KotoR 3: Ideas, Suggestions, Discussion

You realize how DATED the current graphics engine looks?

K3 has not been confirmed as coming out at all. If it did it'd probably still be two or three years down the pike as they have done NO work on it at all.

In all fairness thats just your opinion. We dont know if there has been work done on it, you dont know that there hasnt. And you cant say "Well if there was work being done on it we'd know" as proof. So just for the sake of fairness, I'm correcting your statement o:)

Personally, I think the reason we havnt heard from LA about Kotor3 yet, is because it's going to be something alot bigger then anyone thinks. I think they're gonna do something that will define the Kotor series as the ultimate game in Star Wars history. Not to mention making it the biggest series to continue with for the future.

I think they're gonna do something in Kotor 3 that will allow them to continue on to make several more titles of the game. Maybe they'll do something where Revan gets transported into the waaaay future, or who knows what. But I think its gonna blow everyones socks off when it comes out, and I dont think Kotor 3 will be the last title in the Kotor series.

and our beloved devs here saying quite specifcally that "we are not working on Kotor 3" doesn't prove my statement?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

No, frankly it doesnt mate. Just cause a forum admin from Obsidian says "We are not working on Kotor3" does not prove that the game is not under-way.

Obsidian might not even be the ones to make the game, so if thats the case then "duh" of course we havnt started on it cause we're not even gonna be the ones to make it!

Not saying there is no way he's right, I'm just saying there is no way you can KNOW that the game isnt under-way as we speak.

"The dimmest light can shatter the darkest night, and the light I carry is in no way dim."

benjamin1kn.jpg

:geek: I loved Kotor 2, so it would be very bad if Obsidian is not woking on Kotor 3. Kotor 2 is one of the best games I ever player.

I have a feeling the will get someone else to do it.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

" Revan was power and it was like staring into the heart of the force."

No, frankly it doesnt mate. Just cause a forum admin from Obsidian says "We are not working on Kotor3" does not prove that the game is not under-way.

Obsidian might not even be the ones to make the game, so if thats the case then "duh" of course we havnt started on it cause we're not even gonna be the ones to make it!

Not saying there is no way he's right, I'm just saying there is no way you can KNOW that the game isnt under-way as we speak.

I can tell you I KNOW that no one is working on K3 at the current time. This means that the game, if ever even done at all, will not be coming out next year. Nor will it be coming out in '08. If we ever see a K3, it will be released in '09 or, as I said before 2010 at the latest. I'm taking into account a two year development cycle since the game will be on an all new platform with an all new graphics engine. Not to mention putting together what I would assume to be an all new crafting system with new skill sets and also a new Workbench Interface system. KOTOR if done right, is a massive game. KOTOR if done improperly (read KOTOR 2) is a half-finished product that leaves the player feeling like their play experience was incomplete.

If the game is announced next year, you have to assume it will not be out a year from that announcement. It'll take two years at least to deliver a KOTOR game worthy of it's name. And sorry, but that's just not the LA way. They'd much rather pump out Legos Star Wars and Battlefront Star Wars games that are relatively easy to make, don't require much thought to play them, are exclusively aimed at the 8 and under crowd, are extremely easy to market for, and will be out by Christmas with the next one after that already in the works.

That's how it works with LA.

first off even new video games on the new systems don't take that long. Most GOOD games take a year tops to make. Halo 2 was an exception and really I think it was done along time before released but they just wanted to get everyone hyped up so much that it sold 125 mil opening day. But seruisly I doubt it would take 2 years to make the game. Year tops. But still........ This is BAD news. KOTOR2 left us in the middle of something huge and now it may never be completed.

Duh, "Sidious was strongest sith lord in his time" my ass, he was the only sith lord
- Xard

first off even new video games on the new systems don't take that long. Most GOOD games take a year tops to make. Halo 2 was an exception and really I think it was done along time before released but they just wanted to get everyone hyped up so much that it sold 125 mil opening day. But seruisly I doubt it would take 2 years to make the game. Year tops. But still........ This is BAD news. KOTOR2 left us in the middle of something huge and now it may never be completed.

