

So this is the KOTOR 3 ideas thread, part 20.

so after TWENTY THREADS, at 47 PAGES!!!!!!!!!!!

That's roughly 20 times 47 (more or less on pages for each)

They haven't made a kotor 3 or even started it or confirmed or thought, hey, look how many people want this...we could make a **** load of money.

So I think Lucas Arts and george lucas is dead, secretly, and some disgruntled employee is hiding the bodies.  Becuase George would have jumped on this money by now....

Umm...the topic isn't called 'KotOR 3: Ideas, Suggestions, Discussion' for nothing. You're likely to get a lot of posts from fans wanting a KotOR III when you start up a topic that has anything to do with KotOR III :shifty: What's the point of this? You're likely to make an inaccurate conclusion based on a 'biast perspective', capish?

I'm no expert, I could be wrong (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but aren't the KotOR games (on a financial basis) not as successful as other Star Wars games? I think that...

A) Senseless, button mashing Star Wars games with reasonable graphics are easier to make than CRPG's...

B) Senseless, button mashing Star Wars games with reasonable graphics cost less to make than CRPG's...

C) Senseless, button mashing Star Wars games with reasonable graphics make more profits than the KotOR games...

I'm probably wrong, but the points A, B and C that I've made are just educated guesses of mine, I'm just assuming they're correct, I'm not sure if they are...

Edited by The Architect

excellent points, Architect. The mindless button-smasher is what sells. Thankfully, BioWare was tasked with creating the first KOTOR. What I mean by that is that they had the muscle to say "back off!!!" when the suits wanted to water that down for a quick profit. BioWare was determined to use KOTOR to take cRPGs to the next level and they succeeded.

there are different things at work, though. LA/LFL is aware that there are too many Star Wars games and they are determined to limit the number of SW titles at any one time. And, as previously mentioned, nobody is going to go anywhere near a space RPG until they see Mass Effect and see how well that sells.

and if ME sells well (which I expect it to), then it becomes all but inevitable that any future KOTOR has to offer about the same graphics, freedom, and gameplay as ME, since KOTOR is primarily a console title.

And that would be sweet: have Obisidian write KOTOR 3 using the ME engine under license. This time, they have an actual studio and will have all the necessary ingredients (such a texture artists, QA, etc).

Guest The Architect
excellent points, Architect.  The mindless button-smasher is what sells.  Thankfully, BioWare was tasked with creating the first KOTOR.  What I mean by that is that they had the muscle to say "back off!!!" when the suits wanted to water that down for a quick profit.  BioWare was determined to use KOTOR to take cRPGs to the next level and they succeeded.

there are different things at work, though. LA/LFL is aware that there are too many Star Wars games and they are determined to limit the number of SW titles at any one time.  And, as previously mentioned, nobody is going to go anywhere near a space RPG until they see Mass Effect and see how well that sells.

and if ME sells well (which I expect it to), then it becomes all but inevitable that any future KOTOR has to offer about the same graphics, freedom, and gameplay as ME, since KOTOR is primarily a console title.

And that would be sweet: have Obisidian write KOTOR 3 using the ME engine under license.  This time, they have an actual studio and will have all the necessary ingredients (such a texture artists, QA, etc).

Yes, that would be awesome. I'm sorry I forgot to PM you in regards to my KotOR III story, since I know you wanted to read it. I forgot all about you :"> . Note that I've only completed the introduction and part one of my KotOR III story so far, but here's the link...

http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=170875

Can anyone tell me where the Sith homeworld, Kiosk is mentioned? I've seen posts mentioning it here. Maybe in a novel? or simply Internet babble? I have a fairly large SW Galaxy map made, since I GM a pen&paper RPG for friends. Site that had the map is closed now, but I had Kinko's print it when I found it before, so I have it laminated and hanging on my wall in my gaming room. Just curious is all, if they do make KOTOR3 and pay attention to what is posted on the different forums, I'm curious where its found. I assume its in the unknown regions, but it could be in another galaxy altogether. The Vong obviously came from another galaxy, appearing near Helska to begin with(much later of course).

The map I have has around 200 plenets or so on it, which isnt complete. Places from different era's arent shown, like Malachor, etc. Possibly since Malachor was destroyed or not even created before KOTOR games.

Can anyone tell me where the Sith homeworld, Kiosk is mentioned? I've seen posts mentioning it here. Maybe in a novel? or simply Internet babble? I have a fairly large SW Galaxy map made, since I GM a pen&paper RPG for friends. Site that had the map is closed now, but I had Kinko's print it when I found it before, so I have it laminated and hanging on my wall in my gaming room. Just curious is all, if they do make KOTOR3 and pay attention to what is posted on the different forums, I'm curious where its found. I assume its in the unknown regions, but it could be in another galaxy altogether. The Vong obviously came from another galaxy, appearing near Helska to begin with(much later of course).

The map I have has around 200 plenets or so on it, which isnt complete. Places from different era's arent shown, like Malachor, etc. Possibly since Malachor was destroyed or not even created before KOTOR games.

Kiosk, or Ziost?

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.