G3_75.jpg

G3_76.jpg

G3_77.jpg

G3_78.jpg

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Those look really nice! Especially the fire rain one. *dashes off to research the game*

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Ok they have state of the art graphics, now can they please have a state of the art controls and inventory system too. Or at least one that doesn't act like Wizardry 1. Please!

sweet graphics, though ;)

btw, flaming dogs from the sky is better than the third picture. Good idea, maybe they should have used flaming cows instead of fireballs or meteors (whatever they are)? lol

Edited by Ellester

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Christy. Any word on the spec?

IIRC, none yet.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

These are supposedly the 'recommended' settings (not the minimums) from a while back. (page is not in English). Could be different now tho.

Athlon 64 3000+/P4 2,8 GHz,

1 GB RAM,

Geforce 6800 GT/Radeon X800 Pro

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

These are supposedly the current 'recommended' settings (not the minimums)

Athlon 64 3000+/P4 2,8 GHz,

1 GB RAM,

Geforce 6800 GT/Radeon X800 Pro

Sounds close to the same specs as in Oblivion.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I've been really really looking forward to this game. I still am, but those graphics are a bit of a disappointment. They look quite a bit more cartoony than Oblivion. Especially the npc avatars (what I assume are npcs avatars that is). Maybe its just the overbright colors. I also don't like the look of the battle axe or what I assume is a spear?

None of those things would keep me from buying the game, of course, but Oblivion has really upped the graphical ante for crpg gameworlds for me. Its tough to go backwards.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I know nothing about this series, but it reminds me of Warcraft, which has always had a bit of a cartoony appearance in characters. Probably just a style thing. The trees and grass and such all look close to being on par w/Oblivion to me. Hard to tell w/out running around the game tho.

The official site has a trailer..I haven't looked at it yet, it's big for the high-resolution one..

I know nothing about this series, but it reminds me of Warcraft, which has always had a bit of a cartoony appearance in characters. Probably just a style thing. The trees and grass and such all look close to being on par w/Oblivion to me. Hard to tell w/out running around the game tho.

The official site has a trailer..I haven't looked at it yet, it's big for the high-resolution one..

My first thought on seeing the graphics was WOW. And you're right, the background environments do look pretty much on par with the Oblivion. It's the monsters and npcs that look cartoony. But, like you said, stylistic.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Saw the small trailer version, which was ok, just small. Downloading the big version now while I eat pizza. :D

Edit: Well I've seen the hi-res trailer and other screenshots. Stylistically, I'd say this game has the scenery of Oblivion but the character style is a kind of cross between Warcraft and Guild Wars. It looked like they even have a monk-like model that reminded me a lot of the male monk from GW.

Edited by LadyCrimson

Screw the graphics. Does it really matter whether this has more advanced graphics than Oblivion or vice versa? If they stay to the previous series, the environment and gameplay will be miles ahead for my money.

As an aside...Warcraft? The characters are stylised but this is a dark and gritty gameworld - perhaps Warhammer might be closer to the mark. You won't find bright pastel colours here.

Does it really matter whether this has more advanced graphics than Oblivion or vice versa?

From someone who still plays Dungeon Keeper1 & Casear3, my personal answer is no, of course not. But CrashGirl sounded interested in graphical style, thus I ventured my opinion.

As to Warcraft reference...I didn't say they were pastel colored...just the drawing style reminded me of WC. You can have a simliar style w/out the same color scheme. :)

As to Warcraft reference...I didn't say they were pastel colored...just the drawing style reminded me of WC. You can have a simliar style w/out the same color scheme. :)

Of course you can...but to my eye those two are worlds apart. :)

How developed is the setting and how well done were the previous games' stories?

Gothic doesn't have the depth of lore that supports Elder Scrolls or a Forgotten Realms game but the in-game presentation is without doubt the most consistent and realistic gameworld ever presented.

The plots are mediocre but the narrative is pretty good with some interesting characters. The first Gothic has a unique atmosphere and the second (especially with the Night of the Raven addon) has some fantastic subplots, even if the overarching story is nothing special.

Ok they have state of the art graphics, now can they please have a state of the art controls and inventory system too. Or at least one that doesn't act like Wizardry 1. Please!

Already done.

I try not to look so much at the pictures from Gothic 3. For some reason they always disappoint me, even though they look graphically advanced and all that. I really liked the "old" style of the orcs and environments better so it'll take some getting used to to enjoy the new style in Gothic 3.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!