NWN2 Multiplatform Support

Erm are you sure NWN2 is written in DirectX?

100% sure. I cant find the actual post but Electron is written in DirectX-D3D

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Resourceful. Good call. It also says this:

Obsidian decided to switch from OpenGL to Microsoft's DirectX Graphics API for NWN2, anticipating an Xbox 360 port of the game that never came to pass. Consequently the sequel will be Windows-only, unlike its predecessor which also ran on Linux and Mac OS X.
Edited by AngryKidJoe

Stand Your Convictions and You Will Walk Alone.

I told you, consoles are evil! Consoles robbed Linux and Mac user of NWN2, and still noone listens to me.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Resourceful. Good call. It also says this:
Obsidian decided to switch from OpenGL to Microsoft's DirectX Graphics API for NWN2, anticipating an Xbox 360 port of the game that never came to pass. Consequently the sequel will be Windows-only, unlike its predecessor which also ran on Linux and Mac OS X.

:) This is based on what?

I remember Dev(I think it was Brian Lawson) saying that when they started to make Electron newer version of OpenGL hadn

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Erm are you sure NWN2 is written in DirectX?

The FAQ is your friend:

http://www.nwn2news.net/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=29

http://www.nwn2news.net/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=102

oh and the new toolset is re-written in C# as well.

Edited by Rhomal

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

DirectX.. C#... proprietary formats are BAD, ok?

DirectX..  C#...    proprietary formats are BAD, ok?

Is it still bad when the proprietary format is free to use?

Glide required licensing, and was limited to a single company. Microsoft works with game developers and card manufacturers with DirectX. It's come a long way since the Direct3D days.

Obviously Microsoft is doing something right with DirectX, otherwise companies would just continue to use OpenGL.

From a consumer viewpoint; OpenGL is superior to D3D because it is not limited to only one platform, AND it can accomplish the same end result as the D3D that comes in Dx9.

C# is generally fishy with its need for .NET and from what Ive heard, theres a tiny clause that noone bothers to read that gives MS a certain right to whatever you write in C# since its their language. Kind of how the average person might think Gif and Jpeg files are free to use, but are proprietary and patented formats that you may not use commercially without permission from the license/patent holder.

(it may be a total rumour aswell, im not a programmer so I wouldnt really know)

JPEG:

Surprisingly, in contrast to the other major computer companies such as Sony and Philips, Microsoft has launched a major lawsuit against Forgent. In February 2006, the United States Patent and Trademark Office agreed to re-examine Forgent's JPEG patent at the request of the Public Patent Foundation. On May 26, 2006 the USPTO found the patent invalid based on prior art.

GIF (why not using PNG instead?):

The latest expiration date of the GIF-related patents will most probably be Friday, August 11, 2006.

Main Unisys patent expired long ago.

As for .NET, there is alternative implementation for Unix systems (Mono). Never used it, can't tell if it is production-ready.

Anyway, we wouldn't be getting a Linux/Mac port unless Atari gave the green light for it and Obsidian would take to make it. I was thinking about what I said about not getting a Linux port because it's DirectX but I've been playing around in some games and have noticed a Direct X / OpenGL option in a few of them. Going back, I recall Halflife giving a Direct3D / OpenGL.

I'm taking a shot in the dark, but it'd be possible, but they'd have to do a lot more work than if it was just coded in Open GL.

I also find it kind of ... suspicious (I guess) that nothing is being said about it anywhere. Only "If you have something to say about a Linux/Mac client post on the Atari boards." At BioWare your posts are now automaticly deleted - They don't even have a discussion on it.

It also makes me think that "they" (being everyone involved) are (or being told to) putting a lid on it and just waiting for it to simmer down and completely die off without flat out saying "No, no Linux."

It's just a bit boggling about the Linux server, too. I thought it was the status quo to have a Linux Server w/ all games...

// Meh, just blabbing really. Those are my thoughts on it at the moment and are subject to change by being fed correct knowledge.

EDIT: I'd just like to thank the Obsidian Staff and Moderator Team for allowing this thread to live. It's nice to actually discuss it. :thumbsup:

Edited by AngryKidJoe

Stand Your Convictions and You Will Walk Alone.

From a consumer viewpoint; OpenGL is superior to D3D because it is not limited to only one platform, AND it can accomplish the same end result as the D3D that comes in Dx9.

Is it? People have long since not bothered with the Macintosh as a gaming machine, and Linux isn't exactly winning over anyone that isn't a geek in terms of usage.

Luke: Vader... Is the dark side stronger?

Yoda: No, no, no. Quicker, easier, more seductive.

A few fast coments about this and that:

If I'm not wrong GIF is now free to use (although what kraftan said used to be true), have never heard that jpg had the same limits.

One reason that I can think of to choose D3D over openGL is that since it has a big company pushing for it the driver suport is generaly better. But on the other hand D3D has a higher driver overhead from what I have heard (although one of my teachers said that MS will probably change to a more GL like solution with a state-machine for DX10)

About the question of where its posible to have both. Of course you can have two different codepaths, It just takes a bit of extra work to write two versions of the renderer. But its not a question of writeing two whole game engines as some people seem to think (depends a bit on how good your engine design is I guess)

I think there was something else I wanted to comment on but I seem to have forgotten it now, oh well.

OpenGL is only more superior in versatility as far as I understand. Otherwise wouldn't we have more OpenGL based games thus more cross platform games in the PC world?

Exactly. If OpenGL was superior to DirectX, OpenGL would be used. Kind of like how OpenGL (and Glide) were much more popular back in the day.

From what I've heard, the problem with OpenGL is that the Architecture Review Board (ARB) is relatively slow at updating the API to keep up with the rapidly changing hardware. On the other hand, MS has an aggressive team that actually dictates to the hardware vendors the kind of features they want implemented.

I've tried my hand at both DX (7-era, pre-shaders) and OpenGL coding and personally I found DX to be a shoddy joke of an API. OpenGL was far more elegant, although I could honestly never get the hang of either of them - they were both too frighteningly stateful. I've heard that the new DX versions (esp. DX10) have cleaned up a lot of the garbage, most of which was supposed to have come from DX's COM origins.

OpenGL is only more superior in versatility as far as I understand. Otherwise wouldn't we have more OpenGL based games thus more cross platform games in the PC world?

Exactly. If OpenGL was superior to DirectX, OpenGL would be used. Kind of like how OpenGL (and Glide) were much more popular back in the day.

But the main reason why DirectX has become the top dog, is because Microsoft will shed no expense or effort into making Windows and Xbox the only choice for gamers.