Laptop, or Desktop?

Dark Moth

Okay, so I'm going to college, alright? And my family and I are looking into computers. Right now, I have a few ideas of what I want, but I'm still having some trouble deciding if I should get a laptop or a desktop. Right now I'm sort of leaning towards a laptop because they're portable and I'd be able to easily take it home with me. On the other hand, they're not as powerful, I don't like using the mousepad, and they are also easier to steal. Any suggestions? ;)

it depends on what you wanna use the thing for.. the laptop has the advantage that you can make your homework anywhere you want- cafe, at school etc.. but if you plan on doing that at home, and generally want to play the newest games on it when they come out .. go for a desktop .. they can be upgraded a little easier! ;)

Fortune favors the bald.

For the ability to work on projects in a variety of places, including the coffee shop and the library, I'd definitely say the laptop. Get a good bag for your laptop, maybe one of the ones that looks like a backpack, only sturdier. Then get a mouspad and mouse for it. My laptop, which has served me very well for writing and visiting these boards, has a good number of USB ports and an ATI mobile video card. It's heavy, to be sure, but you want to have some versatility. If you're off to college, then it might have to serve as entertainment also. I don't tend to play a lot of video games on my laptop, but it's capable. In fact, get one that can play DVDs and you'll be able to watch movies.

Good luck at school, Mothman! I'd go for the laptop, for sure, but I'd take Surreptishus' advice about the insurance. I've never had a problem with mine, but I've got all my work on it. Between all my projects, over a thousand pages of work. I can't insure that. So, get the insurance, but as you complete work, you've just got to be really careful. I'd suggest following a careful ritual in carrying, unpacking, and unpacking your laptop. It's a pain, but you don't want to lose all of your academic efforts. At some point, the laptop will be easier to replace than your papers, projects, and personal information.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

It depends. If inferior screen resolution isn't a problem and/or you are willing to pay several hundred extra for comparable performance than get a Laptop.

I would particularly get a laptop if you plan on traveling a lot (i.e. conferences) and need to keep up with your email even on travel..etc.

Otherwise, I would get a Desktop. For most undergraduate students, there is no real reason to get a laptop. The only real reason to have one in college is if you are one of those that like typing notes during class...

Most schools have sizable and easily accesible computer laboratories that make lugging around a portable computer everywhere ill-advised.

EDIT: As for laptops being useful for doing homework anyplace you wish, that is only true if the homeworks in your intended major are mostly of the type where you can just do on a laptop (essays, compositions..etc).. If you are a literature major I can see it possibly being of some benefit although for me I just prefer to work at home.

OTOH, if you are an architecture, engineering, or physics major a laptop won't really help you here since most of their assignments are usually done by hand.

Overall, I'd say for undergrad it is probably better to get a desktop. It is slightly more justifiied to go for a laptop in grad school.... Certainly when you are a professional in your field...Wait until then.

Edited by Lancer

image002.gifLancer

Do what I did and get both :thumbsup:

Having a laptop is great for those boring 3hour lectures that you have to attent but they never say **** worth knowing. The trick is to sit far in the back and have discreet earphones.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Mothman is a conservative, right? That means his parents are likely loaded... or just very stupid.. but lets think positive, shall we? :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

This is what I would do. I would get a basic syustem laptop that handle the utility programs you will need for school. Nothing fancy, nothing overly uber, but very functional. You won't need to spend a whole lot of money for something like that.

Then get a baseline desktop that is highly upgradable that way you make use the components you need for gaming, resource heavy utility programs, and the such.

I would definitely get a desktop for many reasons. Let me also preface this by saying I was in your exact situation not too long ago, and my desktop got me through college. It broke a few times, but I was able to fix it cheaply.

1. Stability - A desktop is more stable, easier to fix independantly or with the help of someone in the dorms, and will last long enough to get you through school. A laptop will only last 2 years before starting to have issues, especially if you play any games on it.

2. Convenience - Laptops are a concern, not only because of theft. Lugging it around may seem easy at first, but you will find yourself doing this less and less. The battery will only last 3 hours, and finding an outlet isn't always easy.

3. Convenience pt. 2 - It sounds like you will be in the dorms, so you will have a nice little closet...err...room for your desktop. Seriously, Dorm rooms always have a desk for your computer. If you are worried about hauling it home on the breaks, use the money you save on a desktop to buy a flatscreen moniter. That's the heaviest part of a desktop computer anyways.

4. Power - You may think you will be all business at college, and I admire that, but it's BS. You will be playing games. You will want that extra juice that a desktop offers. I did two things at college, I worked harder than I ever had, and I played harder than I ever had. You have time for both, just do the former first.

I was going to argue against your points, Hurlshot, but it occurs to me that I've got a laptop and three desktops in my house. It's not exactly like I've ever had to do with just a laptop.

If you can go both, then I can say it did well for me. If you have to choose one or the other, then maybe Hurlshot and Lancer have better insight.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

If your pockets are deep enough to get both, then get both. Otherwise, if you must pick one your safest bet is with a Desktop for the reasons that Hurlshot and I have already given.

image002.gifLancer

Do what I did and get both :thumbsup:

Having a laptop is great for those boring 3hour lectures that you have to attent but they never say **** worth knowing. The trick is to sit far in the back and have discreet earphones.

I did this. It was fun playing Grand Theft Auto during my senile professor's lecture.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

Thanks for the suggestions thus far, guys. Unfortunately I don't have the money to get both (hence the reason for this thread), otherwise I probably would. I'm still thinking about it, but now I'm starting to lean more towards a desktop. And with the classes I'm taking, I probably won't have that much time to be gaming anyway, especially during class. :thumbsup: But thanks for the help.