Syd Barrett is dead

Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Who's Syd Barrett?

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Who's Pink?

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

What's Pink Floyd?

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

I honestly thought he died years ago. Crazy junkie.

It's sad what happened to the guy, but PF was better off without him.

I mean, come on, "Bike" was a terrible song.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Is he the one with the stupid mustache?

Overrated British Rock Band who paled in comparison to the eternal glory of The Fugs.

The same can be said about the Beatles compared to *insert band name here*, but no one can deny the influence they had on music either.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I still say that's one goofy lookin mustache.

Sure. And I wasn't denying no nothing. Then again there's good influence and there's bad influence. You haven't actually listened to The Fugs, have you?

Ofcourse not, i'm your regular uneducated jock when it comes to music :blink:

Still, RIP Syd Barrett.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I was half-joking. Overrated doesn't equal bad. And, if you notice, I didn't actually make a statement regarding the type of influence they exerted. That said, almost everything pales in comparison to the eternal glory of the Fugs and The Madcap Laughs' a pretty good album.

It's a shame what happened to Syd, I hope his latter years had some enjoyment. Although I prefer Gilmour-era Floyd, his influence on the band is not to be ignored. I just watched the new Pulse DVD last night too... :blink:

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif

*sings*

It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here

And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear

That I'm not here.

And I never knew we could be so thick

And I never knew we could be so blue

And I'm grateful that you threw away my old shoes

And brought me here instead dressed in red

Barrett-era Pink Floyd is a completely different beast than Waters/Gilmoure-era PF. Ive listened a lot to Syd Barretts work with Pink FLoyd aswell as his two solo albums, it has some interesting quirks but it just gets bloody annoying to listen to after a while.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

overrated or not, dark side of the moon, a sort of tribute to syd in many ways, was on the top 100 list for album sales longer than any other.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

i disagree with the article's assessment that syd lost it because of too much LSD. as noted in numerous interviews (band members, friends, syd himself), he was likely schizophrenic and the LSD only made it worse. i.e. it wasn't what caused his breakdown.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Still, the effects of LSD and other psychoactive drugs on the brain in the case of a "bad trip" is very similar to that of a schizophrenic psychosis. And the synapses and whatnot that gets randomly connected in the brain during such a psychosis does not necessarily disconnect when the drug wears off. Repeated use of LSD could make anyone begin to display symptoms of schizophrenia. But in Syd Barrets case, he had a histoy of mental illness before that.

It was quite tragic and somewhat ironic what happened when Pink Floyd was recording "Wish you were here" which is much more about Barrett than "Dark side of the moon". Syd Barrett visited the studio, but was in such bad shape that his former band members barely recognised him, and he was also incoherent and in th end they had to throw him out so they could continue to work on the record that was mean as a tribute to him.

edit: why did that come out like Ive copied&pasted it from some website? I really didnt. Am I imagining things? ..am I slipping into the clutches of madness? Eeeeek! :p

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The ship has sailed on your madness, Kaftan. As for your post, it's just a well written reflection on the topic at hand. Maybe that's why it doesn't sound like you. hahahahaha :Eldar's poking good natured fun at Kaftan icon:

One good side effect of reading your post: I'm now listening to Wish You Were Here.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!