I'm sorry OPG but your deluded...

the one year development cycle was HORRIBLY short and is the reason why most of K2 is unfinished.

NWN2 has been in development for close to two years now.

Final Fantasy has been going for two

MGS4 will be running for I think about 4 years by the time it comes out.

Warcraft Three was in development for close to 5 years

Superman returns had a dev cycle set for (I think) a year and a half but that's been delayed.

Fable was extremly long

Prey has been worked on in various forms for close to fourteen years.

Halflife two was going for 6 years (plus Delays)

and Force Unleashed probably won't be out until winter '08 spring 09.

the only ones that have a year long dev cycle are those that are either A) buggtastic B) using the same basic concept and engine consistantly (read most sports games and Dynasty Warriors) or C) games that don't require alot of changes to make work (lego star wars II.. uses everything like it's predecessor except with a few cosmetic changes and new level design)

armata_PDT_40.gif

Edited by Calax

I'm sorry OPG but your deluded...

the one year development cycle was HORRIBLY short and is the reason why most of K2 is unfinished.

NWN2 has been in development for close to two years now.

Final Fantasy has been going for two

MGS4 will be running for I think about 4 years by the time it comes out.

Warcraft Three was in development for close to 5 years

Superman returns had a dev cycle set for (I think) a year and a half but that's been delayed.

Fable was extremly long

Prey has been worked on in various forms for close to fourteen years.

Halflife two was going for 6 years (plus Delays)

and Force Unleashed probably won't be out until winter '08 spring 09.

the only ones that have a year long dev cycle are those that are either A) buggtastic B) using the same basic concept and engine consistantly (read most sports games and Dynasty Warriors) or C) games that don't require alot of changes to make work (lego star wars II.. uses everything like it's predecessor except with a few cosmetic changes and new level design)

armata_PDT_40.gif

Dude it took obsidian like 8 months to make the second one and mabey 1 year or more for the first. It's not like they always come out with the game right after they finish it. Most games are made in about a 1 year mabey less. Some huge projects may take longer yes but still..... Also half life 2 was not being worked on HEAVILY for all that 6 years. When you put all the time together they could of got Half Life 2 done in 2 years.

Duh, "Sidious was strongest sith lord in his time" my ass, he was the only sith lord
- Xard

Dude it took obsidian like 8 months to make the second one and mabey 1 year or more for the first. It's not like they always come out with the game right after they finish it. Most games are made in about a 1 year mabey less. Some huge projects may take longer yes but still..... Also half life 2 was not being worked on HEAVILY for all that 6 years. When you put all the time together they could of got Half Life 2 done in 2 years.

your just going from the date that the game was announced on... the time it was actually worked on was much longer. If you pick six games at random from gamespot you can probably find news about those games starting a year before their release. Development would have had to go on much longer than that to actually have somthing newsworthy.

And yes, Valve was working full time on HL2 for at least four years while keeping counterstrike updated.

There is a very old saying... "We shall see what we shall see"

When it happens, we'll know, and then we can settle this whole ordeal once and for all. But my money is on the game being released either in 07 or 08. And mate, while I'm sure you're very certain of what you think you know, there is really no way that you can know for sure if the game is in the works or not.

"The dimmest light can shatter the darkest night, and the light I carry is in no way dim."

benjamin1kn.jpg

My thoughts on K3.

Just hope that third game does not have some conversations where NPCs simply believe that you are a Jedi simply due to that they know you are a Jedi. In other words, instead of taking your word that you are a force user, either Sith/Jedi, require some show or evidence of it. So that character is given some sort of task to perform, and has another occasion to see same NPC another time afte finding something to show to that NPC. Instead of simply saying "Yes, I believe you are a Jedi." Might be something like "How do I know you are a Jedi?" instead, like how Bastila questioned Revan's dedication to LS in K1 assuming PC was lightsided while battling her on Star Forge.

