Warcry at Obsidian Part 1: Toolset

funcroc

I don't want to hear anyone complain about how Obsidian is a small, second rate company, anymore. 100+ employees, and still growing. They are now one of the bigger developers. So, anyone who thinks that them devceloping ready made million + sellers 'hands me downs' was the wrong way to go should admit that they were wrong.

And, oh, nice little article. Too bad that we knew most of the info already. Heh. But, still all info is good. :)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I don't want to hear anyone complain about how Obsidian is a small, second rate company, anymore. 100+ employees, and still growing. They are now one of the bigger developers. So, anyone who thinks that them devceloping ready made million + sellers 'hands me downs' was the wrong way to go should admit that they were wrong.

And, oh, nice little article. Too bad that we knew most of the info already. Heh. But, still all info is good. :p

Obs has regained their big dog status. :)

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

"Obs has regained their big dog status."

Regained? They never had it before. They've only made one game so far, afterall. :("

The former Black Isle Studios employees who work for Obs.

I think Obsidian's much bigger than just BIS now. The ex BIS employees could even be the minority % of the company now.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

"The former Black Isle Studios employees who work for Obs."

At last count, I believe the percentage of former BIS employees that made up Obsidian was around 25%. I'd be shocked if that % has remained the same or even incrased since.

And, while it's true that the Obsidian big wigs are basically all ex BISers, it still doesn't change the fact that it's nwoehre near the same company as BIS.

Two different companies. BIS was a 'big dog'; Obsidian never was espicially considering they're pretty new games wise. Please don't pull a Troika fanboy and mix up Obsidian and BIS like they mix up Troika and Fallout.

It be like me saying if Gaider (and some of his BIo friends) left and made their own company that somehow BIO Part 2.

Obsidian should be treated as its own company as that's exactly what it is. It's sucesses, and failures are its own.

:(

Irrelevant. It's like saying that it was the "NY Oilers" who won the Cup in '94 just because a nice percentage of the team was made up of ex Oilers. There's no denying the Obsidian Big Wigs' ties to BIS; but they are NOT BIS. In fact, I think it belittles Obsidian's current efforts espicially all those who never worked at BIS. Obsidian is a brand new company (relatively speaking since they're a few years old now); not some old, dead failure.

Obsidian is alive, and well crafting awesome OBSIDIAN games. :cool:

I agree with Vol. BIS was great, but Obsidian has moved out of the BIS shadow. I'm sure the people who went out and took a chance on a new company would rather move beyond BIS. Obsidian is a new company. Maybe it was built on a foundation of BIS practices, principles, and talent, but now it is Obsidian. To tie Obsidian to the glory of BIS means that we must tie Obsidian to the downfall as well.

The goal of Obsidian is not to be as great as BIS. It is to be greater. It's to move beyond the shadow of the past into a bright new future.

God, I love cliches.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!