Titan Quest?

I found this game listed under the RPG section on my usual retailers site and a guy from Uni who was at E3 was apparently very impressed with what he saw of it there.

But it doesnt seem like an RPG at all from the description, more like some action game. Has anyone tried it?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Basically, a Diablo clone. Don't waste your time.

Thats what I thought. Its a straight giveaway when they, in the description, go on and on about skills, equipment and levelling but not a word about story or anything like that.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

There's not much of a story to the game and it's told in much the same way as it was in Diablo 2, through little snippets of dialog the NPCs give you. It only has two videos though, one for the intro and one for the beginning of the game, none for in between the different lands.

The game play is hack & slash to the core, nothing more nothing less. The game doesn't feel as varied as Diablo 2, after only a short time most of the enemies start feeling very similar as well as do the levels. The levels are all done by hand so while they often have a nice amount of polish on them, they're very static. Once I got to the third land, I ended up rushing through because I was getting bored and wanted see the game end. The ending wasn't very good though.

It also lacked the biggest feature that Diablo 2 had for me, a service like closed Bnet. Even though it wasn't a very enjoyable experience I still played it for over 30 hours and believe I got my moneys worth. I might pick it off the shelf to play again if there are any good mods made for it.

Fun game if you enjoy a click-fest. Like some people have said, the game plays pretty much like Diablo and if you like those sort of games then you'll have fun with TQ. What I love about the game so far is character customization. You basically choose a primary class(i.e. caster, fighter, rogue, healer, or ranger) and then at level 8 you can pick a secondary class. So, it makes for some unique character builds. Loot in the game is done pretty much like Diablo in that you have your "blues", "purples", "oranges" etc. which basically represent the rarity of the item you find. There are armor sets which give you bonuses just like in Diablo.

My 2 biggest gripes so far are the save system and no way to rotate the camera. The save system consists of saving the game and that's it -- you click save and the game saves where you're at. I would have liked to have multiple save slots because if I screw up along the way I don't have to restart the whole f-ing game.

My second gripe is the camera -- the game is presented in 3D and you can zoom in and out on your character but it doesn't allow you to rotate the camera which presents some problems in certain areas. Why this wasn't a feature, I have no idea. Aside from those 2 things the game is fun if you like this sorta thing.

I've never really played a Diablo clone extensively (except Sacred, but that doesn't count because it had horses!!). I'm a little intrigued by those colour coded loot thingies. I remember the feeling of excitement I got whenever I found something purple (or even blue) in World of Warcraft, and I imagine it's the same thing in a Diablo clone. Of course, if you found something purple in WoW, it usually meant you could sell it for several hundreds of gold in the auction house, something which might not be possible in a single player experience :p

But from what I've read from this thread, Karka, Setzer and LostStraw all bought this game..? Why do you buy games that you know are Diablo clones when you obviously seem to dislike the genre so much?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

But from what I've read from this thread, Karka, Setzer and LostStraw all bought this game..? Why do you buy games that you know are Diablo clones when you obviously seem to dislike the genre so much?

Like myself, they probably downloaded the demo. Now as to why one would d/l a demo when they know it's a Diablo clone of uber suckage, I can't say. I only downloaded it way back when there was scant info on this "epic Greek mythological RPG," and was curious - yet ultimately unfortunate - to experience the hype.

manthing2.jpg

I've never really played a Diablo clone extensively (except Sacred, but that doesn't count because it had horses!!). I'm a little intrigued by those colour coded loot thingies. I remember the feeling of excitement I got whenever I found something purple (or even blue) in World of Warcraft, and I imagine it's the same thing in a Diablo clone. Of course, if you found something purple in WoW, it usually meant you could sell it for several hundreds of gold in the auction house, something which might not be possible in a single player experience :p

I never said I didn't like Diablo. I said, if you don't like click-fests then you won't like this game. I think the game is fun, just wish it had a better save system and I could rotate the camera 360 degrees.

I enjoyed Diablo 2 greatly, mostly it's mini mmorpg characteristics with it's closed Bnet service (I spent many hours playing that game). I played the Titan quest demo and liked it, when I bought the game I was expecting it to be different then how it turned out. Most notably I was expecting it to be a little more varied and have more of a replay value, which Diablo 2 gave me in spades.

I'm playing the game with a friend over a network and it's very fun toplay like that. But it's extremely unstable in multiplayer, it crashes quite frequently. Still, it's fun enough to make up for it.

But yeah, it's a hack-fest.

• 1 month later...

Hmm, I'm still considering this title. I'll try the demo, but frankly, I rarely make a decision off of a demo. Usually I'm sold before I try the demo and only play it until I get the chance to pick up the retail version. On the other hand, if the demo is really terrible, I'll not buy the full retail. If the demo is good, then I won't count on anything new or different in the retail version.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I enjoyed it.

There was something cool about exploring the Pyramid of Giza and running along the Great Wall.

I went through as an Elementalist solo (it's getting hard at the end game with the second difficulty), and my roommate and I recently finished up the game on Normal, and have started questing away on the next difficulty level. I have an assassin in that game, and his DPS is through the roof!

It's really an excellent Diablo clone. I don't consider that an insult, it's just a gametype. Some people dig it, some don't. I miss the awesome FMV scenes and battlenet, but I'd say the classes and uniques setting make up for that. It really was great playing a game set in Ancient Greece, instead of all the medieval style games.

Personally, I put in 20 hours before I got tired of the endless killing. But I enjoyed those 20 hours, and don't regret buying it.

Personally, I put in 20 hours before I got tired of the endless killing.  But I enjoyed those 20 hours, and don't regret buying it.

that's my relationship with Dynasty Warriors.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

It was fun enough to make me complete it on Normal level. Including the spontaneous crashes every now and then. But to go through it on nightmare and Hell difficulty - with spontanous crashes - just isn't my cup of tea.

Maybe if they release enough patches to make it somewhat playable without random crashes and slowdowns I might pick it up again.

Bugs? Klingon Software does not have 'Bugs'. It has FEATURES and they are too sophisticated for a Romulan pig like you to understand!

HK-47: "Recitation: First, weapon selection is critical. If I see one more idiot attacking a Jedi with a blaster pistol, then I'll kill them myself."

HK-47: "Answer: Select grenades, sonic screamers, cluster rockets and plasma charges. Mines are also effective, since many Jedi will run to meet you in hand to hand combat. Silly Jedi."

Is there a place to legitimately buy this for download? Direct 2 Drive didn't have it.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I saw it in the store the other day while buying other things. You'd be surprised at how long I'll dither over something as small as a game purchase. I don't know. I'll probably pick it up the next time I'm out.

Obsidian Plays

I think it's great fun still. I've completed it twice on normal (one solo and one with a friend on LAN) and I'm still playing on Epic as well as creating new characters to try out new things.

The thing that the game does absolutely best is the character development. Since you get to chose two skill masteries, there are a lot of options in how to create your character.

The only bad thing about the game is that it uses predefined maps rather than random ones. While it allows for really gorgeous terrain, it may lessen replayability a bit. When you're running through the same map for the tenth time it could be a bit much. Although the gameplay and character development are still fun enough to make up for it.

(oh yeah, some people have been complaining about the lack of something that resembles battle.net and a ladder system. personally I never cared much for anything like that, but it's still not in the game)

So yeah, if you like hack & slash, this is a great game.

There are also a few independent mods worth checking out. Most importantly one called TQVault. It allows you to share equipment between your characters and provides a place to store stuff you don't want to be lugging along (such as set items). Something like this should have been in the original game I think and the devs have said they're working on it.

They are still fairly active at the games forum and seem to listen to the players, which is always a plus.