If not, it would be something like this:

Enter Female Exile as madam and Batono as black sheep:

Female Exile: "Ba ba, black sheep have you any wool?"

Batono: Yes, mam. Yes, mam, three bags full. One for my Jedi master and one for me lame. And one for my little slave who lives down the lane.

Its a yes story again.

Deep from within...

Victims live a life of fantasy.

Some see salvation as an act of God, a few look within for it.

朱宣澧

Obsidian was starting to work on KOTOR II before the work on the first one was finished. Even if you take the PC-release of KOTOR as the latest date they were working on it, which is too late, you are still talking about at least one year of work on KOTOR II.

The first one had a much longer development circle, at least two, maybe up to three years. The game was supposed to be released in late 2002 for xbox, and spring 2003 for PC. They announced in August 2002, roughly one year before the final xbox-release, that the game would be delayed until summer 2003.

The official site on that project already had screenshots, concept art and models online in march 2002. You don't have an own site for a new game right away, not to mention that there is quite a way from concept art to screenshot, especially if you have to develope/change the whole engine for what you need.

Hardly any games takes a year or less to produce. Unless it is a yearly product, or only half a game. I haven't seen a big release done in a year for quite some time. KOTOR II had the advantage of an established engine, which took away the need to work from scratch, yet it was pressed in a schedule that was way too tight, and it still took over a year to produce. That alone should tell you, that a one-year development circle is not even close to being the norm.

Edited by Dark Wastl

Around 5 years ago, a game took 2 years to do (IIRC)

I'm sure that by now, with all the graphics enhancements and all the other technical stuff, it'll take at least 3-4 years

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

There is a very old saying... "We shall see what we shall see"

When it happens, we'll know, and then we can settle this whole ordeal once and for all.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Wrong.

Games typically take more than a year to make. The only exceptions come when they can license technology and/or otherwise use preexisting technology, like KOTOR 2. Even then, look at the issues a game like KOTOR 2 has with such a short development time.

Furthermore, just because you haven't heard of a game yet, doesn't mean it isn't in development. Half-Life 2 (since it was brought up) was started shortly after the release of Half-Life, which came out in late 1998. But it was only announced for two years. As for them being able to make the game in two years, not a chance. Is it any surprise that games like Half-Life 2 and Doom 3, which require brand new, state of the art engines, have development times of 4+ years? (hint, no it's not).

Unless it's a cookie cutter licensee/sequel, games take a long time to make.

True. But remember, Kotor 2 came out in 2004. At that point I think LucasArts had every intention of making a 3rd release. If only for the sake of finishing the trilogy. Thus they likely started work on it in early 2005. Let me see here... 2005 2006 2007.... So yeah, I'm thinking we'll hear something about it at the end of this year, and probobly will see it in either late 2007 or early 2008.

benjamin1kn.jpg

They(Lucas) already gave one team the boot, I doubt the game is anywhere near pre-prodution without a dev.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

True. But remember, Kotor 2 came out in 2004. At that point I think LucasArts had every intention of making a 3rd release. If only for the sake of finishing the trilogy. Thus they likely started work on it in early 2005. Let me see here... 2005 2006 2007.... So yeah, I'm thinking we'll hear something about it at the end of this year, and probobly will see it in either late 2007 or early 2008.

Anything is possible but not probable.

given that kotor is so big I'd think that we would have heard news if they started development.

given that kotor is so big I'd think that we would have heard news if they started development.

Half-Life was huge too. In fact, it was way bigger than both KOTORs combined. But it took us 4 years to even learn that Half-Life 2 even existed.

Edited by alanschu

We've got two obvious sides here. The sceptics and the optomists. I dont have a problem with either. What I have a problem with is one side or the other saying "We ARE right and you ARE wrong" when there's really no way to know.

benjamin1kn.jpg

Half-Life was huge too. In fact, it was way bigger than both KOTORs combined. But it took us 4 years to even learn that Half-Life 2 even existed.

cept valve wasn't always hyping their "newest" thing (which k3 would be a part of)