Sony Accuses Microsoft

The tech in the PS3's controller isn't "new technology" though, so your argument by nature is flawed.

For Sony it is, so your argument by nature is flawed.

Not neccesarily true.

//EDIT: No matter, 10k fists already provided with the same link.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Okay, I can understand the folks who say it's only about the games. I happen to be one of the folks who looks at the system as a whole. ...But why is it such a bad thing for Sony to put something new in their controller? If they can do it, and it enhances the gaming experience for folks playing their games, why not?

Maybe, but it seems more like a cheap gimmick at the moment. I recall Phil Harrison saying that all PS3 games would be using it... Very silly, since not all games need or benefit from the feature at all. I'm worried about it being something like the Nintendo DS, were developers might feel they need to use the features enough though they are far more cumbersome then unique or entertaining.

Edited by Haitoku

Sony didn't add a "halfbaked motionsensing tech" to their controller just before E3. It usually takes a lot longer than a few months (from Nintendo's revelation to E3) to develop and test a new technology. When Sony representatives said they had been developing the tech for 2.5 years it sounded much more likely, since they had working prototypes that actually looked like the near-finished design at E3.

http://www.ps3land.com/article-347.php

Not sure how reliable the info is, but apparantly, the developers knew nothing of the motion sensor... in other words, it was added last minute. :-

If Sony was that early with the tilt controller, why are people now all of a sudden claiming they stole it from Nintendo? Wouldn't it be Nintendo stealing it from Sony in that case?

I read a rumour about Sony trying add the tilt function into the PSP but they couldn't fit it. If that's true, they've been thinking about using the technology for a while already.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Whether they stole the idea from Nintendo, were too lazy to implement it before, or are going the route of cheap gimmicks, it seems to me that the important point should be the fun factor for the consumer.

Now, if every game must ship using such a feature, which really doesn't impress me no matter which system uses it, then I suppose that's a legitimate beef. ...But it really doesn't matter why Sony decided to develop the system. It only matter that it works out well for the consumer.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

If Sony was that early with the tilt controller, why are people now all of a sudden claiming they stole it from Nintendo? Wouldn't it be Nintendo stealing it from Sony in that case?

I read a rumour about Sony trying add the tilt function into the PSP but they couldn't fit it. If that's true, they've been thinking about using the technology for a while already.

Again, it wasn't a Sony-made controller, it was a 3rd party controller for the Playstation.

Microsoft had their own motion sensing controller as well. I believe it was released around 1998 (maybe earlier).

Here's a link to it it on Amazon (www.amazon.com). I remember trying it out in a store and not liking it.

edit: Just found out about the Le Stick (www.classicgaming.com) for the Atari 2600, and that the Microsoft controller was released in 1999.

A very unique stick style joystick. What makes this motorcycle grip style controller unique, are it's merucury switches. That's right, this stick sensed motion to control your on screen character.
Edited by LostStraw